Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-22-2018, 09:19 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Medical advice from Bronsin!

I got kidney stones in August 2009. I walked into the kitchen early Saturday morning and suddenly had stabbing pain in my back and began throwing up from both ends! I ran to the bathroom making a mess all the way and sat on the toilet while throwing up into a garbage can. I could not BELIEVE I could throw up with that pain but you get used to it.

I didn’t know what the hell was going on but I’ve had serious back pain before from a torn muscle and mistakenly thought it was that. I ran a bathtub full of hot water as hot as I could stand it and got in. Miraculously 90% of the pain went away for for five hours. So then I did it again and repeated that for a week until I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with kidney stones.

My advice if you get kidney stones and are in agony get in a hot bathtub as hard as you can stand it. After the water cools, draining out and filling it again maybe a couple of times will reduce the pain dramatically.

At least it did for me!

If you try this let me know what happens!
Old 01-22-2018, 12:29 PM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Very interesting. My dad passed a stone a few years back and I have a buddy that is around my age (mid thirties) and gets them regularly. I'll def pass the info on.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:20 PM   #3
Whiplash

Drives: 2009 Yaris 4DR
This scares me.
Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:55 PM   #4
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
To help prevent kidney stones, remember to drink enough water throughout the day.

"Water dilutes the salts and minerals in your urine that form the solid crystals known as kidney stones. Kidney stones can't form in diluted urine, so reduce your risk with plenty of water."
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:08 AM   #5
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
To help prevent kidney stones, remember to drink enough water throughout the day.

"Water dilutes the salts and minerals in your urine that form the solid crystals known as kidney stones. Kidney stones can't form in diluted urine, so reduce your risk with plenty of water."
Although I do believe there is something to that, I've also read about how stones may simply be genetic/hereditary.

Although a different species, my dog can only eat a urinary formula food that keeps her pH in balance. If she eats normal dog food, her urine crystallizes and forms bladder stones leading to UT infections. We went through a bit of hell in her first year with us trying to find the cause of her persistent UT infection.

My buddy, who I mentioned prior, was also told that he has the propensity to develop stones. If I remember correctly, he doesn't drink soda and drinks plenty of water, but still develops them fairly frequently.

I get the impression that, as with many things in life, sometimes stones are just a bad roll of the dice.

On Wheelwell
Old 01-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #6
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Definitely a genetic component to it but it's not that black and white. Phenotype trumps genotype every time. In other words diet plays a large role and will have a great effect on kidney stones whether genetic or not.

And no eating greens with oxalates will not lead to more stone formation (save for the extreme circumstance) I've yet to have a patient who eats a diet high in whole foods with a ton of fruits and vegetables develop kidney stones. The make up of all kidney stones are not always the same

Bronsin hope it passed and all is well, from what I've heard the pain is apparently worse than childbirth and no wouldn't wish it on anyone
Old 01-23-2018, 03:17 PM   #7
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Definitely a genetic component to it but it's not that black and white. Phenotype trumps genotype every time. In other words diet plays a large role and will have a great effect on kidney stones whether genetic or not.

And no eating greens with oxalates will not lead to more stone formation (save for the extreme circumstance) I've yet to have a patient who eats a diet high in whole foods with a ton of fruits and vegetables develop kidney stones. The make up of all kidney stones are not always the same

Bronsin hope it passed and all is well, from what I've heard the pain is apparently worse than childbirth and no wouldn't wish it on anyone
Interesting; thanks. If I may ask, since you mentioned having patients, what do you do?

On Wheelwell
Old 01-23-2018, 03:23 PM   #8
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Analysis said my stones were from uric acid. Probably because I eat a lot of meat and not much in the way of veggies. Drinking more than 2 liters of water a day actually caused stone fragments to make it into the bladder without causing any pain. I just pissed the fragments out without incident.

I think the stone formation was set in motion by a X country bicycle trip. It was HOT and although I was drinking a liter of water an hour I noticed I wasnt urinating after five days! It was all turned into sweat. When I DID finally urinate it came out BLACK! I thought...kidney stones here I come!

After an ultrasound they say I have a 3cm calc (stone) in each kidney. There they have stayed for ten years without getting bigger...

After kidney stones you get to see a urologist and I had a conplete exam after which he said I might have testicle cancer. Turned out to be cysts. But to find out I had another ultrasound where a beautiful woman slathered my testicles with KY jelly and wanded each testicle for half and hour. And then I ....
Old 01-23-2018, 03:32 PM   #9
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Interesting; thanks. If I may ask, since you mentioned having patients, what do you do?
Naturopathic medical intern at a hospital outpatient clinic completing my graduate degree. My background is in Kinesiology and my focus over the 5 years has been medical research specific to nutrition and informed consent in patient treatment.

Wrenching cars is my escape and mental break
Old 01-23-2018, 07:00 PM   #10
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Although a different species, my dog can only eat a urinary formula food that keeps her pH in balance. If she eats normal dog food, her urine crystallizes and forms bladder stones leading to UT infections. We went through a bit of hell in her first year with us trying to find the cause of her persistent UT infection.
My cat turned 18 in November of 2017, and she had started getting recurring UTI at age 13-14. At 14, I started giving her a 1/4 cup daily serving of my morning Trader Joe's organic grass-fed non-homogenized (cream top) cultured plain yogurt (omg, she loves that stuff, lol), and started mixing in a bit of warm cold-pressed, virgin coconut oil to her daily dry (non-grain) food serving (which also makes her want to eat it all every day, unlike before). Beyond that, she also has a daily serving of quality-ingredient wet poultry/fish food every evening. Not only did all her UTI issues just go away and not return when I started that daily diet routine, her coat became nicer/softer and she picked back up some healthy weight again (putting her back to how she was back in her younger adult days before aging made her start to lose weight gradually). She definitely acts & looks like a cat half her age.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:24 PM   #11
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Analysis said my stones were from uric acid. Probably because I eat a lot of meat and not much in the way of veggies. Drinking more than 2 liters of water a day actually caused stone fragments to make it into the bladder without causing any pain. I just pissed the fragments out without incident.

I think the stone formation was set in motion by a X country bicycle trip. It was HOT and although I was drinking a liter of water an hour I noticed I wasnt urinating after five days! It was all turned into sweat. When I DID finally urinate it came out BLACK! I thought...kidney stones here I come!

After an ultrasound they say I have a 3cm calc (stone) in each kidney. There they have stayed for ten years without getting bigger...

After kidney stones you get to see a urologist and I had a conplete exam after which he said I might have testicle cancer. Turned out to be cysts. But to find out I had another ultrasound where a beautiful woman slathered my testicles with KY jelly and wanded each testicle for half and hour. And then I ....
Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Naturopathic medical intern at a hospital outpatient clinic completing my graduate degree. My background is in Kinesiology and my focus over the 5 years has been medical research specific to nutrition and informed consent in patient treatment.

Wrenching cars is my escape and mental break
Very cool. Would love to chat about keto, nutrition, etc. over a beer one day. I'll ping you if I ever make it up your way. We sometimes attend events in Canada, I just usually never go myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
My cat turned 18 in November of 2017, and she had started getting recurring UTI at age 13-14. At 14, I started giving her a 1/4 cup daily serving of my morning Trader Joe's organic grass-fed non-homogenized (cream top) cultured plain yogurt (omg, she loves that stuff, lol), and started mixing in a bit of warm cold-pressed, virgin coconut oil to her daily dry (non-grain) food serving (which also makes her want to eat it all every day, unlike before). Beyond that, she also has a daily serving of quality-ingredient wet poultry/fish food every evening. Not only did all her UTI issues just go away and not return when I started that daily diet routine, her coat became nicer/softer and she picked back up some healthy weight again (putting her back to how she was back in her younger adult days before aging made her start to lose weight gradually). She definitely acts & looks like a cat half her age.
Very interesting; I've often wondered what the impact of a proper, clean diet would be on our little, Cleo. I'll share this info with my better half, but if we were to adopt a routine similar to something like this, we'd be feeding our dog better than ourselves LOL!

On Wheelwell
Old 01-25-2018, 02:07 PM   #12
tmontague

Very cool. Would love to chat about keto, nutrition, etc. over a beer one day. I'll ping you if I ever make it up your way. We sometimes attend events in Canada, I just usually never go myself.

for sure, let me know whenever you're in my neck of the woods
Old 01-25-2018, 09:17 PM   #13
ABSPLASTIC

Drives: Twin-charged rotary V8 w/nos
I've also heard a few reviews from some of my patients that drinking parsley water has helped to dissolve some stones.
ABSPLASTIC is offline   Reply With Quote