Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
dragoneyes

Drives: Yaris 2007 Hatchback Blue
Is Blu Ray rip better than Blue Ray to DVD Compression?

I noticed a better resolution with BR-Rip than BR Rip to DVD compression.

Just wanted to ask other member about their opinion.

Correct me if I am wrong

Thanks,

God Bless You!
dragoneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Pa mi que si
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:49 PM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
You will always experience a degradation in picture and audio quality if you attempt to put a BD movie to a DVD, especially a DVD5 and not DVD9. The only time this might be an exception is with certain animated flicks. Your best bet if you are going to stay digital is to pick up/create an untouched rip (bitrate being normally around 20-25mb) however you can sacrifice a little quality and go with 1080p with a bitrate of at least 13-15mb and save some storage space. Your biggest storage space qualifier will be the audio. If you go with DTS 5.1 most encodes will be at 1.5mb however a true-hd or DTS-MA will net a huge difference and will chew up 10-15gb alone. I stay away from RC encodes and never ever view/keep anything with an mp3 audio track. Lastly, the older movies generally from the 80s and prior will have 2 channel audio which nets a lot of storage savings since they weren't generally filmed for surround sound. MKV really at this point is the best container to use as most media streamers and software supports it at this point. Hope that I didn't thread jack you on this?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:55 PM   #4
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
as soon as you see the word compression , it is not original anymore. I might be barely noticeable but it is there. and on a full HD screen you will notice it
That is actually debatable depending on the source material. I have owned BD discs which the transfer, even on newer content, was horrible and grainy. I have also watched that content as a 1080p MKV with mild compression and you couldn't really notice. I have a 65" 1080p LED DLP Samsung set. One could argue that it all depends on your set which is correct, but my set for example was one of the highest rated when it hit the shelves which was evident by the 3k price tag. I got lucky and didn't pay that much nor would I unless I really didn't have anything else to spend money on for a while, but it is what it is. So in retrospect it very much hinges on the source material for the BD content in the first place.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote