Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Smile Ok, here is my idea... Input appreciated!

Ok, so I've decided my next performance mods will be to help the car breath easier. I've already done the CAI and DC Sports header, and as of right now the rest of the IHE system is stock.

My plan is to use the 1ZZ throttle body (spacer if it's a good idea, might go nitrous), remove one of the catalytic converters and go full custom exhaust after that. The shop that will be doing the exhaust bent and installed the 3" setup and intercooler piping on my Lebaron and they did a great job for around $400 so I will be going back there again. Where I live there are no inspections, but I do want to keep one of the cats, or replace it with a high flow variety (which I did on the Lebaron).

What should I be looking for? I've read the '05 Corolla TB will work but I wanna know exactly what I will need to do to make this work, along with what type of muffler I should be using. I'm wanting it to sound nice but not ricy at WOT, have a nice idle sound, but at cruising be relatively quiet. I'm also thinking a dual-tip center exit as I won't ever be reinstalling a hitch again.

So, lets see what you all have to say about this, bonus points for those who've actually done these things. Also, anyone have any idea how much extra power this might free up?
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
SLIK4
Michael

Drives: 07 Silver Yaris Sedan
as far as muffler goes i've heard good things about magnaflows sound. going full exhaust might free up 5 hp...
SLIK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
06silveryaris

Drives: 2006 yaris
I run a thrush muffler with all factiry piping and it has a good solid sound. And no drone at highway speeds. Plus t was like $23 or something like that at advanced auto
06silveryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
i say wait for the MI turbo kit to come out...
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
This will free up about 2-3 HP.

You will want to use a Thrush or turbo style muffler. A Magnaflow will drone pretty bad.

I have an Imco turbo style muffler on my car. It has been great.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
dean_park

Drives: 2011 VW Golf TDI
you could get that OBX header back that's on eBay. Another member bought it and it actually deleted the cat's... it looked nice and it's a bolt on and I think it was $225 shipped.
dean_park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #7
The Spectacle

Drives: 08 BSP LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by largeorangefont View Post
This will free up about 2-3 HP.

You will want to use a Thrush or turbo style muffler. A Magnaflow will drone pretty bad.

I have an Imco turbo style muffler on my car. It has been great.
I have a Magnaflow, it doesn't drone.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
i have a res-back exhaust it net me 5 whp
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
Astroman
Modded Moderator

great input. I was thinking of either the turbo style or magnaflow so it was great to hear both being mentioned. I had the vitz trd axleback and it gained 2hp, so I'm hoping for at least 5+ with the upcoming setup. I would love to go turbo but as long as this is my daily it aint happenin.

Still would like to hear from the TB people. I put a 52mm on my lebaron beast and it was amazing what it did for that car.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #10
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Ok throttle body on its way, now just for the custom exhaust.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #11
Yoda

the Tb gave about 3 whp for me

this is my dyno chart

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=61

i have not dynoed it yet with the custom exhaust i have now. but i am pretty sure i am sitting at 118whp
Old 05-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ Dyno chart says 103 whp. You think going from a TRD exhaust to a custom exhaust got you 15 whp?

meanwhile, I liked my Magnaflow and it didn't drone. Now I like my Vibrant even better.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #13
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
The cam phasing gives the most power - this is whats cuting power. - the VVTi. the TB is plenty big enough stock. The It only has to be 1. 7 X the diameter of one intake runner. You would need a larger intake and head work and stiffer valve springs to get better breathing. Again the cam advance is killing power - got to find a way to really retard can timing above 4k rpm. I did this by "accident" in the winter, running M1 AFE and the bosch filter with the filtech media ( purolator style unit) This had low oil flow and retarded the cam an the car was ultra racy. All the power you would want.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #14
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Just got the 1zz TB installed and so far no CEL. What amazed me is how much nicer the car sounds! Can't wait to get it out on the open road. My mechanic drove while I rode and he was pretty impressed with how responsive the car is now.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #15
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Wait..

*checks thread section*

Okay, you're fine. If this were general, those fuel econ boys would be all up in yo grill.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #16
Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ Dyno chart says 103 whp. You think going from a TRD exhaust to a custom exhaust got you 15 whp?

meanwhile, I liked my Magnaflow and it didn't drone. Now I like my Vibrant even better.
look again... second dyno says 111.89whp. This was before the i did my custom exhaust.

But here is an idea not sure if it would work. Buy the xa S/C kit and replace your TB with one from an xa ,then you shouldn't have to worry about making an adapter. Or cheaper yet get that weapon r intake manifold i have been hearing about with the xa TB... Just a thought.

Last edited by Yoda; 05-28-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #17
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
Wait..

*checks thread section*

Okay, you're fine. If this were general, those fuel econ boys would be all up in yo grill.
LOL

Weird thing is, my Scangauge shows I'm getting amazing mileage right now (well, not RIGHT now. Right now the car is parked and off) in the high 30s to low 40s. Usually when I zip around town it's in the 20s

Idle was rough after the first test drive, felt like it was surging, then I did throw a check engine light (which I cleared) on the 3rd drive. When I stopped one of the hoses had come undone as the new coupler is a little longer than the stock one. I dunno if my mechanic had forgot to hook it up or it came off. If it does it again I'll just trim the coupler so it fits better.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #18
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
LOL

Weird thing is, my Scangauge shows I'm getting amazing mileage right now (well, not RIGHT now. Right now the car is parked and off) in the high 30s to low 40s. Usually when I zip around town it's in the 20s

Idle was rough after the first test drive, felt like it was surging, then I did throw a check engine light (which I cleared) on the 3rd drive. When I stopped one of the hoses had come undone as the new coupler is a little longer than the stock one. I dunno if my mechanic had forgot to hook it up or it came off. If it does it again I'll just trim the coupler so it fits better.
I was talking about your cat removal.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote