Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Smile tooter's manifold adventure...

The Corolla manifold came in yesterday...

At under 6.5 pounds, it's very lightweight for it's size. The runners are massive compared to the stock manifold. They're also extremely long which should enhance low end torque. It does have a small plenum with an intake tube behind the throttle body which extends far into it and directly in line with the runners...

The port for the throttlebody is slightly larger than 50mm which should easily accept the stock Yaris TB.

The manifold runners come really close to matching the intake ports of the engine...

Got that neato intake manifold temprature isolating gasket from Jeff. (thanks, man!) With it's accurate profile of intake and bolt hole layout, it will be really simple to have a thick aluminium plate made to match it.

This is going to look so freaking cool on the engine.

Last edited by tooter; 06-07-2012 at 04:03 PM.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Subscribed!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
tooter
play every day

Deflanged the manifold with a Sawzall...

The two inner runners are fine. The inside edge of each outside runner doesn't match its respective intake port...

The misalignment only amounts to 5mm at its greatest point, so I don't believe that will be a problem. I'm thinking of a really thick flange so I can file it to create a smooth flowing transition between the head and the intake runners. The one I cut off was 18mm thick and had plenty of slack in it to compensate, so I'll likely go with one at least that thick.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I was thinking of using a torch to heat and bend it a bit. Either that or removing the runners from the plenum entirely and making a new plenum from scratch.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
tooter
play every day

Nice ideas, Cranky...
...but I'm going to try to keep this project as simple as possible since it's a first attempt of a novice. The runners are pretty thin aluminium and would likely deform under heat and the pressure of trying to bend them. They're already so nicely mandrel bent by the factory, it would be a shame to risk ruining them. And I'll likely retain the original plenum as it's volume and configuration has already been flow engineered by Toyota to work harmoniously with the runners.

However, if you want to have a go at one, here's plenty of them around to experiment on with a minimal financial committment.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

The only way to know if this makes any power will be to dyno the car with and without the modification. Are you planning on doing that?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
we have a early 90's Corrola in Auto shop that has the same intake on it, when i saw it i thought about you getting this one.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Nice ideas, Cranky...However, if you want to have a go at one, here's plenty of them around to experiment on with a minimal financial committment.
Yup, got one in the shed somewhere...
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
The only way to know if this makes any power will be to dyno the car with and without the modification. Are you planning on doing that?
Hey Garm,

Sorry, no plans for any red line balls to the walls dyno runs. The engine has only 600 miles on it and still breaking in. However, I am keeping meticulous gas mileage records to see if it will have any effect on economy.

I'm mainly doing this just because I think it will look really cool like your exhaust.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #10
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Yup, got one in the shed somewhere...
It's there just waiting for you to see what you can do with it.
And I'll keep you posted step by step as to how this goes.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddeenoh View Post
we have a early 90's Corrola in Auto shop that has the same intake on it, when i saw it i thought about you getting this one.
There's zillions of them around... some of the best practical reliable cars Toyota ever built. I would have never even thought of this if I didn't see that the guys from Puerto Rico had already done it.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #12
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Tag

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #13
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I'm mainly doing this just because I think it will look really cool like your exhaust.
ha! At least you are clear about it. It's going to make more power, or less. That just about covers it.

Can we borrow it and dyno a test car when you're done?
Old 06-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #14
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
ha! At least you are clear about it. It's going to make more power, or less. That just about covers it.
If it works and looks cool, I'm happy.

Quote:
Can we borrow it and dyno a test car when you're done?
No problem, Garm.
I'm building two of them...

I think this design of long runners in direct alignment with the throttlebody is a really good one, or Toyota wouldn't have used it. The extremely long runners on my truck are also oriented in a similar manner and and it works swell.

Last edited by tooter; 06-08-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #15
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Depending on the gain this will have, if proven alot, I may look into going F Street Prepared, lol

Looks awesome. hope this works out.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #16
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
gently bang the outer runners with a rubber mallet? (and put something tight inside the runner so it does not actually deform)

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #17
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
gently bang the outer runners with a rubber mallet? (and put something tight inside the runner so it does not actually deform)
I was thinking that a pipe clamp could be used to gently draw the two outer runners in.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #18
tooter
play every day

Excellent ideas worth considering, guys!

On the flaring idea. maybe just right at the end so that it would be covered up by the weld and wouldn't even show. Pulling the outer runners together might also work if I used two parallel pipes the exact diameter as the inside edge of the runners. 5mm on each isn't much. I might try putting just a little pressure on them to see exactly how much resistance there is. And maybe a combination of both... of just a bit of pulling and a touch of flaring.

It's really great that the slight misalignment issue the only thing close to an obstacle. The engine flange and adaptor plate for the throttle body are pretty academic. A thick throttle body plate will have 3 counter sunk recesses to accept short hex bolts which will attach it to the manifold, and then have 4 threaded holes for the stock throttle body studs. I should be getting the stock manifold soon which will be used for the pattern to keep everything oriented as close to their stock positions as possible.