Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-19-2019, 07:27 PM   #19
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Thanks for the replies everyone.. got busy over the March Break week being off with the kids, friends visiting, etc..

I did change the oil a week or so ago on the weekend. Absolutely nothing of note in the oil that came out. Has a few thousand kilometers on it, so it was a bit darkened, but otherwise looked fine - no pink/whatever goop/sludge/etc.. no weird film or discolouration.. no dirt/particulate/chips/chunks/etc.. either. I'll get the sample sent off just to confirm, but at a macroscopic level the oil doesn't give me reason to worry.

Also, I have a particularly terrible memory for "be gentle until you know what the problem is". A number of times in the past couple of weeks I've caught myself honking on it on the drive to/from work - usually coming home, because leaving work is so much more enjoyable than going to work.. lol If it's a bad rod rattling around in there I don't imagine it's going to handle 5000 rpm too many more times before it explodes and makes a peephole in the block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
If you are getting coolant in your oil, not good. But I'm gonna have to go with "too new and no real reports of those problems" idea.
No, I agree, but fortunately the pink'ish (or not pink at all, depending who's checking..) goop on the dipstick seems to be explained by Trevor. Now that I've changed the oil and see nothing to note, I'm suspecting it's not a coolant leak. And ya, I haven't read much in the way of trouble, especially at low mileage, with the ZR family of engines. That's part of why I thought I'd field the question to see if anyone had come across something else that would be causing a similar noise. That's not to say that my daily 'not-so-gentle' driving isn't causing a problem of some sort..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob225 View Post
As Tavarish says "I am the warranty" lol
edit. Send a oil sample off to be analysed
Bahahahahaa... that's awesome! And yes, sample collected and ready to go in the post.

Again, appreciate the discussion thanks everyone. Have a few things to poke at as soon as I get a chance, so either it's going to implode in the meantime, it's something else - which may be fine - or I'll find something when I get under the car next.

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote