Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #19
Blown_xa

Drives: Scion xA
I swear by TOYO tires. You folk in soCal may not have this issue, but I had a heck of a time getting heat in Hankooks ( on rear) during early spring and fall events. I had to drive 70% to keep rear from coming out on me. I consider myself a serious competitor in NASA Mid Atlantic Autocross Series, I went from running Hankook Z214 c71 compound r- comps, to TOYO R1R street tires. So far ( 2 events into the season) I have made the right choice. 1st event was in 40 degree temperature, 2nd was in the rain. TOYO R1Rs are BEAST in the rain with at least 2\3 tread. You can run 100% without even warming them up, compound stays soft in cold or wet.

TOYO RR's (40 treadware) are available now http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/pr...petition-tires , if the compound properties are similar, these will be the tire to beat. Mark my words.

Also, you have to look at what the quick SMF guys are doing...... saying '' 205s are ok on my 2600lb car are ok so....'' just isn't gonna cut it ( if you want to be competitive ) . Brian Karwan is a local to me, he is the national SMF champion , sub 2000lb car running 275's in the front . 225's in rear (narrow to get heat) . Nobody can touch that guy. I mean his setup goes way beyond tire choice , but that is an example .
I personally choose not to run my local SCCA events because the organizers take the fun out of it and think they are running a F1 race, and generally the competitor's are uptight.
When I do run with them, I am competitive .... But Brian Karwan is untouchable.

Ptuning.com

Last edited by Blown_xa; 04-01-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Blown_xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #20
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
in cold temps the Toyos work, I just hate hate hate the way they feel when driving, plus I have an exuberant driving style and I'll overheat tires through a run. Generally here in SoCal we have 70+ second runs and the Toyos don't seem to hold up all that well at least with my $hit driving. We don't normally see track temps below 50 degrees here, but if you have right setup, toyos are really really hard to beat.

If I was buying a tire for SMF I'd look at R comps and 245 minimum in the front and a 8-9" rim but and this is a big but I don't know a damn thing about SMF setup so yeah.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #21
Blown_xa

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
in cold temps the Toyos work, I just hate hate hate the way they feel when driving, plus I have an exuberant driving style and I'll overheat tires through a run. Generally here in SoCal we have 70+ second runs and the Toyos don't seem to hold up all that well at least with my $hit driving. We don't normally see track temps below 50 degrees here, but if you have right setup, toyos are really really hard to beat.

If I was buying a tire for SMF I'd look at R comps and 245 minimum in the front and a 8-9" rim but and this is a big but I don't know a damn thing about SMF setup so yeah.
That is very strange that you overheated them in a single autocross run, I ran 30 minute track sessions on them and proved to be very very consistent. Maybe you aren't running enough camber? I run -3 degrees at least. Im guessing you toasted the outside?

Ptuning.com
Old 04-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #22
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
I ran 205/50R15 DZ101s last summer and was pretty happy with them all around. There's lots of other things that I would like to do for the cost of R-comps and 13" wheels first, i.e. my gearbox build, since I can enjoy that on a daily basis instead of twice a month in the summer. =)
By the title I thought you were looking for SMF class tires, not street tires.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #23
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown_xa View Post
That is very strange that you overheated them in a single autocross run, I ran 30 minute track sessions on them and proved to be very very consistent. Maybe you aren't running enough camber? I run -3 degrees at least. Im guessing you toasted the outside?
Count the number of turns in that 30sec run versus your lap. Autocross puts a much bigger hurting on tires than the average road course.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #24
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Quote:

I have -3.5 on camber and 0 deg toe.
Ran 2 track days back to back on em and they didn't overheat, but I'll overheat them easily halfway through an autox run. I'm a pretty exuberant driver (aka bad) and I have big issues with inside spin so I can overheat Toyos without trying. According to my temp data I toast the middle and my wear pattern seems to say I'm using to much pressure but I don't like going below 29 psi.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #25
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
I'll let you know how the Rivals are, I just bought a set of 205/50/15.
Excellent. Again, I'm not building for SMF--that's just where the S/C puts me. My suspension also isn't set up for R-comp levels of grip (tokico blues/S-Techs/no camber adjustments) because I also DD the little bugger. Anyway, looking forward to seeing how they run!
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #26
Blown_xa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
Count the number of turns in that 30sec run versus your lap. Autocross puts a much bigger hurting on tires than the average road course.
Never thought about it like that. What is the difference between a autocross compound vs road course compound ? c51 vs c71, a6 vs r6? I was under the assumtion autocross compound took to heat quicker ? If so, Im lost

Ptuning.com
Old 04-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #27
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Quote:
Never thought about it like that. What is the difference between a autocross compound vs road course compound ? c51 vs c71, a6 vs r6? I was under the assumtion autocross compound took to heat quicker ? If so, Im lost

Autox compounds don't require heat or as much of it to work. Makes them good for Time Trials and such where you don't get 2-3 laps to heat them up.

So I've had the Rivals on for a day or two and I'm kinda on the fence about them. They are certainly good tires and have quite excellent grip, but I can't seem to get them to breakaway like I want, I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

I've also been unable to induce massive tire squeal that most others have so I may not be pushing them hard enough yet, but I have seen 1.18g on them right out of the box during a test run whiich is pretty amazing.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #28
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
running them this weekend?
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #29
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Absolutely :) They have quite a bit more forward grip than the Toyos

I guess would put them on par or maybe slightly less than the Toyo R1R for now but they definately are easier to drive than the Z2, they really really do wear well though I would guess better than the Z2 and thats the best wearing tire I've seen so far.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #30
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
How did they behave?
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #31
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
does anyone run Nitto tires? the NeoGen (205/50R15) i am using grip a great deal better than the Yokohamas i was using and they have a tread design that allows them to even preform well in wet conditions (not fresh rain due to oils on the road but after it has been raining and washed the oils away).
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #32
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

The tires worked well, although I'm running into the tread splice issue that most people seem to be having. Not sure if its a problem, most people seem to agree is a cosmetic issue only
Old 04-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #33
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
Quote:
The tires worked well, although I'm running into the tread splice issue that most people seem to be having. Not sure if its a problem, most people seem to agree is a cosmetic issue only
This issue you describe, is it like the issue people are having with Toyo's new R-Comp road race tire, or totally different??

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #34
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

I wouldn't call it an issue...at least yet. Its just a tread splice line, it seems more cosmetic to me than anything else, TireRack has pictures and I'm sure they will make an appropriate call either way.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #35
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
Quote:
I wouldn't call it an issue...at least yet. Its just a tread splice line, it seems more cosmetic to me than anything else, TireRack has pictures and I'm sure they will make an appropriate call either way.
Just in case, here is some interesting reading that came out about the new Toyo RR tires awhile back. Seems that storing these newer competition tires in cold areas before mounting can cause these tread slice issues. With the Toyos they put out an advisory about a change of mounting procedures, not sure but BFG might end up with something silmular!

http://mazdaracers.com/topic/3039-to...r-tires/page-2

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #36
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

I'm not going to vilify bfg yet, its a new competition tire. But I did have it happen on all 4 of my tires.