Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #55
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_miles View Post
Gah! I was just about to post that. lol. Glad I'm not the only one who sees it.
Me too. One of the reasons that post made me laugh was that it echoed part of my first impression.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #56
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Strike 2 .
Old 04-23-2013, 11:31 PM   #57
nookandcrannycar

I hope, as several people have indicated might be the case, that many of those styling cues are limited to the Chinese market. If not, I'll make sure that my replacement is a new 3rd Gen at the end of that run.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #58
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
I like the interior of the new sedan. Like some others said, the sedan is a lot more common around here than the hatch, but both are fairly prominent. It's rare I go a day without seeing at least 2 Yarii on the road.

I just don't like how newer cars look in general. To me it's just like every auto maker out there is making the same car. I miss the 90s/early 00s when there was a pretty wide variance in how vehicles looked. All the USDM muscle car things might as well be the same car, and every sedan/hatch anyone makes might as well be the same car. What happened to unique styling?

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #59
Delfire
Quebec greekster

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Sorry to say but the Vios has kinda Ford Focus Q's it should stay in Asia.... Bring something more aggressive looking though, would preffer it hadThe Kia's aggressivenes rather the Fords. lolll
Delfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #60
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I've read reviews on other sites (Edmunds and Yahoo IIRC) written by people who felt that was a real negative that they didn't think of before buying their cars. I guess it's all in what one experiences...has never come up for me...knock on wood.
I'd kick someone out of my car for doing that, without a second thought.

Those pics look extremely similar to the Prius C.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #61
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I'd kick someone out of my car for doing that, without a second thought.
But haven't you removed the rear seat in your Yaris?
Old 04-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #62
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
But haven't you removed the rear seat in your Yaris?
exactly. That is how mad it would make me, they don't even get a chance to be a backseat driver.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:19 AM   #63
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
exactly. That is how mad it would make me, they don't even get a chance to be a backseat driver.
^^^^^

This subject makes me think about the drveway where my aunt and uncle live. They live in a high end country club community. My uncle is a good friend of the original developer and the developer let him pick out the lot he and my aunt wanted. Most of the original layout of the golf course was on flat land, with a few holes and a couple of dozen homes up a bit on a steep hill. The golf holes on the hill cut accross the side of the hill and the uphill side was barren land (filled in by houses and continuation of the streets many years later. My aunt and uncle live at the end of a long driveway that cuts across the hill just as the golf holes do. The driveway is the first driveway on the left after one starts up the steep hill. One of the golf holes is along the uphill side of the driveway and the 5 houses before my aunt and uncle's house are along the left side of the driveway. Those 5 houses look out on the street below and then more houses and more of the golf course beyond that. My aunt and uncle's house has a slight bit of the same view the other 5 do, but mostly looks onto the golf course (as it is on the golf course) and a perfectly centered view of one of tallest mountains in the SF Bay Area.

My aunt and uncle have lived there for decades and I lived within 10 miles of them for most of my life before movings to Texas. The neighbors are thus well aware of where I am going. I've also visited many times in the last 6-7 years, so the neighbors are well aware of my Yaris...................................I don't know if the 5 neighbors along the driveway resent anyone connected with the best located house at the end or if they think a Yaris is too plebian to be in their midst, but almost invariably (I'M GOING MY USUAL 'SO SLOW I'm about to stall' (maybe 5-7 MPH) with my stereo off as well) if any neighbors are standing in a personal driveway chatting when I drive by, one of the members of the group will stop and make a HAND MOTION FOR ME TO SLOW DOWN........ ....and it isn't a 55+ community.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #64
Lippitt

Drives: honda accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
There are actually some now that say having a stick instead of a slushbox offers more distraction. I actually attribute it to the perpetuation of laziness. I forced my daughter to learn stick and will also do so with my son. I personally feel that you are a better driver with a stick as you are more attuned to the vehicle.
I totally agree with you there, when the time comes i'll be teaching my son the same thing too!
Don't believe you can be much of a good driver without the stick tbh!
Lippitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #65
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
^^^^^

This subject makes me think about the drveway where my aunt and uncle live. They live in a high end country club community. My uncle is a good friend of the original developer and the developer let him pick out the lot he and my aunt wanted. Most of the original layout of the golf course was on flat land, with a few holes and a couple of dozen homes up a bit on a steep hill. The golf holes on the hill cut accross the side of the hill and the uphill side was barren land (filled in by houses and continuation of the streets many years later. My aunt and uncle live at the end of a long driveway that cuts across the hill just as the golf holes do. The driveway is the first driveway on the left after one starts up the steep hill. One of the golf holes is along the uphill side of the driveway and the 5 houses before my aunt and uncle's house are along the left side of the driveway. Those 5 houses look out on the street below and then more houses and more of the golf course beyond that. My aunt and uncle's house has a slight bit of the same view the other 5 do, but mostly looks onto the golf course (as it is on the golf course) and a perfectly centered view of one of tallest mountains in the SF Bay Area.

My aunt and uncle have lived there for decades and I lived within 10 miles of them for most of my life before movings to Texas. The neighbors are thus well aware of where I am going. I've also visited many times in the last 6-7 years, so the neighbors are well aware of my Yaris...................................I don't know if the 5 neighbors along the driveway resent anyone connected with the best located house at the end or if they think a Yaris is too plebian to be in their midst, but almost invariably (I'M GOING MY USUAL 'SO SLOW I'm about to stall' (maybe 5-7 MPH) with my stereo off as well) if any neighbors are standing in a personal driveway chatting when I drive by, one of the members of the group will stop and make a HAND MOTION FOR ME TO SLOW DOWN........ ....and it isn't a 55+ community.
I hate that. And those stupid yellow 'slow down' signs. I actually stopped the car and screamed and some one that did that to me. You should have seen that person, they never expect someone of my stature to climb out of the Yaris. It makes for wonderful reactions.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #66
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
I hate that. And those stupid yellow 'slow down' signs. I actually stopped the car and screamed and some one that did that to me. You should have seen that person, they never expect someone of my stature to climb out of the Yaris. It makes for wonderful reactions.
You're right, that would be fun (in an anonymous situation). In that particular situation I just endured because if I did otherwise, my aunt would have been mortified. She is a dear, sweet person who treats me (in very good ways) more like a second son than a nephew (my departed mother was her sister and only sibling).

I know what you mean about people not expecting a tall, substantial guy to get out of a small car. I don't get that as much with my Yaris as I did with the last generation (2001) Suzuki Swift I had before my Yaris. I've never had anyone say anything about the Yaris being a clown car, but I did hear that term when I had my Swift.