Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #19
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
I have not seen or heard of this story. If there was a shortage of fuel and people were fighting and stealing because of the shortage it would make it onto every news channel in Iowa. You do anything in large numbers in Iowa it is all over the news, no matter what part of the state you live in. Again I have not even heard of a single instance of this. I am not saying it did not happen but where did you get your info from?
I'm having difficulty in finding the article as it was just an RSS feed from Grist.org at the time, but I do remember that the article was not clear on exactly where the fighting was. It mentioned that the fuel shortage reached as far as Iowa, but not specifically that there was fist fighting in that State.

There are other examples of fuel shortages in the U.S., though. Here's one from September 2008 due to hurricanes Ike and Gustav that reached as far as Atlanta and Nashville, and which lasted for up to 8 days:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...092504159.html

http://www.allthatsevil.net/?p=458

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #20
Sidicas

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothman86 View Post
So this is based on driving 40 miles a day only (how far does the range extender allow you to drive?)

Let's say...it extends the range 40 miles for sake of all fairness...
On the volt? It's 300 miles... Not only that, but the "range extender" is very easily replaceable.. You can yank it out of there and put in a hydrogen, fuel cell, or diesel range extender.. Whichever takes your fancy. All the range extender is, is a generator..

Quote:
Anyone have a good reason why to buy, besides the "environmental" reason?
There's quite a few good reasons to buy, one of the more popular ones being that electric motors have ridiculous amounts of torque in them. I mean, there's not a single gas powered car out there that can really compete with the electric Tesla roadsters as far as I know. Gas powered cars have been around for ages, you'd think gas engines would have advanced to the point where they could leap the torque barriers without massive engine sizes and weight, but apparently not.

Electric cars are the next high end sports cars.. No doubt there. 0-60 in <3.7 seconds. And that is just the first generation of electric cars. Think about comparing the model-T to a modern high end sports car to see how much gas engine technology has evolved.. Then think of the Tesla roadsters as beating the doors off pretty much every gas car out there and realize that the roadsters are pretty much the model-T of electric cars. I expect to see the day where most cars on the highway can do 0-60 in less than a second with the right set of tires and advancements in electric engine tech..

Last edited by Sidicas; 12-27-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Sidicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:43 PM   #21
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
^^ there's a ton of cars faster than the tesla, for around the same price, and we are very far from the first generation of electric cars, the tesla really shouldn't even be considered 2nd generation.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:59 PM   #22
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
IMO, electric cars are definately a major part of the future.

However, they need further developement to to became mainstream and not be just a esoteric form of transportation

1) The price needs to come down to the level of comparative gas cars.
2) The range needs to be increase a bit,
3) The avalibility of charging staions/outlets outside the home are needed.

IMO, the needs of an electric car to become mainsteam are akin to those that gas powered cars faced in displacing the hores and buggy, namely cost, support and pacticality.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:43 AM   #23
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidicas View Post
On the volt? It's 300 miles... Not only that, but the "range extender" is very easily replaceable.. You can yank it out of there and put in a hydrogen, fuel cell, or diesel range extender.. Whichever takes your fancy. All the range extender is, is a generator..

There's quite a few good reasons to buy, one of the more popular ones being that electric motors have ridiculous amounts of torque in them. I mean, there's not a single gas powered car out there that can really compete with the electric Tesla roadsters as far as I know. Gas powered cars have been around for ages, you'd think gas engines would have advanced to the point where they could leap the torque barriers without massive engine sizes and weight, but apparently not.

Electric cars are the next high end sports cars.. No doubt there. 0-60 in <3.7 seconds. And that is just the first generation of electric cars. Think about comparing the model-T to a modern high end sports car to see how much gas engine technology has evolved.. Then think of the Tesla roadsters as beating the doors off pretty much every gas car out there and realize that the roadsters are pretty much the model-T of electric cars. I expect to see the day where most cars on the highway can do 0-60 in less than a second with the right set of tires and advancements in electric engine tech..
I've been trying to find out what kind of generator they used all day, where did you find that out? I even looked on the GM site...maybe I missed it? I know it was on wikipedia but the link doesn't work anymore...so

Oh well I found it and they are using a 1.4 L Motor so yes it is a generator.

So I'm guessing you have this 1.4 L that uses gas for those 300 miles. That's good and solves the getting stranded problem. It still doesn't get rid of the gas so It's a start but I think once the Plug-In Prius comes around there will really be no competition. Especially being what almost 20,000 less.

Last edited by slothman86; 12-28-2009 at 12:05 PM.
slothman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #24
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
the biggest problem of all is where the electricity comes from, and how much it costs. If it ends up costing more anyways, and polluting more to boot, what exactly is the point?
Old 01-04-2010, 11:30 PM   #25
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
How can a car that costs 3 times as much as a Yaris decimate it? The Volt will have zero effect on Yaris sales.

There also seems to be this idea that the Volt has a limited range. It is only limited in the same way any other car is - when it runs out of gas. Keep gas in the Volt, and its gas powered generator will keep it going as far as you need.

Cross country trip? No problem.

Last edited by Kal-El; 01-05-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:25 AM   #26
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
the biggest problem of all is where the electricity comes from, and how much it costs. If it ends up costing more anyways, and polluting more to boot, what exactly is the point?
It has been shown time and again that even if the electricity comes from the dirtiest source - coal - that it is still 70% cleaner at the wheel than burning gasoline.

As for cost, I assume you are referring to the electricity and not the vehicle itself. I live in one of the most expensive areas of the world for electricity (as I write this we are paying $0.124/kWh) and my cost per mile with an EV is roughly 25% what gasoline costs me.

If you are referring to the cost of the vehicle remember that you are not comparing apples to apples. Many of the costs of the ownership of a gasoline burning car are absent with EVs such as oil changes, air filters, tune ups, clutch/transmission fluids and wear, etc.

Share the Road

Old 01-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #27
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
It has been shown time and again that even if the electricity comes from the dirtiest source - coal - that it is still 70% cleaner at the wheel than burning gasoline.

As for cost, I assume you are referring to the electricity and not the vehicle itself. I live in one of the most expensive areas of the world for electricity (as I write this we are paying $0.124/kWh) and my cost per mile with an EV is roughly 25% what gasoline costs me.

If you are referring to the cost of the vehicle remember that you are not comparing apples to apples. Many of the costs of the ownership of a gasoline burning car are absent with EVs such as oil changes, air filters, tune ups, clutch/transmission fluids and wear, etc.
except you have the 1.4 L engine in there as well... won't this require maint?
Old 01-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #28
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Is the Volt perfect? Far from it. But it is indeed a step in the right direction, if only a baby step.
x2
Old 01-05-2010, 10:09 AM   #29
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Quote:
except you have the 1.4 L engine in there as well... won't this require maint?
Yes, it will, because the Volt is a hybrid - not an EV. The poster that I quoted gave me the impression that he was speaking about EVs in general rather than just the Volt, and that's what I was speaking to.

Share the Road

Old 01-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #30
Sidicas

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
IMO, electric cars are definately a major part of the future.

However, they need further developement to to became mainstream and not be just a esoteric form of transportation

1) The price needs to come down to the level of comparative gas cars.
3) The avalibility of charging staions/outlets outside the home are needed.

IMO, the needs of an electric car to become mainsteam are akin to those that gas powered cars faced in displacing the hores and buggy, namely cost, support and pacticality.
100 years ago, your great ancestors posted..

IMO, gas cars are definitely a major part of the future.

However, they need further development to to became mainstream and not be just a esoteric form of transportation

1) The price needs to come down to the level of steam engines.
3) The availability of gasoline stations/outlets outside the home are needed. You can always use Coal, wood or anything that burns to power a steam engine, but we need places to be able to get gasoline.

IMO, the needs of a gas car to become mainstream are akin to those that steam powered engines faced in displacing the horse and buggy, namely cost, support and practicality.

Quote:
Yes, it will, because the Volt is a hybrid - not an EV. The poster that I quoted gave me the impression that he was speaking about EVs in general rather than just the Volt, and that's what I was speaking to.
I wouldn't call the Volt a hybrid.. Hybrid cars have both gas and electric engines to power the car.. The volt is 100% electric with a gasoline charger / range extender.. Technically not a hybrid engine design since only one engine turns the wheels.. You could always yank the gas engine out of a Chevy Volt and the car will work 100% until it runs out of energy..
You can't yank the gasoline engine out of a prius and have it still be a usable car, it wouldn't get above 45MPH..

The MAJOR show-stopper that I see with the Chevy Volt, especially up here in NY and colder climates is that the electric motors are so energy efficient that they don't generate any heat.. Yup, 30 below and no heat! Of course, I'd imagine that the car's heating comes from the range extender gas engine but having to run that 24/7 kinda defeats the point of putting down 30 grand for an electric car like the Volt.

If I lived down south, then I would definitely get the volt as my next car.

Last edited by Sidicas; 01-05-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Sidicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:11 PM   #31
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidicas View Post
I wouldn't call the Volt a hybrid.. Hybrid cars have both gas and electric engines to power the car.. The volt is 100% electric with a gasoline charger / range extender.. Technically not a hybrid engine design since only one engine turns the wheels.. You could always yank the gas engine out of a Chevy Volt and the car will work 100% until it runs out of energy..
You can't yank the gasoline engine out of a prius and have it still be a usable car, it wouldn't get above 45MPH..

The MAJOR show-stopper that I see with the Chevy Volt, especially up here in NY and colder climates is that the electric motors are so energy efficient that they don't generate any heat.. Yup, 30 below and no heat! Of course, I'd imagine that the car's heating comes from the range extender gas engine but having to run that 24/7 kinda defeats the point of putting down 30 grand for an electric car like the Volt.
The Volt does not have a hybrid drive train but it does indeed have a hybrid power system. Also, 1.4L is complete and total overkill just for charging some batteries, and its presence in the car puts it in the same mechanical class as the other hybrids on the road, some of which employ even smaller engines for their drive train (the first generation Honda Insight uses a 1.0L 3 cylinder).

When it comes to heating EVs employ a ceramic-based resistance heater, much like a space heater. This means the heat in the Volt will likely come from the batteries rather than the engine, but it will end up running the engine sooner in order to replenish the batteries.

Share the Road