Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-05-2009, 08:16 PM   #55
360cubes

Drives: 2000
Send a message via MSN to 360cubes
I liked almost all of Csaba's articles. It's too bad that as of this month he's retired from C&D!

Still, forget the 1982 Z28 and such, they're no longer produced. Not that I say they're bad or terrible rides, as they were once top notch in their day. The new camaro V6 puts out over 300hp and does 0-60 in 6sec flat with an AUTO!! Too bad the roofline's too low for me to sit up properly. It was tempting but again, too big for the wife to drive.
360cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #56
427chev

Drives: 2009 Yaris with TRD parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360cubes View Post
I liked almost all of Csaba's articles. It's too bad that as of this month he's retired from C&D!

Still, forget the 1982 Z28 and such, they're no longer produced. Not that I say they're bad or terrible rides, as they were once top notch in their day. The new camaro V6 puts out over 300hp and does 0-60 in 6sec flat with an AUTO!! Too bad the roofline's too low for me to sit up properly. It was tempting but again, too big for the wife to drive.
I bought a new 2009 Corvette last summer and sold it after 3 months after taking it back to the dealership 8 times for a host of problems, not the least of which was a seat that was so bad that I couldn't sit in it.

I will NEVER own another GM car after that experience (and the $10K hit I took).
2009 Base model Bayou Blue 3 door hatch, 5 speed manual trans, Option Group D, factory floor mats, accessory mud guards, TRD shocks/springs/rear bar, TRD leather wrapped shift knob, Pioneer FH-P8000BT "double DIN" head unit & 4 Infiniti Kappa speakers, stainless steel license plate screws, Toyota stainless exhaust tip, enhanced driver's seat (professional upholsterer added spring mesh to lower seat cushion which DRAMATICALLY improved support/comfort and also built up lumbar region in seat back for more aggressive lumbar support. Seat Mod Cost: $125; the seat "feels" $350 better.)
427chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:24 AM   #57
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZINBLUEVITZ View Post
you must not know what a viper motor ram truck can do......
suck down gas faster then you can pump it?

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:44 AM   #58
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

I must interject here that my little yaris beat a 2005 monte carlo... Although I must admit it was an automatic and had the smallest engine they came with that year. A 180HP 3.4L V6...

Old 04-11-2012, 01:01 AM   #59
LEXX
0-60 IN UNDER FIVE

Drives: 2008 Blk on Blk Yaris Sedan
Mine goes 0-60 around 5 secs sometimes a little under depending on the day.

The only car that ever gave me any competition was a mean sounding 2011 mustang with probably about 400 -500 hp (everything else just totally disappears in my rearview mirror). And even he had a hard time passing me. He was a car length behind me off of the light until about 65 mph... and even then he only got a nose length ahead topping out at 70 until he decided to veer off a side road. Probably freaked out because a Yaris was so hard to overtake. My engine was hot by that time anyway from taking off 5 minutes earlier from a car who completely disappeared in my rearview. If the Mustang had caught me while my engine was warmer he might not of passed me at all before turning. Just hung next to me.

And I live around a good amount of hi performance exotics. Lambos.... Ferraris that come out in the spring and summer. I passed a lambo revving around a curve at the mall once (small space) and probably made the driver pee in his pants a little when he saw what flew up in his rear view mirror and passed him on the right. Then he probably laughed after seeing what it was when he was stopped behind me :)~. If we had been on the highway I obviously wouldve got left at 80 miles an hour. But I doubt theres any other stock economy cars that can hang like that with an exotic.

I havent got left yet.

With just 15 inch rims, hi performance tires, a perfect low centered alignment, and an oil change with a certain mix of oil and techron fuel system cleaner my car is hard to beat by anything on the road.

I should get some of the footage up on Youtube but I can't figure out how people are attaching the camera phones to the dashboard and shooting it. The dash on the yaris sucks. Would have to get a friend to tape it but then the extra weight would probably kill the race a little :o/
LEXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #60
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
i can vouch for this. my first car was a 84 camaro (not z28) and it was SLOWWW.

i remember i raced a friends chevy cavalier and a new (at the time) 3 banger geo metro and they both blew me away.
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #61
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427chev View Post
Some of the younger members on the board may be unaware of the fact that the performance of today's Yaris is on par with many V8 "performance cars" from the later 1970s through earlier 1980s.

I drove enough of these to know that my 5 speed manual Yaris is TRULY at least as quick as some of those cars, including this one.

This is a 1982 Z28 Camaro equipped with the optional "performance" engine (Throttle Body Injected 5.0 liter V8). The car required 9.7 seconds to hot 60 MPH and barely cracked 80 MPH through the quarter.

http://www.thirdgen.org/1982camaroz28-mt-january1982
It was the introduction of emissions' stuff... Seriously, check the 60-70 cars...
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:21 AM   #62
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Holy thread resurrection Batman! lol but seriously LEXX, I love my Yaris and it is surprisingly quick, but your story sounds a little hard to believe... I have never felt drag racing was the Yaris' forte. It eats curves with mild upgrades, but drag racing a 400 - 500 hp mustang... dunno...

Old 04-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #63
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
most of what he wrote was a joke. Sarcasm doesn't translate well, but yea, early 80's sports cars were anything but sporty, just take a look at the numbers.

http://www.thirdgen.org/1982-chevy-camaro? The bottom three versions of the 82 camaro has less hp than a Yaris. And this is when rules on measuring hp was anything but normalized. Everything in that era has bad hp numbers compared to before smog rules and to when manufacturers figured them out.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #64
Profotoiam

Drives: yaris
lexx is on a good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXX View Post
Mine goes 0-60 around 5 secs sometimes a little under depending on the day.

The only car that ever gave me any competition was a mean sounding 2011 mustang with probably about 400 -500 hp (everything else just totally disappears in my rearview mirror). And even he had a hard time passing me. He was a car length behind me off of the light until about 65 mph... and even then he only got a nose length ahead topping out at 70 until he decided to veer off a side road. Probably freaked out because a Yaris was so hard to overtake. My engine was hot by that time anyway from taking off 5 minutes earlier from a car who completely disappeared in my rearview. If the Mustang had caught me while my engine was warmer he might not of passed me at all before turning. Just hung next to me.

And I live around a good amount of hi performance exotics. Lambos.... Ferraris that come out in the spring and summer. I passed a lambo revving around a curve at the mall once (small space) and probably made the driver pee in his pants a little when he saw what flew up in his rear view mirror and passed him on the right. Then he probably laughed after seeing what it was when he was stopped behind me :)~. If we had been on the highway I obviously wouldve got left at 80 miles an hour. But I doubt theres any other stock economy cars that can hang like that with an exotic.

I havent got left yet.

With just 15 inch rims, hi performance tires, a perfect low centered alignment, and an oil change with a certain mix of oil and techron fuel system cleaner my car is hard to beat by anything on the road.

I should get some of the footage up on Youtube but I can't figure out how people are attaching the camera phones to the dashboard and shooting it. The dash on the yaris sucks. Would have to get a friend to tape it but then the extra weight would probably kill the race a little :o/
Profotoiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #65
joe keeney

Drives: yaris 2 door hatch
I say not only fast but handeling is unbeliveable. Me and moma rolling down hwy 96 out of Jasper pouring rain. Were doing around 65 I see headligths in my rearview mirror, weaving in and out of traffic. Pulled up along side a kid in a 325 i bmw. He want to roll so we did. At 95 he can,t hold in the rain, so I showed him my tail lights and pull away from the driving machine. Yaris in Texas you got to love it.
joe keeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #66
chaditotx

Drives: 2007 3dr hb 5sp
There's only one car that really stood out to me in the eighty's, prolly a 1987 Buick Grand National. Everything else seemed to be smogged to death.
Even 60's and 70's weren't all that. The technology wasn't there. Getting over 100 horses out of a 1.5 liter would have been some serious rocket science back in the day.
chaditotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #67
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41magmag41 View Post
Well i could get my 10 speed bike to 60 in about 9.5 seconds down hill and with a good tail wind. LOL
I could get my bicycle from zero to 60 in under 6 seconds by riding it off a cliff...

...but I could only do it once.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #68
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaditotx View Post
There's only one car that really stood out to me in the eighty's, prolly a 1987 Buick Grand National. Everything else seemed to be smogged to death.
Even 60's and 70's weren't all that. The technology wasn't there. Getting over 100 horses out of a 1.5 liter would have been some serious rocket science back in the day.
My Dad had been a Buick Mechanic back in the day, when the Grand National came out he had renewed faith in the brand. But as happened so often back then, GM Corperate killed this car because it was faster and much cheaper than the Corvette. Even today the Buick Grand National is still one sweet ride and pulls huge numbers on Barrett-Jackson.

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #69
RikBakke

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 Dr LB
For 1978, the Ford Fiesta was faster in 0-60mph than the tricked out Mustang II V8.
RikBakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #70
TPA5
Wait, what?

Drives: NULL
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I could get my bicycle from zero to 60 in under 6 seconds by riding it off a cliff...

...but I could only do it once.

Very interesting thread, it's funny to think our little cars have the same pep as V8's.

Still, there's something to be said for sound...and rear-wheel drive burnouts. Plus, the torque put out by a V8 will be more than a humble 4-cyl (At least, I'm guessing. Haven't checked the torque specs for the cars mentioned). In any case, it's pretty cool how far technology has come in terms of smaller engines making the same 0-60, but with 45mpg.
TPA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #71
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
It was the introduction of emissions' stuff... Seriously, check the 60-70 cars...
The cutoff for the good ones was about 1972. After that came the government mandated EGR pumps. It took a lot of years to refine the emissions equipment.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #72
LEXX
0-60 IN UNDER FIVE

Drives: 2008 Blk on Blk Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDefeat View Post
Holy thread resurrection Batman! lol but seriously LEXX, I love my Yaris and it is surprisingly quick, but your story sounds a little hard to believe... I have never felt drag racing was the Yaris' forte. It eats curves with mild upgrades, but drag racing a 400 - 500 hp mustang... dunno...

lol didnt see the date stamped on this thing. 3 YEARS AGO. I dont even remember how I found it. Probably through a search for something else.

Yea I know most people wont believe it unless they see it. That's why I love pulling off these guys with whats supposed to be hi performance cars and they get left like a family sedan. They dont believe it either when it happens to them lol. But it's an everyday thing for me so it's no biggie. The car's been driving like that everyday for the last year I've been keeping it up.

I'll get some footage up on youtube and link it in here.