Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-25-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
yarismaris
Banned

Drives: yaris
"Lube Job?"

These quick oil change place salways claim they "lube" your car. I thought lube nipples and lube points went away in the 1970s? Does anything on our Yaris need lube, or is it a ripoff?
yarismaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
I haven't seen one yet, but I am not a mechanic
Old 05-25-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
The little red pill
Taking care of Bubbles

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB "Bubbles"
Sometimes they lube your parking brake cable. I like it when they lube my parking brake cable!
Old 05-26-2009, 08:33 AM   #4
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Yes, rather misleading. Like those shops that offer seasonal maintenance packages which include a tune-up (parts extra charge). WHAT'S TO 'TUNE-UP' SINCE ELECTRONIC IGNITION AND EFI CAME ABOUT DECADES AGO?
Thanks, but keep your greasy fingers off!

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
They are called zerk fittings and some vehicles, such as my 2005 Jeep, still have them. However, I have yet to see any on my Yaris and even if they did exist; I wouldn't want some hamfisted bozo at these quick lube places to overfill them as that makes quite a mess (this from experience).
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #6
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Recommend staying away from those Quick Lube places as they can be amazingly incompetent.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
yarismaris
Banned

Thanks very much guys and gals. I do my own oil changes, but always wondered if I needed to "lube" anything. Any definitive answer on if Yaris has zerk fittings?
Old 05-26-2009, 07:11 PM   #8
yarismaris
Banned

I am finding it very difficult to find any information anywhere online about the Yaris having zerk fittings. I can call dealer tomorrow, but does anone know for sure? Thanks.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
They are called zerk fittings and some vehicles, such as my 2005 Jeep, still have them. However, I have yet to see any on my Yaris and even if they did exist; I wouldn't want some hamfisted bozo at these quick lube places to overfill them as that makes quite a mess (this from experience).
In the bad old days when grease fittings were common sometimes people would over fill the joints, causing them to "burst" or unseat. This allowed water to get in and caused accelerated wear. You especialy were taking your chances with tie-rod ends and upper ball joints, which would accumulate water if they opened up.

A good mechanic will give just enough to push some grease out of a slot cut in the boot for that purpose and no more.

Tune up? The Yaris has no points, breakers or anything that could be adjusted. A mechanic might test the oxygen sensor and other emission components to see if they're close to failure. Another good idea would be to check the catalytic converter for plugging by measuring back pressure. Just to check a oxygen sensor is time consuming and may not even be necessary in OBD-II units.

Aside filters, alignment and consumables like tires and wiper blades the Yaris is close to maintenance free.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:24 PM   #10
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I have been all under my Yaris and have yet to see a zerk fitting!

On the Jeep, they look like this:

It's a small metal nipple that usually has a rubber "donut" behind it (the reservoir that holds the grease, they expands when you add it).

Remember the Jeep is mostly 1940s' technology, hence the zerks. The Yaris is 21st Century, so you won't see 'em!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:34 PM   #11
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Recommend staying away from those Quick Lube places as they can be amazingly incompetent.
My last boss in dialysis was a character we called "Jiffy Lube Jack". Before he started as a foot soldier in dialysis he was a Jiffy Lube manager. He was hired on the "management track" and once a not for profit operation opened up nearby a few dissidents set up shop, taking Jack along for a management position.

For years he earned in the low $40,000 range to work seven hours a day, drink himself each evening into a near stupor and then come to work "hung over". Jack had a bad drinking and gambling problem. One day he announced that he would no longer cover Saturdays because he was taking a second job to pay for his gambling habit. Not long thereafter a buddy called me up for a job in R&D. Sayonara, Jack.

His other claim to fame was refusing to push for NANT (National Association of Nephrology Technicians) training because he didn't want some of his subordinates to "get ideas". These kids had the most bizarre ideas about how to repair things. One of them created a "ground strap" out of wire - you're supposed to have some resistance in a ground strap for safety purposes but the boy figured "less is more". I used to call it his "employee intelligence improvement device", if it killed him the aggregate IQ of the staff would rise sharply.

As far as I know Jack is still there, muddling along, and getting ripped several nights a week, coming home, having fist fights with his kids and then sacking out. The fights were extraordinary, sometimes the kids would get knocked out or put through walls. He'd come in banged up talking about how he had to "straighten one of them out" but he sounded concerned that they were "growing larger" and would one day, "knock me on the my ass".

I'll never go to one of those places... they put rot gut oil into your car and hire whoever will work for the wages they pay. Apparently their managers aren't much better.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:51 PM   #12
yarismaris
Banned

Wow. That is good to know.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #13
The little red pill
Taking care of Bubbles

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB "Bubbles"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post

For years he earned in the low $40,000 range to work seven hours a day, drink himself each evening into a near stupor and then come to work "hung over".
Wow. $40,000 a year working only 7 hours a day. Sign me up! lol. That's amazing pay for a lube shop.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #14
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
doesn't our manual say something about lubing joints if you drive on dirt roads? I swear I remember reading that in the 08 LB manual.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #15
yarismaris
Banned

Crap lol I am calling dealer tomorrow about this issue to settle it once and for all.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:45 AM   #16
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
doesn't our manual say something about lubing joints if you drive on dirt roads? I swear I remember reading that in the 08 LB manual.
Joints??there are no lube points on the car in the traditional sense where a car would have a dozen or so grease fittings usually suspension related,now its all prepacked fittings that usually last a long time if not the life of the car,you can lube things like door,trunk and hood hinges and parts of the wiper mechanism.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:45 AM   #17
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarismaris View Post
These quick oil change place salways claim they "lube" your car. I thought lube nipples and lube points went away in the 1970s? Does anything on our Yaris need lube, or is it a ripoff?
Most replacement steering and suspension parts will need to be greased, and maybe they'll have the inititive to lube door and hood pivot points, latches, sway bar bushings, etc...

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:10 PM   #18
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
A chimpanzee, fresh from the zoo could do a better job than 99% of the kids that are working for these Quicky Lubes. Do it yourself and do it right! The Yaris is so easy to do an oil change on!

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote