Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-26-2006, 08:58 AM   #1
OK Yaris

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Front End Alignment after Spring Install?

My plan for the new Yaris includes TRD lowering springs and a set of 15 inch Konig Helium wheels with stock tires(until they wear out). How many of you guys are having a front-end alignment done after installing lowering springs? Thanks, Mike
OK Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:01 AM   #2
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
None needed here. Few weeks, and over 1,000 miles later, the car still points straight, rides smooth, and the tires look brand new still... have the nub hairs to prove it!

Before anyone answer's with their opinion (come on so-called experts), crawl under your Yaris, and tell me EXACTLY what would be adjusted... Everyone's quick to compare it to, "my last car needed one...."
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:10 AM   #3
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
yeah, my allignment seams fine, but as soon as Highschool is back in session, i will take it into my old shop teacher and put it on the rack, and check it out :)
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:14 AM   #4
riceboy

Drives: icebox
I got a four wheel alignment done... it's something that you should get done because even if the car drives straight it doesn't mean that the camber, caster and toe are correct.. for the $80 bucks it cost me, i'd rather pay it instead of worrying about premature wear on my tires causing a need to replace them...
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:42 AM   #5
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceboy
I got a four wheel alignment done... it's something that you should get done because even if the car drives straight it doesn't mean that the camber, caster and toe are correct.. for the $80 bucks it cost me, i'd rather pay it instead of worrying about premature wear on my tires causing a need to replace them...
I'd like to know how your camber was adjusted on the front of your Yaris...
Old 08-26-2006, 02:04 PM   #6
OK Yaris

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB
None needed here. Few weeks, and over 1,000 miles later, the car still points straight, rides smooth, and the tires look brand new still... have the nub hairs to prove it!

Before anyone answer's with their opinion (come on so-called experts), crawl under your Yaris, and tell me EXACTLY what would be adjusted... Everyone's quick to compare it to, "my last car needed one...."
Exactly why I asked the question. You see, the last car I lowered was my highly modified '94 Mustang. I did not have an alignment done, the tires wore evenly and drove straight just like yours does(even at 150+ mph). My experience has been to stick with the factory alignment on a vehicle until the tires wear unevenly or steering is unusual, because the local "experts" may not always have the know-how.

On some cars with strut suspension, the lower mounting bolts for the struts are "cammed" to allow adjustment of the camber. For those of you have installed lowering springs or removed your struts, did you happen to notice if the bolts were round and fit snugly in the holes, or was there some play to allow adjustment? Also, some cars have adjustability at the upper strut mounting plate, but I see the Yaris has only one mounting nut. I'm sure a factory service manual might give me the answer, but I don't have one yet. Just bought the car last week (and really like it by the way). I did poke my head under the front end, and saw the adjustment for toe using the outer tie-rod ends, but no other adjustment (except maybe the lower strut bolts I mentioned above?) Thanks for the responses. Mike
OK Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 03:05 PM   #7
JustAnotherAsian
now in HD

Drives: not yaris!
Send a message via AIM to JustAnotherAsian
torsion beam rear suspension= no alignment needed no matter how low/high you go. if you get a four-wheel alignment done on a car with a torsion beam rear suspension, it's because you were fooled into it to pay extra for the 4-wheel alignment. the toe, camber, and caster stay the same throughout the whole travel of the suspension.

so in other words- you only need the front-end alignment- if at all.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:46 PM   #8
El Jefe

Drives: 07 yaris s sedan
after about 2000miles on my tanabe nf210's i did notice the fronts starting to feather on the outside, so i put the toe to 0 for the time being, i eventually got the stock specs and i'll adjust it to that when i get my hands on another alignment rack (just moved to a new shop without a rack...poop) but atleast for now i know it's not going to wear the tire. i would like to get some half degree camber bolts from toyota but it's not so far out that im going to worry about it.
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:46 PM   #9
SamDaYarisMan

Drives: meteorite liftback
I too was worried about camber issues. I have about 1,000 miles on my car after the drop and i havent noticed any abnormal tire wear. The thing that bothers me is that i dont understand how that is possible. The suspension arms travel at a pivot point, which would definately cause the tires to be at an angle once the suspepsion is lowered. My previous car was a 200sx and it had very similar suspension. The camber kit they sell for the 200sx replaces the bottoms strut bolt. It has a cam or lobe type thing on it that allows the wheel to somewhat swivel on the top bolt, adjusting camber. I dont know if it isnt noticeable yet, but i know for a fact that the tires arent sitting perfectly parallel to the ground after a drop on the yaris. I dropped the 200sx about 3" and i notice significant wear after a month. I think in the longrun we will all notice some inner tire wear from the negative camber.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:10 PM   #10
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK Yaris
Exactly why I asked the question. You see, the last car I lowered was my highly modified '94 Mustang. I did not have an alignment done, the tires wore evenly and drove straight just like yours does(even at 150+ mph). My experience has been to stick with the factory alignment on a vehicle until the tires wear unevenly or steering is unusual, because the local "experts" may not always have the know-how.

On some cars with strut suspension, the lower mounting bolts for the struts are "cammed" to allow adjustment of the camber. For those of you have installed lowering springs or removed your struts, did you happen to notice if the bolts were round and fit snugly in the holes, or was there some play to allow adjustment? Also, some cars have adjustability at the upper strut mounting plate, but I see the Yaris has only one mounting nut. I'm sure a factory service manual might give me the answer, but I don't have one yet. Just bought the car last week (and really like it by the way). I did poke my head under the front end, and saw the adjustment for toe using the outer tie-rod ends, but no other adjustment (except maybe the lower strut bolts I mentioned above?) Thanks for the responses. Mike
In my shop book, I do have all the factory set point specs for front and rear alighnment, if anyone needs them.

To answer your first questions, NO, the lower strut holes were straight holes.. not hogged out like say on an upper control arm, where you could swap a cam bolt kit in.

And yes, the 2007 Yaris changed the top strut mount to a single nut setup, from the 3 point setup.

I can go into more detail if needed, as its all listed in black and white in my book.

Sorry if you guys thought this was going to be a pissing match, I was just warning those that automatically think, "IT MUST BE ALIGHNED!"
Old 08-26-2006, 06:38 PM   #11
El Jefe

Drives: 07 yaris s sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB
To answer your first questions, NO, the lower strut holes were straight holes.. not hogged out like say on an upper control arm, where you could swap a cam bolt kit in.
toyota sells bolts that go in the lower hole that has a smaller diameter inbetween the head and where the threads start, you then push or pull the strut and tighten the bolts accordingly. all the part numbers for those bolts are in the service manual.

OK yaris = get the toe set after you put the springs in, and at that time you'll know if you need to adjust the camber.
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:46 PM   #12
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info El Jefe!

Mine was checked, and within all factory spec's, so nothing was needed, but good to know for when parts start to "wear" at a later date and things get a little outta spec.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:46 PM   #13
OxyG3nE

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Send a message via AIM to OxyG3nE Send a message via MSN to OxyG3nE
i went to the garage to do the alingment .. he said it was just a little adjustment to so.. but not too much
OxyG3nE is offline   Reply With Quote