Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-06-2017, 01:58 PM   #1
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
2018 Yaris - here they come

last night autotrader showed 1 in the whole country

today autotrader shows 11 and all >2K miles away from me

at this rate maybe my local dealer will have one soon

my plan is to trade the '16 for an '18 as soon as they are available here and i can actually see it

and

if the dealer doesnt rape me too badly on the trade in. otherwise i will just sell the '16 myself

the yaris is my 2nd/ roadtrip car and this plan is completely independent of replacing the bmw i3 as my daily driver

still workin' on that

justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:34 PM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Why trade in? You just lose money
Old 07-06-2017, 06:18 PM   #3
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
If I'm not mistaken, he leases them for 2-3 yrs at a time.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:36 PM   #4
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
last night autotrader showed 1 in the whole country

today autotrader shows 11 and all >2K miles away from me

at this rate maybe my local dealer will have one soon

my plan is to trade the '16 for an '18 as soon as they are available here and i can actually see it

and

if the dealer doesnt rape me too badly on the trade in. otherwise i will just sell the '16 myself

the yaris is my 2nd/ roadtrip car and this plan is completely independent of replacing the bmw i3 as my daily driver

still workin' on that

Those tacky/cheap-looking black inserts on the back bumper of the 2018 triggers my OCD. I would have to have a local auto shop paint them to match the bumper color/finish, while leaving the reflector part intact of course. The ones on the current Honda Fit have the same effect on me.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:34 PM   #5
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
Those tacky/cheap-looking black inserts on the back bumper of the 2018 triggers my OCD. I would have to have a local auto shop paint them to match the bumper color/finish, while leaving the reflector part intact of course. The ones on the current Honda Fit have the same effect on me.
I have exactly the same feeling. I really dislike that new fad. And, it seems one car manufacturer is trying to outdo the other with bigger and bigger fake front and rear vents. Yuk!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:09 AM   #6
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Drives: Hatchbacks
I think the big whale mouth front end actually looks larger in the 2018 facelift. The Yaris has gone from bulbous and smiling, to angry and scowling. The engineers at Toyota must be in a bad mood to make all their new cars look this way.
bradbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:25 PM   #7
justanotherdrunk

had a few experiences where i hated the pics of a car then seeing it in person it looked much better

we'll see
Old 07-07-2017, 08:38 PM   #8
justanotherdrunk

some dealer pics of a 2018 LE

i think it looks pretty good

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...delCode1=YARIS

of course i would only buy an SE
Old 07-07-2017, 08:46 PM   #9
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
some dealer pics of a 2018 LE

i think it looks pretty good

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...delCode1=YARIS
We will have to agree to disagree - and that's from someone who actually likes the look of the SE version of the 2015-2017, overall (unlike most other people it would seem).

Stock L/LE trims just don't look right on these newer, crazier styles (2015+ Yaris) due to being stripped/watered-down on the exterior features/accessories.

Even the 2018 SE is a lackluster step back IMO, with the overdone LED DRL clown headlights, really overdone front grill, upside-down chrome fangs near the fog-lights, tacky black cutouts on rear bumper, and cheaped-out (non-LED unlike other markets), generic-looking rear tail-lights - and still no simple side mirror turn-signals, no simple OEM exhaust-tip, etc. Unlike the 2015-2017, the 2018 refresh now looks blatantly like a frog/fish (just like the iA & current Camry). Don't even get me started on the Toyota Stupid-Sense-C (for intoxicated, distracted & dementia drivers) that they shove down our throats at extra built-in price hikes on the base sticker price.

Last edited by Kalispel; 07-07-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:30 AM   #10
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
Oh my lord they finally put the UK phone controls and radio in them. At least once people start crashing these I can get the phone controls easier than shipping them from the UK for my 2016.

The radio also has a "car" button so it will most likely have the fuel economy graphs like other Toyota's finally. Sad it lost the HD radio to gain that feature though...
Old 07-12-2017, 01:38 AM   #11
stykerdk
Yaris Hybrid Limited 2015

Drives: yaris Hybrid limited 2015
I Think the European headlights with lLED stripes look much cooler.
But finally they have movef the rear wiper to the Window and center mounted it so it also have a funktion on LHD cars.
Just be happy it aint VW Or MB then you get both fake plastic exhaust in the bumper and fake Big engine Sound from a sound actuator.

Here is two of the new for sale in Denmark .
http://www.bilbasen.dk/brugt/bil/toy...ium-5d/3281245
http://www.bilbasen.dk/brugt/bil/toy...cvt-5d/3322617
And yes cars are highly taxed in Denmark.

Dodge A i wouldnt bet On that the new stearing wheel controlls works with the older models.
You Can also buy them on alibaba.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...146041394.html
None at aliexpress at the moment.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #12
justanotherdrunk

waiting for one to actually appear here at a dealer then decide if i want to trade the 16 for an 18
Old 07-12-2017, 01:17 PM   #13
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
What's with the price? $19 grand USD for a sub compact what happened to the original first gen where you could get it for $14 grand albeit a base model, but still

More crap in a car they tell us we need but very few actually do, all the while the prices creep up...

Last edited by tmontague; 07-12-2017 at 03:30 PM.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:29 PM   #14
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
What's with the price? $19 grand USD for a sub compact what happened to the original first ten where youbcoukd get it for $14 grand albeit a base model, but still

More cheap is a car they tell us we need but very few actually do, all the while the prices creep up...
It's exactly what's putting me (and probably a lot of people) off from buying a newer Yaris. I just can't justify spending that much on a car of this class...

Then again, the opposite phenomenon is happening in Japan, where a sub-compact car like a Yaris can be more expensive then a sports car...
Old 07-12-2017, 07:33 PM   #15
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Sticker price on my '07 was basically $12,500.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:02 PM   #16
Kalispel

The 2018 SE is almost $1000 more sticker than the 2015 SE was. I'm guessing that we can thank Toyota StupidSense C for that increase, since nothing else has changed mechanically.

Last edited by Kalispel; 07-12-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:58 AM   #17
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Im pretty irritated that they did exactly what I wanted them to do on the SE trim, Piano Gloss black interior accents Sport analog gauges on L and LE trims, Blue metallic and dual tone trim, 7.0" Touch Screen its making my 2015 look like a dinosaur compared to the new 2018. Irritated that they bring over the euro styling but not the entire GRMN package, why make a limited 1500 Run unit and offer nothing for it, no optional 2zr, supercharger suspension bits, etc. Okay yes I applaud them for bring over the sport ano but from guides on the forum I can just get one for 196 off of a toyota parts seller online, repin the plug, have the millage transfered over buy the sport seats from the SE for like 500 a piece install them hook up the airbags, get the rear spoiler, get the SE rear brakes to do a conversion, get the euro hybrid bumper and get the hybrid lights from amazon/ ebay, get the TRD Sp6 wheels from japan, the TRD supesnion bits the REbranded KYB shocks and still spend under 18 k and have the most unique car on the face of this planet.

A while back they also offered the TRD intake for the 2008- 2011 Yaris but that part is a rare find. Why are they still not offering the rear suspension or the TRD suspension pars like they did with scion. Doesnt toyota realize that inorder to bring more buyers to the yaris you need to offer more then standard features and add some performance bits. Like Id buy a yaris if I could bold on warranties TRD parts, Dont really understand why toyota doesnt atleast follow suit and start offering off market parts that are avail overseas for the VITZ but I mean thats just me doing my research. People in america just see it as an 18,250 USD throwaway car. Its appaling how much these cars have support and young kids just buy them as their first car like the XB and the XA, or eldery and then I look on carmax or used places and I see 2015. 2016 yarises mostly 4 doors with like 26k miles, Astounding,

anyways, thats my piece on it, I probably ranted a lot.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:33 PM   #18
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Drives: Hatchbacks
The local dealers in CA are offering some very good deals on base model (L) 2017 Yarii to clear the path for the 2018's. I was offered $13,100 + tax/fees/etc in Sacramento. I bought my first Yaris in Nov 2006 (base model) for for around $12k so that isn't too far off.

I agree that it's a shame we don't get the performance hot hatch version here.
bradbowl is offline   Reply With Quote