Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
fxny12004

Drives: Nautical Blue Yaris S Sedan
Speaker Installation

Hello Folks, I tried searching for an answer around the forum with no success, so here it goes...

I want to upgrade the speakers in my 07 Sedan, and it has come to my attention that most 6.5 speakers wont fit in the front due to the front depth of most speakers. A crutchfield rep told me that there is only 0.316" between the door panel grill, and the actual speaker. My question is how did many of you install front speakers? Is there a way to actually make speakers fit?
These are the ones im interested in purchasing btw:

Pioneer TS-A1673R (Front)
Pioneer TS-A6993R (Rear)
(Are these any good? Suggestions are welcome, Amp TBD)

My other question deals with spacers. The rep told me that for the front and rear speaker i would have to fabricate spacers. Theres no DYI on how to make one for sedans, and the one for hb is a little vague for me. can anyone elaborate on how exactly they are made (materials, tools needed, instructions, etc)?

i realize i am a total car noob, but i really think i can do this due to the fact that i repair and maintain computer/ av components (IT tech) at a large university. I think all i need is some exposure and enlightment. I have to try sometime....

I bow down to you guys' ultimate wisdom and await a response

Much Appreciated!!!
fxny12004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
I may be out of line with professional practices here, but I just put some layers of rubber mat to build some space around the front, then mounted standard adapter with screws wedged into the sides of the metal hole.

I think there must be way more than 0.3" room on the front side of the speaker. My stuff protrudes at least 1", and looking in through the grill I see lots of space.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
I'm in the hunt for front and rear speakers too. I was also looking at Crutchfield. From what I can gather, the rear speakers (after removal) need to have several rivets drilled out and the speaker removed from the "frame". In turn, the "frame" acts as a spacer for a new speaker.

Here's a direct quote from Crutchfield:

Installation Details for your 2008 Yaris

» To install this product, you’ll have to modify your vehicle.
» Use the factory speaker grilles.
» Fabricate a speaker mounting bracket or spacer.

I'm considering the Infinity Kappa 692.9i or the Alpine SPR-69C. Something in that $150 to $160 range. I'm keeping the stock head unit and right now half my car is torn apart while I sound deaden it. I'm not going to go with components, I just want to basically plug-and-play both the fronts and rears. Not sure yet about the fronts.

There's my .01. Devalued due to the economy.
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
swidd

Oh, may I recommend.... Get anything with crossovers and tweeters. More to install, but sounds souch better.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
swidd

I bought speakers from sonicelectronix.com. About half the price of crutchfield, brand new in box, no regrets and I still feel no guilt for not paying msrp.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #6
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
I bought speakers from sonicelectronix.com. About half the price of crutchfield, brand new in box, no regrets and I still feel no guilt for not paying msrp.
Thanks Swidd!

For grins and giggles, I checked out SonicElectronix and did a comparision on Alpine SPR-69c's.

Crutchfield: $159.99 (part of their "Signature" line, so free shipping)
SonicElectronix: $99.99 (free ground shipping)

Holy Moses! That's a pretty substantial savings! What the heck am I missing??? I know where I'm getting the rear speakers from! Now I need to decide on the fronts and whether to go components or not. I'm not to keen on boring a hole in my door panels for the tweeters, but maybe it's not that big of a deal.
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
swidd

Tweeters are easy. I put them in the pillars by the wind shield, and it was extremely easy. Just take off the weather strip in the door, and push the panel off. I used a knife, heated on the stove to melt a hole in the center of the plastic, then ran the wire down the side of the dash and under the door sills.

As for why sonic is cheaper, you'll probably not get warranty from the manufacturer, but sonic promises to warranty the speakers as a middle-man. You may not have much luck in that. However, take your savings and buy your own warranty if you're afraid the speaker will blow... they're just speakers... The Alpine SPX-17REF and SPR-17C I bought from sonic was, as I said, brand new in the box, perfect condition (except a sticker was placed on the wrong tweeter/woofer terminal).

The SPR-17C can handle substantially less volume before distorting, compared to the SPX-17REF. At reasonable volumes they both sound good, but the SPX-17REF is incredible. The tweeters are so clear, it is like mommy is talking to me :)
Old 04-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
swidd

I use crutchfield.com for research, and sonicelectronix.com for buying :)
Old 04-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
vhicke

Drives: yaris
I put 6.5' jbl's in the doors of my 08 sedan and i just did the cheap way i ripped the inside of the speaker and i used the screws that were included with the speakers and screwed to the speaker bracket.....They sound perfect....Just have to know the speaker depth before you buy but 6.5 will fit.
vhicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:18 PM   #10
Herbicidal

Quote:
I use crutchfield.com for research, and sonicelectronix.com for buying :)
I hear that! No pun intended! So, according to Crutchfield, the Alpine SPX-17REF's are 6 3/4" and would not fit my car. I would prefer to keep the door panels as stock as possible, any other suggestions? Even at Sonics price of $209.99, that's still more than I want to spend.

Also, according to Sonic, my front speakers are 6 1/2" is that right? I haven't taken off my door panels yet to measure for myself.

Thanks for the tweeter info, I'll look more into doing that.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:21 PM   #11
swidd

They will fit in the opening just fine, its just a matter of the spacer/mounter adapter you buy/make.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #12
blh4645

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
I just installed some JL Audio C5-525 5-1/4" 2-way Component speakers in the front doors of my 08 sedan and some JL Audio C2-690tx 6 x 9" 3-way Speakers in the rear. I bought them from cruthfield and for the front doors I used the spacers that came free with the order. I did have to drill out the three rivets that were holding the factory speakers in. But after doing that the spacers just bolted right in and the speakers secured fine. I drilled a hole just below the door handle for the tweeters and mounted the crossovers on top of the foam block under the arm rest. Front door speakers were easy. The rear 6X9's were a different story. They are not riveted in but they don't make a spacer for them. I removed the crappy factory speakers and used a dremel to cut the center of them out until the new ones fit inside. Then i bolted the new speakers to what was left of the old ones and bolted everything back in with original bolts. The first one took the longest because it was just trial and error. The second one i knew exactly where to cut so it went pretty smooth. Haven't had any problems.
blh4645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #13
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I have Eclipse 6.5's up front and had no issue installing nor issues with window clearance or grill clearance issues, plus they sound clean as hell off my PDX amp.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #14
fxny12004

Drives: Nautical Blue Yaris S Sedan
Good to hear that no one is having issues with installing speakers. Thanks for the help gents!!
fxny12004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:03 PM   #15
Herbicidal

Well since my car is 1/2 way torn apart due to my sound deadening project, I pulled the trigger today and ordered these from SonicElectronic:

Kicker KS60.2: 1 pair @ $109.99 (fronts)
Alpine SPR-69C: 1 pair @ $99.99 (rears)

Once these come in then I can finish off the rear of my project. Then I'll have the fronts when I get to the doors. Thanks for the tip Swidd about SE.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:51 AM   #16
swidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
I have Eclipse 6.5's up front and had no issue installing nor issues with window clearance or grill clearance issues, plus they sound clean as hell off my PDX amp.
do the eclipses get very loud without distorting? My alpine spr-17c can't seem to handle the 75w power from the pdx, though they are rated 100w...
Old 04-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #17
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
do the eclipses get very loud without distorting? My alpine spr-17c can't seem to handle the 75w power from the pdx, though they are rated 100w...
make sure you have a highpass crossover set for 80-100hz. If you still have distortion issues.... make sure your gains are set correctly (do a google search on gain setting).
Old 04-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #18
swidd

Thanks talnk, turning on the hp filter with ~80 hz allowed me to push the volume an additional 3 clicks before distortion. The spx does not distort at all, without any filters, so this will let me to a greater degree match the rear spr to the front spx, for a much louder ride on road trips :)