Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
ammophobia

Drives: 2007 Vios (Yaris Sedan)
Gargling noise when RPM drops...

I'm driving a 2007 sedan. I've been having this problem for a while. When releasing the gas pedal while depressing the clutch pedal (so the RPM drops, for example after a short backward/forward motion when parking the car), a gargling noise can be heard (but it's dry so maybe it's not exactly gargling, more like quick, rapid rattling) from inside the cabin, around the center or right-side dash I think, and the noise stops when the engine reaches the idle RPM.

I brought it to the dealership and they couldn't find the source of the noise, and when they tested out another sedan which happens to be on its periodical maintenance, they said it also occurs on that sedan so they assume that it's normal.

I'm extremely dissatisfied by their response. It's pretty annoying because intermittently it will turn from a light gargle to a pretty loud one. Is anyone here experiencing the same thing?

Thanks.
ammophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammophobia View Post
from inside the cabin, around the center or right-side dash I think
If its a rattle, I think its this TSB -

http://www.etimago.com/yaris/TSB/T-S...%20Rattle).pdf

I'm pretty sure I have that rattle, and its definitely a rattling noise(plastic on plastic vibration), not a gargling. The location made me think of it though.

If its not that, the only thing I could think of that would make a gargling inside the cabin is the A/C. I don't know if it is the same problem the user is experiencing in this thread, but you might try clearing the condensate line, like CTscott recommended -

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ight=rainstick
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
ammophobia

Thanks supmet. But I don't think it's that rattle you mentioned because it's triggered by RPM drop (it also happens when the car's not moving, if I press the gas pedal lightly and release it after reaching about 2k RPM), not by driving vibration. I also don't think that it's the A/C because I don't see any leak and the gargle/rattle also happens when the A/C is off.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
There have been threads on a vibration from the engine. I think it's a harmonic vibration from the engine at about 2000 RPM.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
ammophobia

Thanks yaris-me. But after searching the forum, I found that the harmonic vibration symptoms you mentioned is a 'vibration', where you can actually feel the cabin vibrating, while in my case, I can only hear the gargle/rattle but I don't feel any vibration on the car.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #6
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
cool, let me try that tomorrow..

but i don't see a reason to rev up so high while the clutch is PRESSED. ?

edit: i think i know what you mean.. or that i miss read something.
I think mine does the same thing, but only when the car is VERY warmed up. It's a noise that seems to come from the transmission. It doesn't happen while on the move. Only when i'm almost stop, or on start. it will not happen when stand still. Kinda sounds like the grudge right?
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:19 PM   #7
ammophobia

Hi IllusionX. I'm not revving up high, it happens after I make a small forward/backward motion, thus requiring me to release the gas pedal and press the clutch to make a stop. Yes it doesn't happen while on the move, but it happens when on standstill and I press the gas pedal slightly then quickly release it (thus letting the car reach 2k RPM then dropping to idle RPM). For me it sounds like a dry gargling (gargling noise with no water involved).

Thanks IllusionX.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I haven't noticed the sound for a while already.. It won't be before a while i drive for a long period of time.

As i said, it doesn't do it when it's not fully well warmed up. I also cannot remember if i tried to rev up and letting it drop to idle before.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:43 AM   #9
IvanG

Drives: Yaris 1.0 `02 year
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
I haven't noticed the sound for a while already.. It won't be before a while i drive for a long period of time.

As i said, it doesn't do it when it's not fully well warmed up. I also cannot remember if i tried to rev up and letting it drop to idle before.
Hi illusionX, i have the similar noise, after gets warm, driving for while, some kind of strange knocking apears......are we talking about the same problem?
IvanG is offline   Reply With Quote