Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-17-2006, 02:36 PM   #1
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
balance shafts

Curious if our engines have balance shafts, one of the common mods on the pt cruiser turbo's and the srt-4, was to remove the balance shafts, which addeda few more hp, with no ill effects to drive ability...

so do we have them, are they easy to remove on the toyota's, and who's going to be the first?

Steve
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 04:14 PM   #2
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch View Post
so do we have them, are they easy to remove on the toyota's, and who's going to be the first?
No, no and no one.

HTH
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:27 AM   #3
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Drives: 07 PW Yaris
None, Chain driven valvetrain and very reliable. The stock engine is balanced very wll. Very little harmonics.
BTW removing balance shafts really aren't a good thing on any engine.
there is a reason why they are there.
DTM_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 01:02 AM   #4
punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM_Yaris View Post
None, Chain driven valvetrain and very reliable. The stock engine is balanced very wll. Very little harmonics.
BTW removing balance shafts really aren't a good thing on any engine.
there is a reason why they are there.
ah yes, but you know the srt-4 crowd has been doing this with zero problems, and freeing up a few ponies, and also deleting about 20lbs of steel.

you seem very knowledgeable about these cars, have any good links to share, tear downs, performance goodies, etc... i wanna go past the bolt on stage, and inside the engine ( I may have a spare coming up soon), i'm talking auto tranny mods, camshafts, pistons, driveshafts etc...

My previous car was 250hp sleeper, would love to have similar gains in the platform.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:58 AM   #5
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
Quote:
ah yes, but you know the srt-4 crowd has been doing this with zero problems, and freeing up a few ponies, and also deleting about 20lbs of steel.

you seem very knowledgeable about these cars, have any good links to share, tear downs, performance goodies, etc... i wanna go past the bolt on stage, and inside the engine ( I may have a spare coming up soon), i'm talking auto tranny mods, camshafts, pistons, driveshafts etc...

My previous car was 250hp sleeper, would love to have similar gains in the platform.
Zero problems right now, but in the long run, they will begin to have problems with crank bearings and eventually wear on the crank and the lower end of the engine... there is a very good reason the balance shafts are there, ask my friend... an SRT-4 driver, who removed his balance shafts... after about 60,000 miles, he started to have some problems, turned out the unbalanced engine ate his crank bearings for dinner, so after replacement of the bearings and crank, he put his balance shafts back in and hasn't thought twice about it, luckily, the 1NZ doesn't have these, as there is no need for them in it's design. Any changes in the rotating mass of a valve or drive train is usually a very bad idea unless you're positive that the replacement is properly balanced, cranks and cams are ok for replacement as long as that replacement is well made and isn't off balance. completely taking components, as useless as they seem, out of the equation is almost always a very bad idea, and you will sacrifice reliability.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 10:28 PM   #6
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Drives: 07 PW Yaris
Quote:

Working on it bud. Look for something very shortly.
DTM_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 12:15 PM   #7
punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM_Yaris View Post
Working on it bud. Look for something very shortly.