Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #91
adeen

Drives: 08 Toyota Vios
ok thx a bunch...
adeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #92
adeen

CTScott...what does pin 1 / pin 2 at the A24 Connector actually do? Does it trigger 12V when the fog light is on ?
Old 10-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #93
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by adeen View Post
CTScott...what does pin 1 / pin 2 at the A24 Connector actually do? Does it trigger 12V when the fog light is on ?
On the US market Yaris Pin 1 and 2 get fed 12V by the foglight relay when the switch is on.

On your car, that connector has a different designation than A24. I was thinking it was the same as the Japanese market Yaris, but seeing the three red wires in the position they are in, I now think your wiring is different than US and different than Japanese. I think you should measure the voltage on the pins the the locations of the 3 red wires with the fog light relay triggered on your car. I think you will find that either two of them (the two wires for the two front fog lights) or all three (which would also include the third wire for the rear fog light) will have 12 v on them.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #94
adeen

i've measured the green wires on the connector which gave out 0.04v when the headlights were turned on and 0v when it was off....
i've also measured the voltage on the three pins where the red wires are, and unfortunately no voltage on them...
seems like i need to work harder to get the fogs to light up....thnx for the input CTScott..
ill try opening up the fuse block and c what's underneath...
Old 10-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #95
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeen View Post
i've measured the green wires on the connector which gave out 0.04v when the headlights were turned on and 0v when it was off....
i've also measured the voltage on the three pins where the red wires are, and unfortunately no voltage on them...
seems like i need to work harder to get the fogs to light up....thnx for the input CTScott..
ill try opening up the fuse block and c what's underneath...
OK. I would start from the other end (the wires leaving the fog light relay socket). The reds probably dead end at one of the junction connectors under the top of the dash.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #96
adeen

ok....i'll get to it as soon as i've got time to spare....i'll update any progress...
Old 10-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #97
adeen

i had my wire go through the firewall and connected it directly to the #3 pin of the foglight relay. works like a charm...thnx CTScott
Old 02-03-2014, 10:30 AM   #98
bairjo

For what it is worth, I threw together a video of my fog light install using the OEM light stalk. Hope I didn't leave anything out. It moves along rather fast at the beginning as I needed to keep it under 15 minutes for YouTube. Thanks go out as usual to CTScott for his in depth contributions on this mod as well as others he has come up with. Hope the link works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bilhPerqVEo
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #99
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Bairjo, you knocked it out the park, man! Fantastic job and even the music is good here!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #100
bairjo

Thanks Mike...I never know how well received some of my videos will be. Hope it helps others out when they do thier install....thanks again.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:09 PM   #101
auxmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
Thanks Mike...I never know how well received some of my videos will be. Hope it helps others out when they do thier install....thanks again.
I priced the stalk at 95USD. Does that sound right?

Old 02-03-2014, 06:42 PM   #102
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
I priced the stalk at 95USD. Does that sound right?
$91 is about the cheapest I have seen the OEM stalk go for. On all of mine, I used an illuminated switch that I mounted to the dash. It is the same one as well that is included in the Micro Image kit. If you want to save some money, I can ship you one for $10.

By the way, Bairjo, nice job with the video!
Old 02-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #103
auxmike

That's nice. Can you PM me paypal info? I'd like one..

Old 02-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #104
auxmike

Also, can you tell me how I'd get it to light up? My current switch is between the seats but I can't figure out how the heck to get the light to work. The best I got was the light being constantly on ...

Old 02-03-2014, 07:43 PM   #105
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
Also, can you tell me how I'd get it to light up? My current switch is between the seats but I can't figure out how the heck to get the light to work. The best I got was the light being constantly on ...
The problem with the one that comes with the aftermarket kits is that the switching and illumination are tied together. To use the switch with the OEM wiring you have to separate the two by snipping one of the resistors off the circuit board within the switch.

The one that I use has separate wiring for switching and illumination, so you will have to connect 4 wires to hook it up. Two go to two wires on the headlight switch connector and the other two to two wires on the connector for the dimmer rheostat.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:23 PM   #106
bairjo

Well I was trying to upload photo copies of the directions out of the Toyota shop manual on how to properly adjust the fog lights but failed due to a "missing security token" whatever that means. Anyhow, I have not seen anything on the topic of adjustment. I'm having a little difficulty dialing one in to the proper height. Anyone care to share how you did your fog light adjustment and how did it go? By the way, my light stalk was $87 + 10 shipping. That arrangement CTScott has looks real slick....much better than the switch between the seats set-up. I had my switch between the seats on my 08 and really didn't care for it.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:37 PM   #107
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
Well I was trying to upload photo copies of the directions out of the Toyota shop manual on how to properly adjust the fog lights but failed due to a "missing security token" whatever that means. Anyhow, I have not seen anything on the topic of adjustment. I'm having a little difficulty dialing one in to the proper height. Anyone care to share how you did your fog light adjustment and how did it go? By the way, my light stalk was $87 + 10 shipping. That arrangement CTScott has looks real slick....much better than the switch between the seats set-up. I had my switch between the seats on my 08 and really didn't care for it.
With the foglights that have the adjustment mechanism that points down towards the ground, you stick a phillips screwdriver up in there and tighten to raise, and loosen to lower. I cranked mine way down to where the light patten starts right where I can see past the hood.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:52 PM   #108
bairjo

Thank you. That sounds a heck of a lot easier than how Toyota spells it out. I have measured out lines taped on the wall trying to hit the mark...I'll go with the CTScott plan!