Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
SRS warning light - any guesses?

My new Yaris is telling me that something isn't right. After about a month of ownership, the airbag warning light is now lighting up. The car is totally stock.

I did notice a little rattle in the B-pillar a while ago - I wonder if somebody at the factory might not have fully connected a wiring harness (pre-tensioner?) and it's worked loose. I'll mention my little theory when I take it in.

Does anybody know if the Toyota scanner shows different codes for SRS warning situations? Any guesses as to what's wrong?

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
under warranty.... take it back to the dealership..... since it is a fault in the safety devise you will get a rental if it can not be fixed that day......

do not fiddle with it, may give them a reason to not cover it under warranty
Old 05-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
Goose
Car Geek

Agreed. I didn't think about the loaner situation; sounds like a good opportunity for an extended test drive.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
Goose
Car Geek

Just updating/finishing the thread after getting my car back.

Dealer noted that the system lost contact with a portion of the circuit (didn't specify what part). Lost communication described in service notes as "side satellite sensor bus". Trouble code "B1642" was in the history, per service notes.

Just in case this info is useful to somebody...

Old 05-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
Goose
Car Geek

Another update...

SRS light came on again today. In case anybody has one of these airbag warning lights come on, the specific error code is erased if you turn off the engine. The car's computer will store a general code in its memory, but the general code doesn't give specific info about the fault.

Even with the light on, the engine running and the diagnostic machine plugged in, though, the dealer is still can't find the fault...

Aren't electrical problems fun?

Old 05-28-2009, 08:49 PM   #6
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
lol sounds like an intermittent wire problem .....gonna have to do a trace.....
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #7
Goose
Car Geek

This is getting to be a pain...

The SRS light keeps lighting up. I've been back to the dealer twice for this problem, and the light has lit up again. I must admit that my dealer said that it probably would since they couldn't isolate the problem the last time. Unfortunately, I didn't get any paperwork from the last visit; if this continues I'm going to start getting cranky with Toyota (ie three visits = lemon). Although a light on the dash isn't a big deal, my dealer tells me that the SRS system won't deploy when it's lit - that is a big deal.

Coincidentally, my Toyota "how do you like your car" survey showed up in my email. This could be fun...

Old 06-08-2009, 11:14 PM   #8
Goose
Car Geek

Still a pain...

Took the Yaris in today (third time). In order to fix the problem the conclusion was to replace the entire central wiring loom. Unfortunately, there aren't any central looms available in North America. My car is currently sitting at the dealer with its guts hanging out and I'm driving a Corolla loaner.

This is like when I had my first Yaris - the entire tranny needed to be replaced for an oil leak. Toyota wound up air-lifting a replacement from Japan to expedite the repair. Based on this experience, I don't think Toyota will take that long to produce the new wiring loom. Here's a link to an old thread on my tranny service experience:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1961

Just sharing yet another unique Yaris service experience.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #9
Goose
Car Geek

Well, it's been two weeks and my car might be ready by the end of the day. The Corolla is a nice car, but I've missed my little Yaris. Just for giggles, I took a few pics of the Yaris "on the operating table". Glad I didn't have to pay for this:

Old 06-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
lemon law that beast ASAP
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:07 PM   #11
Goose
Car Geek

I appreciate the idea, but I'm confident that the repair will be fine. If this replacement somehow doesn't solve the problem, though, I'm sure my dealer will offer to set me up with another car.

I'm interested to see if this process introduces rattles into my interior.

EDIT: No need for Dynamat with me; I'm happy with how the interior sounds (don't want to add weight, either). Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:16 AM   #12
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post

EDIT: No need for Dynamat with me; I'm happy with how the interior sounds (don't want to add weight, either). Thanks for the suggestion.

Well I thought it was a good idea...I sometimes wish my Yaris did weigh a little more. Now if it was a boat or plane that would be a different story.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:05 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
With the seat and carpet out, you should have them throw down some dynamat before they put it back together.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:18 AM   #14
petedub

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
My SRS light came on today. I called the dealership and they told me they would have to run a diagnostic test to see what the problem is. If they find the problem and it gets approved for repair under my warranty (I have 100,000 mile Platinum certied pre-owned) they will fix it for free. If the repair is not approved it will cost me 140$ for the diagnostic. Does this sound right? I was thinking about getting the diagnostic check done on my own and calling corporate to see if it will be approved. When asking the guy at the dealership if "airbags" were covered under the warranty he couldn't tell me yes or no, will I run into the same brick wall if I call corporate myself. It seems if I have the problem identified they should be able to tell me. Any thoughts on how to best approach this situation?
petedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:14 AM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by petedub View Post
My SRS light came on today. I called the dealership and they told me they would have to run a diagnostic test to see what the problem is. If they find the problem and it gets approved for repair under my warranty (I have 100,000 mile Platinum certied pre-owned) they will fix it for free. If the repair is not approved it will cost me 140$ for the diagnostic. Does this sound right? I was thinking about getting the diagnostic check done on my own and calling corporate to see if it will be approved. When asking the guy at the dealership if "airbags" were covered under the warranty he couldn't tell me yes or no, will I run into the same brick wall if I call corporate myself. It seems if I have the problem identified they should be able to tell me. Any thoughts on how to best approach this situation?
Check out the thread below for a simple method of finding out why the light is on. I would imagine though that whatever the cause, that it should be covered by your warranty.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...d=1#post557473
Old 03-24-2014, 01:57 AM   #16
petedub

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
thanks man, I appreciate the reply. wish me luck
petedub is offline   Reply With Quote