Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-14-2016, 05:59 AM   #1
rabbito

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris Sedan (Vios)
HKS SRI Intake Kit

i had Simota SRI which had heat shield looking thing...sound like a boat when im on full throttle and gain was alright..i also lost slight low torque and the sound was horriffic...sounds like a boat crusing by..so i changed them back to K&N drop in...

im giving chance to HKS mushroom intake which also has inner velocity stack(when you take out the filter, you will see it)..i also like the fact that filter is facing towards opposite of the engine..

im going to give HKS a chance..just got it delivered so we will see what happens..🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

the intake pipings custom made from the local shop..

btw im in asia, we use brand like HKS, Blitz more often here...

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk
Electric: Volt Stablizer & Multi gauge obd2
Cosmetic: Toyota red emblem

Last edited by rabbito; 09-15-2016 at 06:52 AM.
rabbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:19 AM   #2
KenTK808

Drives: 2014 Yaris LE
HKS makes some balling stuff. The couplers and the tube look high quality, but the HKS filters have a really really bad rep. I've had terrible experiences with them, I would switch it out for a higher quality cone filter if space permits.
KenTK808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:53 AM   #3
rabbito

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTK808 View Post
HKS makes some balling stuff. The couplers and the tube look high quality, but the HKS filters have a really really bad rep. I've had terrible experiences with them, I would switch it out for a higher quality cone filter if space permits.
i remember that hype(im from cali actually and remember that hks hype about filter sucked in or being dirty)...it was while ago(decade)..
they actually improved a lot after that incident where they lost shit load of money..theyre quality start getting better...in asia, majority of the shops use HKS...

the piping is not from HKS, its custom made...right now i got engine light turnt on...FML!!!! 😭😭😭😭😭😭
i got to check again in the morning...i will update....smh

Old 09-14-2016, 12:28 PM   #4
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
i would go Apexi or Blitz for a good quality SRI. Apexi i believe has one of the best filtering cones.

I love my blitz SUS power core.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:54 PM   #5
rabbito

update: just finish reinstalling them...took off the battery and put them back on..start the engine for about 5 min..ecu automatically correct itself..its running 700-800rpm now...i dont know why but current intake and simota intake i had before have sluggish throttle response..(maybe due to sound)..?
i can notice the hp and tq gain but not a huge gain...maybe 4-5hp...i will test them on the highway tomorrow...

Old 09-14-2016, 06:24 PM   #6
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbito View Post
update: just finish reinstalling them...took off the battery and put them back on..start the engine for about 5 min..ecu automatically correct itself..its running 700-800rpm now...i dont know why but current intake and simota intake i had before have sluggish throttle response..(maybe due to sound)..?
i can notice the hp and tq gain but not a huge gain...maybe 4-5hp...i will test them on the highway tomorrow...

All in your head, you will be lucky to gain any gains but just cool sound.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:49 AM   #7
rabbito

Update: last night i test drove them and it was pretty good, great mid to high range...😎😎😎😎😎😎
morning i started the car and drove to coffee shop...i didnt notice any power gain, sound loud and heard some hissing noise..i just found out that stock vacum hose clamp was lose....fml...stock clamp cannot hold on to the hose during full throttle...because intake part is a fxxxing metal and it slips out...went to a shop and purchased myself couple intake clamps and zip ties...😣😣😣😣😣😣😣

Last edited by rabbito; 09-15-2016 at 03:45 AM.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:33 AM   #8
rabbito

Update: finally comepleted...i bought the clamp and put them on tight(vacum hose..fml)...unplug the battery cable and put them back on...waited about 5 minutes for ecu to adjust rpms, running 700-800rpm...

Old 09-15-2016, 06:57 AM   #9
rabbito

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviri View Post
i would go Apexi or Blitz for a good quality SRI. Apexi i believe has one of the best filtering cones.

I love my blitz SUS power core.
shop gave me 3 choices; hks, apexi or k&n....honestly....hks stands out in asia, theyre like the top brand out here..watch those jap GT Channels doing touge..lol

i used blitz sus power before on my rx7, lovely, easy to clean and easy to put them back on..

Old 09-15-2016, 06:58 AM   #10
rabbito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
All in your head, you will be lucky to gain any gains but just cool sound.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
if its only a sound, whats the point of purchasing them?

Old 09-15-2016, 07:16 AM   #11
alias06

Drives: 2008 Red Toyota Yaris
Quote:
if its only a sound, whats the point of purchasing them?

Sound....louder "seems" to mean faster to a certain niche of people

It possibly could increase power somewhere on the powerband but doesn't necessarily mean that it will be usable or really beneficial.

Even in the GTR there isn't an OEM open filter setup...(http://www.driving.co.uk/s3/st-drivi...smo-engine.jpg)
alias06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:55 AM   #12
rabbito

Quote:
Originally Posted by alias06 View Post
Sound....louder "seems" to mean faster to a certain niche of people

It possibly could increase power somewhere on the powerband but doesn't necessarily mean that it will be usable or really beneficial.

Even in the GTR there isn't an OEM open filter setup...(http://www.driving.co.uk/s3/st-drivi...smo-engine.jpg)
right now i have a full exhaust set up with polished TB with spacer...i think the intake is doing the job 😎
i dont know about just having intake though.. 🤔🤔

Old 09-15-2016, 10:57 AM   #13
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
right now i have a full exhaust set up with polished TB with spacer...i think the intake is doing the job 😎
i dont know about just having intake though.. 🤔🤔

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but my understanding (which makes sense to me) is that if you don't do the entire system the way you did - intake, manifold, cat, piping, muffler, etc. - then there really are no gains to be had. There's going to be a bottleneck somewhere.

I've been thinking about an intake for a long time, but I think I'm going to wait until I can do the entire system in one shot. I could be totally wrong, but it seems logical.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:29 AM   #14
rabbito

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but my understanding (which makes sense to me) is that if you don't do the entire system the way you did - intake, manifold, cat, piping, muffler, etc. - then there really are no gains to be had. There's going to be a bottleneck somewhere.

I've been thinking about an intake for a long time, but I think I'm going to wait until I can do the entire system in one shot. I could be totally wrong, but it seems logical.
right now the intake sound is confusing me...i dont like it at all...i dont like vroom sound coming from engine bay...lol...😣😣😣😣
i see the gauge and its doing its job......
im seeing an issue though...a lot of air in and out..i need ecu with fuel control...i only have timing advance ecu...i bet pumping a little more fuel will solve this issue..

Old 09-15-2016, 04:41 PM   #15
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Do you have your own shop, or have a family member with a shop where you do all this work? You've mentioned doing your build on a budget, but I've seen you go through parts like people go through underwear lol. You've talked about piston work and I'm no mechanic, but messing with internals can't be cheap, eh?
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:50 PM   #16
rabbito

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Do you have your own shop, or have a family member with a shop where you do all this work? You've mentioned doing your build on a budget, but I've seen you go through parts like people go through underwear lol. You've talked about piston work and I'm no mechanic, but messing with internals can't be cheap, eh?
more shops in asia...parts flies in from japan like crazy...labors cheaper(usually charge you with the parts)..cars expensive due to tax(my yaris was $22,000, suppose to have cheapest tax in the country due to engine being 1.5) but parts are affordable...in southeast asia, everybody comes to thailand to get the parts..
i buy 2nd hand parts shipped from japan or buy local brands because custom made are slightly cheaper..

Old 09-16-2016, 12:18 AM   #17
alias06

Drives: 2008 Red Toyota Yaris
As I said in my previous post, you won't be making much power with an intake. It is more of a noise thing than anything else. I understand that you have mods to your car, but I find it hard to believe that you are actually pushing more air in/out of your engine. What you are most likely doing with your current intake/exhaust mods are freeing up air flow by reducing back pressure in your exhaust system and maybe reducing any "bottlenecks" in the intake but even that doesn't mean much.

The most air that you can suck into the engine N/A is just what the engine is willing to take in the amount of time it can when the valves are open. Mathematically the theoretical amount of efficiency you can get is 100% which could theoretically be obtained by a stroker kit and free flowing intake/exhaust tuned to a desired RPM.

Realistically without F/I you will never break the 100% volumetric efficiency or even come close.
alias06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:14 AM   #18
rabbito

Update: took it off and put it on sale board...back to K&N...just oiled them and wait for to dry....lol 😂😂😂😂