Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #19
monchito18

Drives: Yaris sedan
Send a message via MSN to monchito18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
Oh no, I wasn't saying it would break down. It will run fine, it's just that the cooler the air is entering your intake the better the car will perform.
I know what I mean is that temperatures here are 90+ degrees Fahrenheit all year long, now in summer get up to 100 and even more and I drive it like that hahaha
Old 05-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #20
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by monchito18 View Post
How does it sound?
It sounded great at WOT. I have the K&N Typhoon now.

As far as heat soak, any short-ram-style intake is going to likely suck in warm air. They're probably more of a noise maker than anything.

Most stock intakes are designed so well these days that it's unlikely any gains of more than 1-2 hp could be made if that unless you're already making serious power (e.g. Garm's old Yaris).
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:35 PM   #21
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
While I agree that opening up the intake does add some fun noises, nothing compares with that of a Blitz near redline through an aluminum intake tube. *Bweeeeee!* =)
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:35 PM   #22
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
I'm going to try uploading a video from the phone for an example.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #23
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
It sounded great at WOT. I have the K&N Typhoon now.

As far as heat soak, any short-ram-style intake is going to likely suck in warm air. They're probably more of a noise maker than anything.

Most stock intakes are designed so well these days that it's unlikely any gains of more than 1-2 hp could be made if that unless you're already making serious power (e.g. Garm's old Yaris).
On a 1.5L engine you don't get more then maybe .5 h.p., better throttle response and noise. Whether a short-ram or a long cold air intake theirs no power gain really. Been a lot of studies and research on that and like you mention, their so well designed now. On bigger engines 5.0L and bigger theirs an increase.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:38 PM   #24
trunkout
4 years of P90X!

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
DONE! sounds better and seems to "lean burn" better too! Now I can't decide if my engine or exhaust is louder!

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg intake.jpeg (88.0 KB, 320 views)
trunkout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:11 PM   #25
adf_604

Drives: 2003 Echo Sedan, Silver
Thumbs up wish i'd seen this sooner

Sorry to revive an old thread but saw this mod recently and used it on my car just today. Worked great and also removed the so-called "elephant trunk" intake pipe, sounds pretty good!

thx to OP.
adf_604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #26
robbadobba82

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatch
Forgive me guys but all of this sounds amazing and I will do it tonight. Could someone post pick of the "elephant" tube and what the engine bay looks like without it?
robbadobba82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:39 PM   #27
robbadobba82

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatch
Figured it out! Sounds great!
robbadobba82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #28
driverofchuckles

Drives: 2008 Yaris. Manual everything
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
Here's basically what I did...goes all the way around the lower portion of the intake box

Getting ready to drill this exact moment!
driverofchuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:35 AM   #29
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Did mine too and I did remove the neg from the battery for over a minute to reset the ECU, and since then I've noticed the car would reach higher RPM on strong acceleration before shifting gear (automatic transmission) that it did before. Looking at my fuel gauge (I filled up right after doing the mod), it seems I'm getting very poor mileage so far, but it could be due to many other factors, like the gas station auto-stop fuelling setting, the colder weather that just started (thus using the PTC heater more and blower fan more), etc. Perhaps the ECU needs more time to recalibrate with the air/fuel flow during fast acceleration. I would reach 4 000rpm easily from a dead stop before first first while before it wouldn't go beyond 3 500 rpm. Good/bad ?
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:07 PM   #30
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
Did mine too and I did remove the neg from the battery for over a minute to reset the ECU, and since then I've noticed the car would reach higher RPM on strong acceleration before shifting gear (automatic transmission) that it did before. Looking at my fuel gauge (I filled up right after doing the mod), it seems I'm getting very poor mileage so far, but it could be due to many other factors, like the gas station auto-stop fuelling setting, the colder weather that just started (thus using the PTC heater more and blower fan more), etc. Perhaps the ECU needs more time to recalibrate with the air/fuel flow during fast acceleration. I would reach 4 000rpm easily from a dead stop before first first while before it wouldn't go beyond 3 500 rpm. Good/bad ?
I believe the fuel ratio is maintained by the ecu so if you are feeding more air, your fuel consumption will also suffer.

Sent from my G9208SS using Tapatalk
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:01 PM   #31
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
fwiw I have a short ram (modified my TRD CAI) and to aid in the heat soak I used 3" plastic heater ducting and cut a hole in my fog light cowling and ran the ducting up into the engine bay where it ends right at the air filter. The ducting it zip tied in 2 spot on the cowling and one spot in the engine bay

This won't do much when stopped but once moving air is forced into the ducting and flows out over the filter and essentially gets rid of heat soak.

I don't have any dyno's to compare but it cost me $5 and about 15 mins to do. Also doesn't look too bad either.