Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-20-2015, 09:20 AM   #1
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubrication and Injector Cleaner

Hi Yarisworlders,

Have any of you used Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubrication and Injector Cleaner? If so, do you think it's worth it? I'm thinking of using it on my Yaris, since I'm at the 5 year mark of ownership now. But if it's not worth it, then I'll skip it. Just want to help my Yaris along any way I can.

Thanks.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:45 AM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I've used it in the past on my Echo when it had over 300,000km on it. I haven't used it again. It was on sale at the time so I decided to get it.

I probably wouldn't recommend it. It's not needed for the Yaris if you do proper maintenance on it IMO
Old 11-21-2015, 07:34 AM   #3
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
In my 3 Echos and one Yaris i've never had injector problems and presume there are additives in the gasoline that clean upper cylinder and injectors.
IMO the product is unnecessary.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:59 AM   #4
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Injectors do get dirty even if you don't notice it. Fuel economy, engine performance diminishes. Not everyone sees or feels it. In Canada the best clean gasoline with cleaning agents is Petro Canada. However, Lucas products are very good like their injector cleaner, etc...

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:00 AM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I agree with the above gentlemen. Additives made for the aftermarket have one purpose: to make money for the maker. They seldom actually do anything. Theyre snakeoil for your car!
Old 12-03-2015, 10:32 PM   #6
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
I disagree.
I love BG products! the BG guy will come by and do live demonstrations of their products
to show their superior performance/added performance to OEM!
BG MOA every oil change! (oil surface tension increased 6x)
BG 44k every 50,000 miles! (cleans fuel pump, "lifetime" filter, injectors, lines, etc.)
BG coolant clean+BG water wetter every 60,000 (cleans coolant system. lowers surface tension on coolant causing more heat extraction)
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #7
texascolt45

Drives: 2015 yaris
I started using that Lucas cleaner after my wifes Mustang had a dirty injector.never had another problem.even though theres a bunch of refineries around here,they can still pump out crap gas.i try to only by shell now,you can buy that lucas stuff by the gallon at the truck stops.just my thoughts nothing more.
texascolt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:05 AM   #8
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
I disagree.
I love BG products! the BG guy will come by and do live demonstrations of their products
to show their superior performance/added performance to OEM!
BG MOA every oil change! (oil surface tension increased 6x)
BG 44k every 50,000 miles! (cleans fuel pump, "lifetime" filter, injectors, lines, etc.)
BG coolant clean+BG water wetter every 60,000 (cleans coolant system. lowers surface tension on coolant causing more heat extraction)
And BG loves you!

Next time they come around ask them why engines will last for 200,000 miles without their products "help".
Old 12-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #9
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I think certain aftermarket additives have their place. But a water wetter that improves cooling likely is not needed on a DD Yaris. There's YW members who track and autox their Yari's and have never had overheating issues.

I personally do add an oil additive (can't remember the name but it's identical to the Lucas Oil version) to my Echo as the rings are starting to wear and it is burning about a quart of oil every 1000-1500km or so.

It does noticeably slow down the oil loss. That being said it could just be a thick synthetic oil that does nothing but adds viscosity to the oil therefore reducing the blow by causing the burnt oil. I could likely run a thicker oil but I feel better using the 5w30 recommended oil w/ an additive so that there is no issue of too thick oil not going through the oil passages.

In the end the vast majority are likely not needed and are just lining the pockets of the manufacturer. However, I think that there is a time and a place where they can be beneficial.

I used Seafoam (plus my ultragauge) to get my Echo to pass an etest last year. It helped with a clogged cat code that was due to the PCV valve being stuck a couple years ago and causing excessive oil consumption dirtying the cat.

The Seafoam never cleared the code but it allowed for a gap between the time of having all but one ECU ready notification and the last one triggering the CEL. I popped into a place to do the test right as I noticed that and passed (allowed to have one notifier showing not ready but you cannot have a CEL).

In the end if it gives you a piece of mind then go for it, but yes, you're likely wasting some cash in most cases.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:57 PM   #10
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I think certain aftermarket additives have their place. But a water wetter that improves cooling likely is not needed on a DD Yaris. There's YW members who track and autox their Yari's and have never had overheating issues.

I personally do add an oil additive (can't remember the name but it's identical to the Lucas Oil version) to my Echo as the rings are starting to wear and it is burning about a quart of oil every 1000-1500km or so.

It does noticeably slow down the oil loss. That being said it could just be a thick synthetic oil that does nothing but adds viscosity to the oil therefore reducing the blow by causing the burnt oil. I could likely run a thicker oil but I feel better using the 5w30 recommended oil w/ an additive so that there is no issue of too thick oil not going through the oil passages.

In the end the vast majority are likely not needed and are just lining the pockets of the manufacturer. However, I think that there is a time and a place where they can be beneficial.

I used Seafoam (plus my ultragauge) to get my Echo to pass an etest last year. It helped with a clogged cat code that was due to the PCV valve being stuck a couple years ago and causing excessive oil consumption dirtying the cat.

The Seafoam never cleared the code but it allowed for a gap between the time of having all but one ECU ready notification and the last one triggering the CEL. I popped into a place to do the test right as I noticed that and passed (allowed to have one notifier showing not ready but you cannot have a CEL).

In the end if it gives you a piece of mind then go for it, but yes, you're likely wasting some cash in most cases.
Youre right an oil thickening agent like STP does materially help in old engines that leak and burn oil. Also I have seen Stop Leak work on cooling systems although that would only be a temporary repair.

But as for adding something to the oil in a new or near new car...every oil change...no a thousand times no!
Old 12-06-2015, 12:52 AM   #11
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post

But as for adding something to the oil in a new or near new car...every oil change...no a thousand times no!
whatever. physical torque testing does not lie. I performed the tests myself.
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #12
bairjo

[quote=bronsin;773321]. Also I have seen Stop Leak work on cooling systems although that would only be a temporary repair.
quote]

Yea...the radiator that is leaking will need replaced....along with the clogged heater core.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote