Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Squeaky Clutch Pedal?

I tried doing a search under "squeaky clutch pedal" and "clutch pedal squeak," but I didn't get any hits (one thread, but wasn't really helpful). I just noticed today that when ever I pressed down and release my clutch pedal, it makes a squeaky sound. The squeak comes at the point when the clutch is fully pressed down on (depressed) and right after the start of coming back up. It does not squeak at any other point. I also have a squeak that sounds like it's coming from the shifter from 1st to 2nd (had this squeak for a while now).

Other info:
-No shift mods
-car was left outside over night and in the morning in very cold weather (rain, but no snow)
-a little over 60k miles
-bought the car new back in Oct, 2006

Is (are) this a simple fix? Simple, lube ____ and the squeak will go away? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by Kaotic Lazagna; 12-18-2010 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Better description
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:40 PM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
lube the clutch fork arm under the little rubber boot on the front of the transmission

itll go away for about a month...
Old 12-18-2010, 01:40 AM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

What kind of lube should I use?
Old 12-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
ryota
Dry Bones

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to ryota
i had the squeak shifting from 1st to 2nd. there is a post to fix that, but i can't seem to find it right now. there are a couple linkages for the shifter just right of the engine block and under a couple tubes. i just sprayed mine with some thunder bolt and worked it in... the squeak has been gone since summer now.

sorry about the crappy description of where it is. i'll look again later for the picture i used
Old 12-18-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
ricepower

Drives: Yaris Y Sedan
Send a message via MSN to ricepower Send a message via Yahoo to ricepower
Lightbulb

Either your clutch release bearing is out of lube or dirty. Or the linkages are out of lube. I suggest you take out the rubber boot and have it spray with lithium grease as thebarber said.

Chk also this post:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...11&postcount=1

I used this lithium grease spray

Spray the yellow area as mentioned in this post:

Also put a small amount of oil(gear oil) + grease inside the linkage rubber boot. This will help smooth shifting :)

Last edited by ricepower; 12-18-2010 at 11:17 PM. Reason: added images and links
ricepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:37 AM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

Sweet! Thanks, I'll check out Walmart or Autozone for that lithium grease. It'll be raining for the next week or so here, so I won't be able to get around to this until then. I might replace my battery at the same time as I think it's getting weak (sometimes hard to start the car when it's cold). Thanks again.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:32 AM   #7
spookybathtub

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
@ricepower where is that photo taken? Is it in the cabin near the pedals, or under the hood?
spookybathtub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:14 AM   #8
Vinceb

Drives: 2008 5 Speed Sedan
I had a similar problem this morning, it was about -7 (though the car was warmed up) and I noticed in the drive thru that whenever I press in the clutch it squeaks. It doesn't make noise for shifting gears. will try the grease and see if it fixes it.
Vinceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:51 AM   #9
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
+1, i went to toyota with this issue (actually they were listenning for another noise and they found and fixed this issue) and all they did was lube it and its been good for at least 6 months now.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #10
Vinceb

I lubed the part circled in your earlier photo, but still squeaked, I ended up removing the rubber boot and lubing inside of it on this pic, no more noise. thanks for the direction guys.

I used fluid film for the lube.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg linkage.jpg (122.7 KB, 794 views)
Old 04-19-2011, 07:08 AM   #11
EjDaPogi

Drives: 2008 Yaris Fleet (SilverWings)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceb View Post
I lubed the part circled in your earlier photo, but still squeaked, I ended up removing the rubber boot and lubing inside of it on this pic, no more noise. thanks for the direction guys.

I used fluid film for the lube.
@Vinceb, how did you remove/reinstall the rubber boot? do you have to lift the car? regards.
EjDaPogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #12
Vinceb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EjDaPogi View Post
@Vinceb, how did you remove/reinstall the rubber boot? do you have to lift the car? regards.
sorry, shouldn't have said 'removed' I just pulled the boot back, and stuck the hose from the spray can inside the boot and sprayed it. The picture is taken from the top of the engine bay looking down. you can get to this part of the clutch system either from the top or by simply crawling under the front of the car, it's wide open (mind you I have a sedan and not a hatchback). if you wanted more space, get a set of ramps, but it's pretty much at the bottom of the engine bay.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:21 AM   #13
EjDaPogi

Drives: 2008 Yaris Fleet (SilverWings)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceb View Post
sorry, shouldn't have said 'removed' I just pulled the boot back, and stuck the hose from the spray can inside the boot and sprayed it. The picture is taken from the top of the engine bay looking down. you can get to this part of the clutch system either from the top or by simply crawling under the front of the car, it's wide open (mind you I have a sedan and not a hatchback). if you wanted more space, get a set of ramps, but it's pretty much at the bottom of the engine bay.
@vinceb, thank you very much!
EjDaPogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:28 AM   #14
Kaotic Lazagna

I still haven't gotten around to fixing this squeak. hahaha. I'll get around to it in the summer. hahaha. Good info, guys.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #15
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
just did this again for the hell of it......
Old 05-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #16
YANNA07

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
I tried doing a search under "squeaky clutch pedal" and "clutch pedal squeak," but I didn't get any hits (one thread, but wasn't really helpful). I just noticed today that when ever I pressed down and release my clutch pedal, it makes a squeaky sound. The squeak comes at the point when the clutch is fully pressed down on (depressed) and right after the start of coming back up. It does not squeak at any other point. I also have a squeak that sounds like it's coming from the shifter from 1st to 2nd (had this squeak for a while now).

Other info:
-No shift mods
-car was left outside over night and in the morning in very cold weather (rain, but no snow)
-a little over 60k miles
-bought the car new back in Oct, 2006

Is (are) this a simple fix? Simple, lube ____ and the squeak will go away? Any help is appreciated, thanks.
I had a Honda CRX with a squeaky clutch pedal. The pedal bracket was made of aluminium and the squeak was the bracket bending. The bracket eventually broke.
YANNA07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:13 AM   #17
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
it is the clutch fork in the picture,same exact thing happens to 1st gen xBs and took us forever to find it...the heat dries out the grease and it starts to squeak....lube it and it will stop,also the pivot point where the fork attaches in the case is also a squeek point,if you ever have clutch replaced make sure to have fork joint lubed in case as well,you can kinda spray it from the boot location but it is hit or miss.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #18
Kaotic Lazagna

I think I sprayed every moving piece for the clutch in the engine bay. It's still squeaking. Doesn't sound like it's from the inside either. WTF?