Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Let's talk tools

So maybe it is because I really don't know what the heck is going on, but I'd like to talk about all these tools that people with knowledge and ability mention, and maybe good places to get them as well.

One thing I see all the time is an impact gun. Now from usage I assume it is an electric type machine that can be used to loosen bolts.

But when I go look for one that name isn't there, so the real name is obviously something else.

So what can be used as an impact gun and where would be a good place to get one? Can a cordless drill be used?
Old 05-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
SailDesign

Drives: .
You want to Google "Impact Wrench", why?
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
I maintain my own vehicles, I've used my impact tools a good 2x's a year, tops. I've used this 13" length of copper pipe(for leverage) more often than I can count. Get a piece of pipe first. ;)

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Impact wrenches come in both electrical and pneumatic. Great to loosen things and to start on the tightening but you'll also really need a good torque wrench too.

One place to get decent tools at a great price is Harbor Freight. It's all made in China and the quality/longevity isn't there, but still a great place to get useable tools cheap.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
NAPA tool are pretty good, Tech suggest those as a decent starter set you can get whole mechanics starter set for just under 2k and the tools are warrantied so if you break them you can quickly get them exchanged for new ones at your local NAPA Auto parts.
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Craftsman tools (sold at SEARS) are also warrantied for life, you bring it in and they give you a new one, forever.

An impact gun is nice, I have an electric one for changing wheels at the track, and a compressor-driven one for the shop. I don't use it most of the time, but for stubborn things it is indispensable and saves a lot of messed up knuckles.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Sometimes garage/estate/moving sales are a good place to pick up used tools real cheap.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
tl;dr: buy an electric impact wrench, preferably one that can also do 12V. Get a 3/8" breaker bar. Tear stuff down in record time.

I've sourced most of my "infrequent use" tools from Harborfreight. As stated above, the quality isn't always great, but the price is reasonable for tools that aren't used all day every day.

My favorite purchase in the last few years was a 3/8" breaker bar: it's like a socket wrench, but it doesn't ratchet, and it comes in much longer lengths. For about $20 you can get an 18" one, which is plenty for everything on this car that I've thrown at it.

The risk you run with a pipe on your socket wrench, is busting the internals and rendering it useless. If you use too long of a pipe, you also risk over-torquing: stretched bolts and sheared heads aren't fun.

As far as an impact wrench, I would start with an electric in the largest size you can afford. Air guns can be less expensive, but require a substantial air compressor to drive them (20+ gal, high CFM rates, possibly 220V). If you can get one that runs off your 12V accessory plug instead of/in addition to a 110 wall plug, you can use it just about anywhere.

I'm not sure where cordless impact guns fall in this category, but my gut feeling is that you won't be able to get one strong enough to do much more than small fasteners for less than the cost of a nice corded or pneumatic setup.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #9
SailDesign

Drives: .
My oldest tool is a length of iron pipe (about 3ft) with a pipe-bender fitting on the end just big enough to slip over my biggest wrench or socket ratchet. We call it the Wonder Bar, and even my kids have been unable to break it. they've left home now but the WB is still going....
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, Sears, Lowes (Kobalt), yard sales, estate auctions and of course on line. Local jobbers....Snap On and the other major 2 which at the moment slip my mind. Like Cali, my impacts are air driven and are 1/2 and 3/8 drive. While some will use regular sockets with impacts, for safety I only use extensions and sockets designed for impact use. You can save if thats all you get as they can still be used with normal ratchets. Have fun accumulating.

Specific to question....impacts are Snap On and I've had them for years.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
thanks everything, sort of what I was hoping to get. What other tools does everyone seem to use a lot?
Old 05-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
10mm sockets.. can not have enough of those.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #13
sex

Drives: 09 5DR
Rubber mallet. Useful for after you get the fasteners off ;)
sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #14
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
You need a good socket set too - not a cheap one - but a good one. It's the one thing I wouldn't skimp on. In addition to the breaker bar so many have mentioned, you gotta have at least one set of good vise grips too.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #15
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I'd suggest something other than a rubber mallet. A deadblow hammer or a brass/nylon headed hammer would be much better: deadblows don't waste energy by bouncing, and a brass/nylon will let you beat on steel without damaging it.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #16
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
My Parents bought me a basic mechanics tool box set from Sears about 30 years ago. It came with a batch of combination wrenches, screwdrivers, socket wrenches (1/4",3/8",1/2" drive), allen wrehches, and a hacksaw with extra blades. I later added ballpein hammers, an electric impact with metric impact sockets, 1/2" breaker bar 18" long, and all sorts of stubby to extra long metric wenches, both open, closed and flare nut style. It would take an hour to tell you all the tools I've got and right now their contained in 4 different boxes, 1 MAC, 1 Crasftsman, 2 Husky (Home Depot brand also Lifetime warranty).

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:15 AM   #17
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
thanks everything, sort of what I was hoping to get. What other tools does everyone seem to use a lot?
I can't stress the importance of a good torque wrench enough, keep it seperate from the rest of your tools(preferably in it's original package) and don't drop the mofo. If you're going to take things apart you CANNOT put them back together as they were intended without a torque wrench, period. I keep two, one for light torqing(1+lb) amd one for the heavier stuff.

Also, hacksaw...

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:23 AM   #18
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Any local auto parts store (like Pep Boys) should have an electric impact wrench. I know because that's where I got mine. A good one will come with the wrench (or drill, whatever name you wanna use), battery charger, and case with space for up to 4 different sized lug sockets. Shop around.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote