Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
Taiyaki
アキバ製

Drives: 09' White LB, Celica GTS
Power lock questions

Well after searching and reading many threads about this topic I still could not find a true answer. So here I go!

Well I, like many others bought the base model. And like many others want to install power windows/locks. So for windows pretty much going with the "Colibri Star Power window Kit" off the A1 site.

Now for power locks I was going to go with the "Keyless Entry & Cable Lock Kit" again off the A1 site. But my question is, Does the base model have pre-existing harnesses for power locks? Where if I buy all the parts from toyota I can just plug and play?

Also I know many have done both power windows and locks using the kits from A1 but has anyone made a "How to" yet?
Taiyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
i suggest you do not buy the kit from toyota.
This was done on a toyota echo hatchback...
i had queried for a priced on all the parts that i needed and the price of each...
door lock control module = 580$
-i had a 3 doors at the time, so 2 door lock motors
door lock motors = 174$ each
-i said forget the hatch door, but the lock motor was 100$
centre console lock/unlock switch = 80$

all wiring came from factory, all i had to do was plug in the module, run wires from the inside of the doors to the kick panel (where the lock motor plugs into), plug the switch in the centre console, and then swap the lock assembly with new motor.

not exactly the route you want to go, but it is possible...
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiyaki View Post
Well after searching and reading many threads about this topic I still could not find a true answer. So here I go!

Well I, like many others bought the base model. And like many others want to install power windows/locks. So for windows pretty much going with the "Colibri Star Power window Kit" off the A1 site.

Now for power locks I was going to go with the "Keyless Entry & Cable Lock Kit" again off the A1 site. But my question is, Does the base model have pre-existing harnesses for power locks? Where if I buy all the parts from toyota I can just plug and play?

Also I know many have done both power windows and locks using the kits from A1 but has anyone made a "How to" yet?

There was a "how to" on this site before the hack of last fall. Not for sure if it is still on here. Search for a guy by the name of DanQ. I think he was the one that posted it.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Taiyaki
アキバ製

Awww I only could find his keyless entry how to...

But the reason I asked was because I get discount on toyota parts and thought maybe I should go that way.

Hows about power mirrors? If I have the power mirrors and I buy the switch is there harnesses already in there to just plug into? I read somewhere that there are but cant find the thread were I saw it.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
enobmort42
First time DIYer

Drives: '07 LB Polar White
Send a message via AIM to enobmort42
hey, i found this: link. also, when i followed this, i noticed there was a harness/connector up toward the front of the door.. not sure what it went to; am trying to find out now
Old 04-22-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
enobmort42
First time DIYer

(the picture in the second post shows the harness that i'm talking about - up near the mirror)
Old 04-22-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
Taiyaki
アキバ製

Nice thanks, hmmm yes I wonder what that harness does also.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/...Code=W01C-742T
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:49 PM   #9
Taiyaki
アキバ製

I was thinking about getting this

http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/...Category_Code=

But was wondering if I needed to buy the button sepreate

Old 04-22-2009, 02:49 PM   #10
Pitt Yaris

Edit for being wrong, lol.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:50 PM   #11
Pitt Yaris

Quote:
I was thinking about getting this

http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

But was wondering if I needed to buy the button sepreate

http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
Can't see it.....you posted the checkout links. We need the product links. I'm gonna get the keyless with 742t alarm. It's 195 on sedan.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:51 PM   #12
enobmort42
First time DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Yaris View Post
that kit would have made my life 100x easier... i got the python alarm as a gift, had it installed without having power locks, and spent the better part of the power lock installation pulling my hair out trying to figure out where all the wires had to go in order for it to work with the alarm remote lol
Old 04-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #13
Pitt Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by enobmort42 View Post
that kit would have made my life 100x easier... i got the python alarm as a gift, had it installed without having power locks, and spent the better part of the power lock installation pulling my hair out trying to figure out where all the wires had to go in order for it to work with the alarm remote lol
I don't have anything valuable inside my car, and I don't think it will EVER get stolen. I guess I'm just buying the alarm kit so if I ever do get an upgraded head unit or something, I have an alarm. I was just gonna purchase the power locks and keyless, but like you said if I want an alarm in the future, it will be more expensive and it will be a hassle figuring everything out.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:10 PM   #14
Taiyaki
アキバ製

Darn let me try again

and this switch

does it work now?
Old 04-22-2009, 03:24 PM   #15
Pitt Yaris

Yea, that's right. Don't need the switch. If you lock the driver's side door or unlock it from the inside, they all lock or unlock. The switch will just be more work and more problems in the long run. Plus it will look a lot cleaner without a switch.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #16
Taiyaki
アキバ製

how do you unlock it from the inside without a switch? or does the kit come with one already.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:44 PM   #17
Pitt Yaris

Quote:
how do you unlock it from the inside without a switch? or does the kit come with one already.
You unlock the driver's side door and it unlocks all the doors. It's "central locking". You don't even need keyless, but get it if you don't want to use the key to unlock the driver's door/all doors. If you got the standard power lock kit, you would just unlock the door with the key and it would unlock all the doors.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #18
Taiyaki
アキバ製

Ohh so wait. a little confused. so the kit already come with a lock/unlock switch? I dont quite understand how to unlock the driver's side door from the inside with out a switch.