Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-23-2010, 04:34 AM   #1
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
Doing Everything Yourself

I got on the forum here to get some good information and ideas about modifications I wanted to do to my Yaris. While I understand that there are those who would have no trouble completely dismantling their car and putting it back together, I am not one of those people.

I was a computer repair tech for 25 years, and I saw more than my fair share of people who "thought" they knew exactly what they were doing when they started "self-repairing" the their PC. When they finally called me it was in a far worse state and ended up costing way more than it would if the person had just picked up the phone and called me in the first place...without pranking around with it first.

That's the way I am with cars, and while there are things I don't mind tackling, there are things I don't want to mess with myself. One of the things I don't want to attempt is window tinting. Been there, done that. Wasted money on film, thinking I could do a pro job when I wasn't a pro at it. I have taken my vehicles in for tinting for the last 20 years because I know I'm no good at it. To that end, I expect the tint job I pay for to be perfect, and when I had the Yaris tinted, it ended up going back a total of 3 times because of one little issue or another.

I do nothing under the hood except check the oil and air filter. I make no repairs there because I'm just no good at it. I have AAA partly because, if I have a breakdown, I don't want to lie out in the hot or cold under the car trying to figure things out. Just get it towed somewhere that does know. I don't change the oil or filter. I take it in to either the dealer when they have a special or to a local oil change place down the road.

So, while I have done things to my car like change out my tail lights, tap into the brake lights to install an LED license plate frame, and other fairly simple mods, I have no intention of taking off my bumper and installing my fog lights, for example. I just don't feel comfortable doing that, and have elected to pay a custom shop to do that. Yes, I got the wiring kit from Garm and complete instructions, but I am not comfortable installing the lights themselves. There are 3 little dings in the sides of the car from its Hertz days that are being removed from this same shop at the same time they install the fogs. Now, there may be 1,000 ways to possibly get those dings out without paying $50 each, but again, I don't feel comfortable doing it, and I expect it to look perfect when I get the car back. That's another reason I pay for having certain things done...I expect it to be perfect, and it it isn't, it is fixed until it is perfect. I paid for a perfect job because I took it to a place that specializes in it.

Now, many on this forum will call me a wimp and pus for not being a "man" and taking it apart or rewiring the entire vehicle, but that's okay. I know my limitations, and while I'm a helluva computer person, I'm no mechanic...nor am I a plumber, BTW (I call them too). There are people who do amazing things who are trained in those things, and while I know what I want my car to look like in the end, I am in no position to make that happen in most cases except with my wallet.

One good example is when I got my ABS spoiler/wing in that I bought off ebay. It was just a hunk of gray plastic, and while the instructions didn't say anything about drilling holes, I saw 2 bolts and nuts that told me it was going to have to be drilled somewhere. I called and made an appointment with that custom shop to have it painted and mounted. It took all day long, but it matched the paint job perfectly, and when I got the car they had done the drilling and that wing was magically mounted. All I wanted was to see the finished product like I had envisioned it.

So, I do what I feel comfortable with, and I leave the rest to a professional. I know what I want the end result to be, and if I don't feel like I can make that happen with my own two hands, I will call someone who can make that happen for me. And no, I'm not a pus.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
You got to know your limitations. Hey, you own one and that's a plus in my book. When my puter breaks I'll call you. Change oil and filter in exchange.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:59 AM   #3
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
...Now, many on this forum will call me a wimp and pus for not being a "man" and taking it apart or rewiring the entire vehicle, but that's okay. I know my limitations, and while I'm a helluva computer person, I'm no mechanic...nor am I a plumber, BTW (I call them too). There are people who do amazing things who are trained in those things, and while I know what I want my car to look like in the end, I am in no position to make that happen in most cases except with my wallet...
I feel for you, Chris. I think that everywhere you go you are going to run into the few individuals with the mentality of "well, I did it, so you have to be able to do it too!" I know that when I was installing my fogs, and mentioned on here that it was a pretty daunting task for me, someone said, "leave the hard work to the big boys." I mean, really? Is that helpful?

I just think of it this way: I'd rather be "wimp" that has the intelligence to know knows my limitations when it comes to modding my car, than the "manly" man that dives in head first and screws things up.

Regardless, your car looks great, and I wish you the best with it.

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:02 AM   #4
chrisj

Thanks fellas. :)
Old 09-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I agree with you Chris and think that you should approach it as a glass is half full mentality. You are right, there will be those that will have their pot shots to be said about you. If I have learned one thing about forum life is that you have to develop a thick skin. Do you have to put up with it when they do make those snide comments, that is up to you to decide. Am I mechanically inclined? Sure. Was it natural? Nope, I went to school for an automotive tech degree. Can I rebuild an engine? Yup. Will I? Yes and no. I am like you in that I will pick and choose my battles.

You made a great example about having those dings pulled. I would do the same. Did I install my angel eye fogs? Nope. I have been dealing with PC, voice, and network related wiring for about 15 years, but I HATE dealing with automotive wiring. I cannot place a finger on why, but I do. Now the funny thing is that if you asked me to deal with wiring on a car pre 1980 I would probably not have an issue with it, but then again my background for autos really are classics and muscle cars.

Kind of funny how all of this works right? I can't tell you how many times I have run across someone that tried to give me shit for not doing certain things to my car all on my own, yet these are the same people that would come to me because the power supply in their PC died and they are clueless. To me that is very simple to replace and I am sure that you would agree. Or else how about setting up the wireless network on their laptop (without using Cisco Valet)...so many are lost, yet do I give them shit for it? Nope.

I suppose that you could say that with great efforts comes great rewards right? Take pimp_my_yaris and Focus_Sh1ft. They put together their turbo builds all on their own and I commend them for that. I am sure that once they have all of their bugs ironed out they will have one of those truly awesome "puff out your chest" moments. Am I putting together my own kit or will I be installing my turbo on my own? Nope. F those that want to give me shit for it. I can design, build, and implement an extremely complex voice deployment that will connect 80 countries worldwide and allow the end user to be able to talk to another coworker from 10,000 miiles away with a four digit extension. I am doing that right now. Tell me how many of those that wish to tear you down for knowing your own limits or how much you really want to put up with match that expertise! haha!

I applaud you for allowing those in the forum to get to know you through the threads that you have begun and have been engaged in so far. I know that I pay attention to that and so do others.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
chrisj

Thanks fnkngrv. Yeah, I have worked on many seemingly simple tasks on computers that I just roll my eyes (when alone of course!) on, but I certainly don't berate the person for not knowing something so simple to me. Besides, in lots of cases they were paying me, and in lots of cases these people paid me to do the simplest of tasks they just didn't want to fool with. Same with me on the car. I want what I want, but I don't necessarily want to install a bay and do it all myself. I get giggly when I am able to hook up something stupid like the LED dome light replacement I did, which was just a plug-in thing, but believe me, I point it out to everyone who comments on it. "Yeah, I did that" is what I say. :) There is also the other side, where I rigged that license plate frame to the brake light, I just stood and looked at the frame, then the area where the brake light was, and wondered how the hell I would get from Point A to B. I got on here and someone pointed out how to do it, but it sure wasn't as easy as they made it sound. In fact, I removed my license plate light one too many times, and broke the latch on it, having to put on a couple of glue dots to hold it in until I order a new one. In that case, I did succeed in my mission, but not without cost...the license plate light. If I had it to do over, I would probably lump that in with the fog install next week!

So yeah, I know my limitations. I do what I feel comfortable doing and leave the rest to someone else. Another factor in my case is that I am disabled and getting down and under the car or maneuvering under the dash is almost impossible for me. So that also limits what I can do. I appreciate your uplifting comments. Made me feel better. :)
Old 09-23-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
So when my PC crashes its a road trip to Eastern KY? LOL
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:41 AM   #8
chrisj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
So when my PC crashes its a road trip to Eastern KY? LOL
Sure!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
WTH!!! Grow a pair already!

j/k

Nice, honest post chrisj
Old 09-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Chris, you are welcome. I really beat myself a couple weeks back when I removed my console section that the shifter goes through in install another 12v DC plug for the back seat area....I broke off one of the clips It could happen even to the guys in the shop, but still...it sucks. That console section runs 90 bucks and I already paid out 45 to replace the door/tray below the drive's side cup holder.

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #11
chrisj

Well, I've got another project to look forward to, when I get a new head unit (seen elsewhere in the forums). I have printed pictures of removing the side plastic pieces on the dash, but it will still be a nerve-wracking operation, I'm sure. I ask as many questions as possible first, print out pictures, and do all I can to make sure I have enough information to do the job.

Matter of fact, I emailed Garm a couple of times asking about the bezels on the fog lights to make sure they would fit my '09 LB. Of course, I also printed out specific instructions on how I want those wired...into the park lights. When I go to the shop to get that done on the 30th, I will take all my info, pictures, and parts, and just wait for them to be done the way I asked.

Of course it's more costly (dollar-wise) to ask someone else to do anything for you, but in the long run I have to decide whether it's more beneficial to my sanity to just bite the bullet and pay up. :)
Old 09-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #12
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
Of course it's more costly (dollar-wise) to ask someone else to do anything for you

Not always the case by a long shot. I remember the first time that I tried to build and mount my first subs on my own in the box. I put the drill I was using to screw in the...well, screws (haha) right through the cone! That was a costly mistake. If I would have had the shop do it and that happened they would have been liable....well depending. I know that a lot of shops nowadays make you sign a waver that they are not responsible for any damage they incur during their work...but I digress...point being it could be much more costly sometime to do it yourself!

Old 09-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #13
chrisj

Oh yes. One thing about getting a shop to do things is that they are generally liable for any damage, and if I do it I am liable! Also, you pay for the finished job, and I always get an estimate before, so if it takes longer to get the job done right, I am still paying what I was quoted.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #14
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Of course, I also printed out specific instructions on how I want those wired...into the park lights. When I go to the shop to get that done on the 30th, I will take all my info, pictures, and parts, and just wait for them to be done the way I asked.
Nice to see someone who realises what fogs are for, and how to use the things. I get so frikkin' tired of the idiots who think they need to drive around town with their "driving lights" on.
If I had a BB gun....
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:38 AM   #15
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Oh yes. One thing about getting a shop to do things is that they are generally liable for any damage, and if I do it I am liable! Also, you pay for the finished job, and I always get an estimate before, so if it takes longer to get the job done right, I am still paying what I was quoted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Nice to see someone who realises what fogs are for, and how to use the things. I get so frikkin' tired of the idiots who think they need to drive around town with their "driving lights" on.
If I had a BB gun....
I'm with ya on that one, Steve. Good to see you.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #16
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
If I had a BB gun....
Yeah, but it looks cool
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:25 AM   #17
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
WTF?
If you have a question on DIY ask it. Making a speech about how you dont wantt to work on your car in the DIY section makes no sense. Probably should have been in a discussion section. Just sayin....
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #18
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankrobber View Post
WTF?
If you have a question on DIY ask it. Making a speech about how you dont wantt to work on your car in the DIY section makes no sense. Probably should have been in a discussion section. Just sayin....
Chris, are these the bolts you are referring too? If so, these will work on the spoiler as well.

Now its a DIY
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote