Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-21-2016, 09:00 PM   #1
SLIK4
Michael

Drives: 07 Silver Yaris Sedan
too much drone...

just messing around with my friend i decided just to take of the stock axle back and drive around like that for a bit. well its only been a couple days and i knew it would be loud and drone alot but its just horrible and the sound isn't good either. my question is will putting pretty much any axle back system on as long as it has a muffler help with the highway speed drone? still want a good sound under throttle but would like it quiet while cruising.
SLIK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:00 AM   #2
Caramanos2000

Drives: 2012 Yaris 5dr Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIK4 View Post
just messing around with my friend i decided just to take of the stock axle back and drive around like that for a bit. well its only been a couple days and i knew it would be loud and drone alot but its just horrible and the sound isn't good either. my question is will putting pretty much any axle back system on as long as it has a muffler help with the highway speed drone? still want a good sound under throttle but would like it quiet while cruising.
Just toss a turbo muffler on and hope for the best. What you describe is everyones dream exhaust but you have unrealistic expectations.
Caramanos2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:15 AM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Megan is a common choice.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:29 AM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
fwiw I got a custom exhaust made that I'd say works really well to have virtually zero drone and a decent sound under throttle.

I did a primary cat delete, left the stock resonator on and have a turbo muffler on the back. All the piping in 2.25". I originally had a resonator delete but found it a little raspy under WOT and too loud for when I was just cruising around town and not wanting to drive hard. That said, I did love the dirty burble type noise without the resonator.

IMP the resonator is what really helps stop the drone at highway speeds
Old 03-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #5
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
I 100% agree with the resonator idea. I know when I had my cavalier, I did a full custom exhaust and fit the longest resonator I could fit under the car. It sounded great and was actually fairly deep for a 4 banger. I would actually set off a coworkers alarm every morning when I got to work, LoL.

That is the one thing that kinda sucks about our configuration, is the axle back gives so few options.

I had heard that the Megan system is really nice, I liked all the clips I heard.
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:23 PM   #6
SLIK4
Michael

Drives: 07 Silver Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramanos2000 View Post
Just toss a turbo muffler on and hope for the best. What you describe is everyones dream exhaust but you have unrealistic expectations.
i understand that it won't be as quiet as stock but i'm assuming a muffler of any kind would cut the drone as compared to none at all like i have currently. i'll probably go custom axle back and keep all the cats and res as is so i was just looking for opinions on nice sounding yet not too loud mufflers like maybe the flowmaster 60 series?
SLIK4 is offline   Reply With Quote