Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-21-2018, 12:32 PM   #1
PaulDostal
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Wipers sometimes only work when pulled

Hi, I have a 2008 Toyota Yaris and I replaced my windshield wiper motor back in April this year after the motor completely failed. Everything seemed to be ok, but recently with the rains coming, I've actually had to use the wipers more often, and I've noticed that the wipers aren't always responding to my commands. Often I actually have to either pull over and gently pull on one of the blades in order for it to work, or I have to find a bump in the road and go over it with the wiper switch turned on. If I hit the bump right, the wipers will work. I think it's an alignment problem where the motor isn't returning to its proper starting position. Any thoughts?
PaulDostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #2
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
Based on your description I suspect that your wiper linkage/transmission is the issue and needs to be adjusted or repaired/replaced. The wiper transmission or wiper linkage connects the wiper motor to the wiper arms and synchronizes their movement. It can jam up and sometimes just a adjustment is need, the bushings on the pivot points wearing out is the most common failure point. You'll need to take off the wiper arms, and the large plastic cowl piece under them to get a good look at the wiper linkage.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...nsmission,8856
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote