Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-31-2015, 10:05 PM   #1
SeanD

Drives: 2008 Yaris Base Manual Hatchba
Does anyone know of a Factory 4 Button FOB for 2008 3D Yaris

My daughter lost all the original keys with FOBs (keyless entry devices). I have purchased replacements from 2 different places. Everywhere I look shows 3 button remotes, even Toyota. She swears hers was 4 buttons (including back hatch release).
I have tried many times with 3 Button remotes from different vendors. I go through the programming steps just fine, I get the lock/unlock ack and then I try both lock and unlock followed by lock .... NOTHING.

If you have one, please send me any identification info you see on it.

It is a 2008 vin:jtdjt903285190280 <corrected>

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sean

Last edited by SeanD; 08-01-2015 at 09:53 AM.
SeanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:00 AM   #2
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
Never saw a factory one.
The hatch lock being part of the door system would lock & unlock with the doors.
Mine is 4 button if you count the panic and aux button.
Sorry no help.
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:12 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
You have a digit wrong in your posted VIN.

There definitely was not an OEM power lock option with the hatch release. From the (correct) VIN I can tell if the car was built with OEM keyless entry, or if it actually had an aftermarket keyless entry system (which would make more sense with the 4 button remote)
Old 08-01-2015, 09:47 AM   #4
SeanD

Ooops Correct VIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
You have a digit wrong in your posted VIN.

There definitely was not an OEM power lock option with the hatch release. From the (correct) VIN I can tell if the car was built with OEM keyless entry, or if it actually had an aftermarket keyless entry system (which would make more sense with the 4 button remote)
Sorry lysdexia! VIN: jtdjt903285190280
Old 08-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #5
SeanD

What does AUX do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonfb View Post
Never saw a factory one.
The hatch lock being part of the door system would lock & unlock with the doors.
Mine is 4 button if you count the panic and aux button.
Sorry no help.
OK, but I think she was correct that the AUX button (not present on any I can find) opened the hatch. Her hatch release inside the car is electronic.

Got a part number, etc?
Old 08-01-2015, 09:50 AM   #6
SeanD

UPDATED Question.

I never tried the REPLACE programming, only ADD new remote. Could it be full and not accepting more?

Thanks,
Sean
Old 08-01-2015, 09:55 AM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
OK, but I think she was correct that the AUX button (not present on any I can find) opened the hatch. Her hatch release inside the car is electronic.

Got a part number, etc?
That definitely confirms non-OEM. No Yaris ever had a hatch release and definitely not an electronic one.

Now you need to poke around under the dash to find out what brand/model of keyless entry system is installed, so you can order a replacement remote for it.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #8
SeanD

Quote:
That definitely confirms non-OEM. No Yaris ever had a hatch release and definitely not an electronic one.

Now you need to poke around under the dash to find out what brand/model of keyless entry system is installed, so you can order a replacement remote for it.
OK, chalk that up to bad memory and confusing car models. No electronic hatch release - verified.

So, why won't it accept these new remotes? The fact that the key in, key out .. close and open ... routine goes into program mode and confirms with door lock/unlock seems to me to confirm Factory. We got it new from the dealer and it came with it.

Thanks for your response.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:22 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
OK, chalk that up to bad memory and confusing car models. No electronic hatch release - verified.

So, why won't it accept these new remotes? The fact that the key in, key out .. close and open ... routine goes into program mode and confirms with door lock/unlock seems to me to confirm Factory. We got it new from the dealer and it came with it.

Thanks for your response.
Have you tried rewrite, instead of add mode?
Old 08-01-2015, 10:20 PM   #10
SeanD

Quote:
Have you tried rewrite, instead of add mode?
Thanks again for your responses CT. I did get a chance to try REWRITE. I got to double lock/unlock confirmation and then it just does not seem to "hear" my remote.

I had a thought ... what fuse is the remote receiver on? That would explain my symptoms exactly. I don't think she has any blown fuses, I was just trying to figure out what would produce this situation. Of course dead receiver module is another choice.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:36 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks again for your responses CT. I did get a chance to try REWRITE. I got to double lock/unlock confirmation and then it just does not seem to "hear" my remote.

I had a thought ... what fuse is the remote receiver on? That would explain my symptoms exactly. I don't think she has any blown fuses, I was just trying to figure out what would produce this situation. Of course dead receiver module is another choice.
The door control receiver is on the DOME fuse. If that one was bad you wouldn't have a working radio or working dome lights, so I would not think that it is the issue. I is quite possible that something is wrong with the receiver.

With the Toyota Techstream diagnostics tool it would be possible to do significant troubleshooting.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #12
SeanD

Quote:
The door control receiver is on the DOME fuse. If that one was bad you wouldn't have a working radio or working dome lights, so I would not think that it is the issue. I is quite possible that something is wrong with the receiver.

With the Toyota Techstream diagnostics tool it would be possible to do significant troubleshooting.
OK, that is good news. I have ordered the laptop software and already have received the cable. I expect the software any day now. I may be asking advice on diagnostics very soon.

Thank you for your patients and for helping me track this down.

Sean

Tags
4 button, fob, keyless entry, keyless remote