Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-28-2006, 01:13 AM   #1
Rahxephon

Drives: Vitz RS
Cannot open the driver door when unlocking from the outside.

There's a problem w/ my Vitz. This morning I unlocked the door using the remote. However, the driver door wouldn't open. I got inside my car using one of the back doors. The driver door lock was in an unlocked position; I could see the orange mark on it. I was able to open the driver door from the inside.

I thought the problem was temporary. However, it happened again after I got off work this evening. I still couldn't open the driver door (from the outside), even when the orange unlock mark is shown (inside).

I can still open the driver door from the outside, if the door is unlocked and then opened from the inside FIRST - then closed without (re)locking it. If the door is unlocked from the outside, without opening from the inside first, it won't open - even when the door orange unlock mark is visible. I hope this is not too confusing.

Any suggestions? Can I fix this myself? Will this be covered under a warranty? Thanks in advance.
Rahxephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 01:35 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
sounds like something mechanical is broken there, off to the dealer you better go... Or you could open up the door and take a look at it yourself!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 01:37 AM   #3
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
take the car in immediately, and just reproduce the problem for the technicians. i truly believe that cars are living beings, in that they absolutely KNOW when they are being taken in for warranty service. the moment you get your car into the dealership, whatever problem you had will no longer exist, just in time for the technicians to inspect it. and the moment you get your car in your driveway, the problem will manifest itself once again. if its still happening, take it in. hopefully your car will be obedient and show the problem to the toyota techs...

--B
Old 11-28-2006, 03:38 AM   #4
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo
sounds like something mechanical is broken there, off to the dealer you better go... Or you could open up the door and take a look at it yourself!
yep!

its normally not a big thing to fix, yank off the panel and have a look,should show ya whats up.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:25 PM   #5
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
hmm.. dude!! try unlocking the car with the KEY first?? don't use the keyless entry see what happens.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:40 PM   #6
Rahxephon

Thanks all. The problem still existed this morning. However, it just went away on its own this evening. Hopefully, it doesn't come back. If it's still OK by tomorrow evening, I'll have to cancel the appointment I made w/ my local Toyota dealer. They said it's covered under the warranty, BTW.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:43 PM   #7
Rahxephon

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX
hmm.. dude!! try unlocking the car with the KEY first?? don't use the keyless entry see what happens.
I did that and it didn't work either. You see, either opening w/ the remote or w/ the key, the red unlocked mark was displayed. The problem was that I couldn't open the door when it was unlocked from the outside. I had to open it from the inside by entering the car through the other doors.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:40 AM   #8
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
I'd still let Toyota look at it. Mechanical problem don't usually heal themselves so you might as well have it repaired while it's still under warranty rather than have it fail later.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:55 AM   #9
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
the yaris is made so that you can ALWAYS open the door from the inside. lock or unlocked.

if it's locked, openning the door from the inside automatically unlocks the door.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:13 AM   #10
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX
the yaris is made so that you can ALWAYS open the door from the inside. lock or unlocked.

if it's locked, openning the door from the inside automatically unlocks the door.
Not with mine but maybe it's a different system here with power doors...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:18 AM   #11
Rahxephon

Thanks Violin. I might have that checked out when I take my Vitz for an oil change in January.