Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-05-2016, 05:06 PM   #1
Inteltech

Drives: Toyota Yaris gs mk1 x reg
Toyota Yaris gs mk1 x reg won't start

Hey all i was wondering if anyone could please help. I have the above car which won't start. When you turn the key it cranks and sounds like it wants to start but won't. Checked all the usual fuel, battery, connections and still won't start. Battery isn't that old in fact less than a year old coming upto a year. I am thinking of scrapping if I can't get it going again. Was working albeit a bit sluggish and throaty until one. Ugh the I was driving and it lost power and started to die until I stopped and engine stalled and won't start back over. I changed the cam shaft sensor to a different one I had spare in the boot and it sounded a bit better but still refused to start. Garage has said it's the ecu but I aren't sure had other people look and say different things. I will try and get a video or sound file of what it sounds like at the moment tomorrow and try and upload somehow. Thank you for taking the time to read and any help you can give is much appreciated
Inteltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:53 AM   #2
jra

Drives: 2015 yaris L
remove a plug wire-coil and see if it's getting spark, if not and you know your cam sensor is good, it could be the crank sensor? If it's getting spark, check fuel pressure, you can be getting fuel with very little pressure, needs to have enough pressure for injectors to atomize fuel. If fuel pressure is good, put test light on a injector wire and crank engine, light should flash on and off, if not injectors aren't working, could be bad relay bad ground someplace or the ECM. may also want to check mas air flow sensor sensor, maybe give it a good cleaning, but be careful, they are very delicate.
jra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:36 PM   #3
Inteltech

Thank you for your reply. What would you recommend to clean the maf sensor? Also I have never removed the sparks plugs in this car so don't have a removal tool what size socket is needed. A garage thinks it is the ecu under the dash where the glove box is. Also how would I perform a pressure test for the fuel? Thank you again for the advice.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:19 AM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
what year is it?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:08 PM   #5
Inteltech

It's an x reg 2000
Old 11-10-2016, 08:09 PM   #6
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

What's an "x reg"?
Old 11-11-2016, 03:52 AM   #7
Inteltech

The registration of the car is X247ycu which makes it a 2000 model
Old 11-11-2016, 08:50 AM   #8
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Spark plugs are a standard 5/8 socket, or 16mm if you can't get one. Fuel pressure can only be tested with an in line gauge installed where the fuel rail connects to the flexible line under the hood.

Why does the garage think it is the computer?
Old 11-11-2016, 09:06 AM   #9
Inteltech

They think it's computer cause they couldn't get any codes from the obd2 port and apparently there's no lights on the dash when you try and start it but yet the dash comes on as normal. The check engine light is on but again I have tried reading codes and nothing there.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:16 AM   #10
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Double check the grounds are clean on the side of the head by the air box. That is where the computer ground to. If they are corroded it can cause the computer problems.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:44 PM   #11
Inteltech

Thanks I didn't know that I will check tomorrow and report back any news.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:31 AM   #12
Inteltech

I will try and get a picture uploaded later but I have just took all the ignition coils out and going from drivers side to passenger the one closest to the left has brown on it and also the hole where it goes is brown too the same as the one next to it then the two on the right don't have any brown in the holes or on the coils.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:54 AM   #13
Inteltech

Finally today managed to take the spark plugs out. The 2 on the drivers side which the holes have quite a bit of browning have a dark brown/black band running around the ceramic part and the threads are dark and the electrode is dark as well gap looks fine though. The 2 on the passenger side have a thin light brown ring going round the ceramic part and the threads and electrode are again dark in colour but not as dark. Out of curiosity I swapped the plugs over so the passenger ones are now the drivers side and same with the ignition coils. The plugs have quite a strong oily and petrol smell to them.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:12 AM   #14
KimmoKekki

Drives: Yaris T-Sport
Did it fired up ?
KimmoKekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:28 PM   #15
Inteltech

No in fact it sounded worse and hardly tried to start this time
Old 12-30-2016, 06:07 PM   #16
Inteltech

Well had a friend have a look at the car today which still won't start. Even tried swapping spark plugs with his new ones out of his Peugeot 106 plugs fitted fine but car still wouldn't start however he noticed that both mine and his sparks plugs after being removed had fuel on them which he said isn't normal they are usually dry which I noticed when he took his out of his car. He thinks the engine might be flooded anyone any ideas how to check this and solve it.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:15 PM   #17
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Change the oil. You'll probably need to put a small amount of oil down the spark plug holes now if it's flooded really bad. A really badly flooded engine can actually start pushing fuel past the rings washing the cylinder bores and contaminating the oil.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:50 AM   #18
Inteltech

So do I have to do a full oil change and filter change? Or are you saying put a little oil in each spark plug hole then put spark plugs back in and try again?