Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-03-2016, 04:38 PM   #1
PhoenixDriver
I've made a post!

Drives: 2012 Toyata Yaris Sedan
2012 Yaris Sedan. Dash lights, charging issues

Appreciate any help I can get on this.

Back on Friday the 24th of June, I bought this car. However that evening as I set out on a long drive, I noticed the blinkers quit working. Made note of it and was going to schedule to have it looked at. As I was returning on Sunday, I noticed the check engine light came on as well as the Track controls and battery lights. Then the power steering light came on and it quit working. Then I lost throttle and had to have it towed to an NTB.

After checking the car, and noticing all the fuses were fine they said the alternator was not charging the battery. They replaced the alternator and the car was fine for a few days and the battery light would come back on. So I took it back and they said it may be a faulty alternator, and they replaced it. However, they said the lights were still coming on and said they could try to diagnose the problem but labor would be $88/hour so I'm trying to decide what I want to do at the beginning of the week.

Any ideas what this could be? Also another thing with the battery light. If I hit the brake, the battery light and gear indicator lights go out but come back on when I release the brake. Sometimes I noticed I would have to use the bypass button to get the car out of park as well. If I try to use the blinker, the battery light starts flashing quickly and randomly.

Thanks for any help ahead of time!
PhoenixDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:04 PM   #2
jra

Drives: 2015 yaris L
Phoenix Driver, something like that can be tough to track down, I would check everything I could before hiring anyone. I would start with the battery, clean posts and see if there is any loose or corrosion on the wires where they attach to the battery cable ends. Check all the body grounds you can find and any grounds on the engine block. look at the wiring harnesses and plugs, see anything taped up that wasn't done at factory, take tape off to see if there are any loose wires. look inside car for the same kind of stuff.
jra is offline   Reply With Quote