Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-01-2016, 10:11 AM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Rust Inhibition - What do you all do?

I'm curious as to what some of you all do who live in the salt belt to keep rust away? I'd like to keep my '08 to pass on to my future child and I can always swap an engine but if the body rusts out then that won't be happening.

I bought this car with just under 90k km on it from Quebec. The only rust is a quarter sized bubble on the trunk coming out of the corner of the fake chrome trim above the license plate. I'll eventually try and fix it myself further down the road as you can barely see it now. Worst case I could just buy a used un rusted trunk and paint it.

Last spring I did a bunch of research and started to actively do things to keep rust away. I do the following:

Once the spring comes (salt is finally washed off the road) I put my car up on ramps and spray the underside down (after I wash the exterior). Then I go for a fast drive on the highway (sunny dry day) to get rid of the water under the car. Then I go to Krown and get it sprayed. I then give my car a good wash and use a synthetic wax (paint sealant). I wash it every month or so in the summer and re apply the wax ever 4 months.

In the winter I usually take advantage of a warm day and wash the car so that I can re apply the paint sealant to protect it from the salt.

I don't have the $ to take my car through the car wash every week in the winter. I also don't feel it's a good idea to pressure wash a car that often as it strips away the sealant I've applied. Also the car wash tracks scratch rims.

The salt/water isn't really corrosive at cold temps, it becomes bad once the spring thaw sets it. In other words the corrosion starts when people don't properly wash off their cars after winter. I spoke with the owner at Krown and he said the best time to do the car was in the spring once the salt is gone. This matched up with what my research found. I also don't let them use their power washer to clean the car after they've sprayed it, I just wash it myself.

After a year since it got sprayed there is still a considerable amount of oil film on the car. The frame of my car is in great shape with very little rust. I also spray certain rust prone parts 2x a year (end links, strut bolts, exhaust bolts etc) just to ensure I can fix won out parts without the extra headache.

Curious what you all do, especially those that have early 2000 Echo's and what not. My Echo was purchased with pretty bad rust on the rear wheel wells and the front of the rough so I don't bother with it.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Do they spray with crankcase oil? That's what we did in upstate NY.

I'd go back to krown for another spray come fall. That oil disappears pretty quick.

I'd be spraying that ECHO too. No telling how long the mechanicals will run...
Old 03-01-2016, 11:23 AM   #3
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post

I'd go back to krown for another spray come fall. That oil disappears pretty quick.

From my understanding it is not a mechanical oil, but a specific oil/gel like substance specific for rust proofing. I plan on doing it every spring, but I was surprised as to how well my car is still coated from last spring.

It isn't as liquid as most oil based sprays, it is almost like a gel, it doesn't drip off after a month but it also doesn't harden and trap water against the metal like others do. I find it a good balance between what is available at other places.

The Echo won't pass the e test so it's only good until Dec 2017. It's also going through oil a bit. It's not worth me to do the work to clear the CEL's to pass the etest (new cat converter, EGR system) and I'm not going to put new rings on it to fix the oi issue. I can't complain at 371,500km and counting and still runs great. Fuel consumption is much higher than my Yaris and I drive my car hard. Plus the fiancee wouldn't mind getting a nicer looking/more future mom realistic Toyota Matrix (or Pontiac Vibe and save over a grand).

She bought it about 4 years ago with 290,000km on it for just over 2k, pretty great purchase. That said, if I didn't wrench cars it would've been scrapped last year when I over hauled the suspension. It's ridiculously smooth to drive, just a little creaky on the interior in the winter.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #4
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
Quote:

I think he might be referring to used motor oil. I know, because of the acidic nature of it, alot of old timers spray their underside of the car with it. They say it etches into the metal and sticks better.
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:17 PM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
From my understanding it is not a mechanical oil, but a specific oil/gel like substance specific for rust proofing. I plan on doing it every spring, but I was surprised as to how well my car is still coated from last spring.

It isn't as liquid as most oil based sprays, it is almost like a gel, it doesn't drip off after a month but it also doesn't harden and trap water against the metal like others do. I find it a good balance between what is available at other places.

The Echo won't pass the e test so it's only good until Dec 2017. It's also going through oil a bit. It's not worth me to do the work to clear the CEL's to pass the etest (new cat converter, EGR system) and I'm not going to put new rings on it to fix the oi issue. I can't complain at 371,500km and counting and still runs great. Fuel consumption is much higher than my Yaris and I drive my car hard. Plus the fiancee wouldn't mind getting a nicer looking/more future mom realistic Toyota Matrix (or Pontiac Vibe and save over a grand).

She bought it about 4 years ago with 290,000km on it for just over 2k, pretty great purchase. That said, if I didn't wrench cars it would've been scrapped last year when I over hauled the suspension. It's ridiculously smooth to drive, just a little creaky on the interior in the winter.
When I was young Id buy a car for $500 and put maybe another $500 in it and have a good running car for 3 or 4 years. Sounds like you're doing the same thing!
Old 03-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #6
tmontague

absolutely...the more knowledge you have the more you can take advantage of others lack of (or just plain disinterest). There are a ton of cars being sold for next to nothing due to a worn clutch or what have you, although other wise they are great cars. This e test thing makes that a bit harder though
Old 03-02-2016, 09:33 AM   #7
Be_Jammin

Drives: 2010 Yaris Liftback A/T
I used to get my 2001 Olds Alero sprayed with krown yearly. When I got rid of it last June, it was essentially rust free, except for the exhaust (plus a couple of spots where I managed to scratch the paint somehow). The underside looked great for its age.
Be_Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:07 PM   #8
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Really?

My car pretty much continually drips from its Krown treatment!

It's been a couple of years since the last one and it's still coming out in spots!
Old 03-02-2016, 01:23 PM   #9
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Krown I wouldn't say drips, but rather continues to ooze/seep. Mine does the same. It does not however, drip all over the driveway like mechanical oil sprays do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2016, 01:02 AM   #10
"G"

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
fluidfilm.
"G" is offline   Reply With Quote