Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-25-2019, 07:54 PM   #1
Loki452

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris blueberry
09 Yaris Rear Water (rain) Leak

Hey guys,

I've been trying to search for some answers for the leak I'm trying to locate on my 2009 3 Door Yaris. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Water is leaking from behind the interior plastic towards the rear of the car, when it rains. It doesn't appear to be leaking from the taillights. I can see some of the water dripping down through the access panels for the taillights, so the water is starting up higher.

It's actually leaking the same exact way on both sides of the car. Water can be felt on the body of the car, above the visible holes for the taillights, and drips through the access panels if they're open. This leak actually put about an inch or two of water in my spare tire well before I noticed the issue.

There's no rust on the roof and I can't find any damage on any visible gaskets.
Loki452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:58 PM   #2
Loki452

I'm trying to attach a photo to help describe where the water is coming from. I drew a black line to indicate part of the metal body and the blue is obviously the water.

So there is a curved piece of metal right above the opening to the tail light and there is water running down it that drips through the opening.
Attached Images
File Type: png Yaris Leak.PNG (296.1 KB, 243 views)
Old 02-26-2019, 09:43 AM   #3
2bz

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3DR Hatch MT
Remove your tail light assemblies and try the following, in order:

-Clean any debris (I found mouse nests inside, on both sides) that accumulates between the light assembly and the inside of the body recess. Water runs off the roof and behind the tail lights normally. If these gutters get blocked, the water will look for a place to enter the car. Essentially, where you have marked.

-Inspect/replace the tail light assembly gaskets.

-If all else fails, reroute the water coming off the roof by sealing the gutters on the outside of the tail light assemblies with silicone.

These cars leak. Good luck!
2bz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:12 PM   #4
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
I also have this problem. And it is not the tail lights.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:33 PM   #5
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
My major leaking was at both tail lights, and there was no way to tell that by inspection until they were removed.

Solved by removing (permanently) the roof strips, cleaning the whole area around the hatch-perimeter weather strip, and removing, cleaning and reinstalling everything to do with the light gaskets. All cleaning was done w/ just a wet washcloth. I may have lightly greased the body side of the original gaskets, which were starting to show light stress cracking at the edge of the compressed areas.

Tighten the two light housing nuts on each side (Toyota should have used 3) in stages over a few days.

Read thread on brake/tail light bulb replacement. Don't break the light housings removing them.

I still get just a trace of water after some rains on the horizontal corner surfaces above the spare well, and when I lift the hatch after a rain some water drips down from inside (?) the left side of the window frame.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:46 PM   #6
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
I recently started seeing this on my car. I thought it was the tail light gaskets being perished but i have the exact same leak as you so j really wonder where its coming from.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2019, 09:55 PM   #7
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
I've been through this:

Pull the black rubber pieces out of the roof channels. If you look closely you may see cracks in the seam sealer near the rear of the channel. If so, these will suck in a surprising amount of water, and run down the inside of the C-pillars. Also, check your hatch gasket. Any water that gets under it will show up near the tail lamps.

You can scrape out the seam sealer and apply new stuff. Worked for me.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:26 AM   #8
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
I've been through this:

Pull the black rubber pieces out of the roof channels. If you look closely you may see cracks in the seam sealer near the rear of the channel. If so, these will suck in a surprising amount of water, and run down the inside of the C-pillars. Also, check your hatch gasket. Any water that gets under it will show up near the tail lamps.

You can scrape out the seam sealer and apply new stuff. Worked for me.
I have the whole rear plastic out of my car already. It's entering from above the tail lights. Tail lights were already removed and gaskets replaced. Gonna inspect those roof channels. Hope this solves it.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:59 AM   #9
dogsridewith

Yaris roof seams exposed

Note also the overlapped spot-welded sheet metal seams just below the rear ends of the roof channels.

My ex-SoCal sunburned-roof seams were like new, but now will get sun exposure. Both ends of the rubber strips plug up w/ tiny debris, then the whole channels become mud, crud, bug, leaf, salt and ice traps.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:38 AM   #10
Loki452

Thanks for all the replies guys. I already removed the drip molding from the top of the vehicle and underneath looks really good. I'll look into removing and cleaning the tail lights this weekend along with trying to reseal the gasket on the back. The rear hatch gasket seems loosely fitted at the moment.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:21 AM   #11
dogsridewith

Hatch gasket.

Mine seemed tight and fresh when I worked on the leaks, but I'd think a loose hatch gasket could let water get in. Even one that seems tight could wick in some...and there the problem would be finding that would require loosening the gasket more.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:01 AM   #12
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

My leak is a lot more than a few drops or a wicking action. When giving a car wash you can visually see the water streaming/rapidly driping in. Not uncommon to find half an inch of water in the spare tire well after a wash. And that's just what makes it to the well. There's lots of water dripping into the trunk on the frame rails next to the well, and traveling forward causing my back carpet to be soaked all the time. I'm back home for the week so I'll inspect the roof rails soon

Old 03-02-2019, 01:40 PM   #13
dogsridewith

At least check the two nuts on each side that compress the taillight gasket...the foam relaxes.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:52 PM   #14
bairjo

I don't think your roof seals are the problem. My drivers side roof seal always comes off in the car wash. I never think about checking into fixing that annoying issue when i'm at home, but at the same time i have never had a leak. I probably should have not stated that....i feel a leak in my future now...and not at the urinal.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:35 PM   #15
dogsridewith

There's nothing but paint in my roof gutters...no visble seams or overlaps. Just factory paint over putty or whatever. No place for water ingress.