Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-16-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
1saneguy

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Angry Brake problem

Hi everyone:

My Yaris is 2nd-hand, so not sure what happened in its previous lifetime.

I have a problem with the rear-passenger brake: occasionally, it catches stronger than the rest, to the point that the wheel locks. It happens when I first pull out of the garage in the morning or when I drive through rain and/or snow. Caveat: it is not consistent - it does not happen every morning, it does not happen each time I drive through cold & wet weather.

This is what I know & tried so far:
- I don't use the hand brake at all
- my mechanic replaced the brake cylinder, which did not resolve the problem
- I experience the same behavior with a rented Corolla a while back.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? If so - what was the cause & the solution?

Your feedback will be highly appreciated.

Thanks for help.
1saneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Do you have ABS?

ABS is more prone to locking up in slippery conditions

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:29 PM   #3
Jack Reacher

Drives: 08 Yaris sdn
Look to see if the little rubber cover for the brake adjuster slot is in place.
My guess is that your getting moisture between the brake shoe and drum and it's "rusting" together overnight causing your wheel to lock until you break the fused drum from the shoes.
Jack Reacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:11 AM   #4
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k r a y z e e . j o j o View Post
Do you have ABS?

ABS is more prone to locking up in slippery conditions
I think you got that flipped.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:21 AM   #5
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Maybe the drums aren't adjusted properly. Take it to a garage and get your brakes checked. Better to be safe than sorry, espically with brakes.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:02 AM   #6
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
Try backing up for a long distance, stopping every little bit to get the brakes to adjust properly. Maybe even get it up to 20 or so in reverse then getting on the brakes pretty good. It used to work for older cars with drum brakes after you installed new rotors and what not. Just a thought. Can't hurt to try it, right? And do it in an empty parking lot, just to be safe.
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:10 AM   #7
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saneguy View Post
Hi everyone:

I have a problem with the rear-passenger brake: occasionally, it catches stronger than the rest, to the point that the wheel locks. It happens when I first pull out of the garage in the morning or when I drive through rain and/or snow. Caveat: it is not consistent - it does not happen every morning, it does not happen each time I drive through cold & wet weather.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? If so - what was the cause & the solution?

Thanks for help.
We bought our Yaris brand new and have taken great care of it, so hopefully that lets you know this behaviour isn't necessarily caused by abuse of the vehicle.

I have had this exact issue twice over a 1 year period.

The first time I didn't understand what was going on and I stupidly destroyed my passenger rear tire as the wheel remained locked for maybe 100 feet. I was driving slowly in an underground garage and didn't clue in on what was happening until it was too late.

The second time it only stay locked for a second.

Toyota has looked at it and says they can't see anything wrong. I asked my Dad to ask the mechanics at the Toyota dealership he works at and they said this would only happen if the brakes were set too tight.

All I know is I'm worried about it happening like it did the first time when it locked for a hundred feet or so until it let go and made a large metallic sound like when a rusty old spring is released of something.

If you find out what's causing your problem, let me know and I'll do the same.

Interesting suggestion about backing up. My Dad suggested if it happened again, to go into R and back up a bit to see if that fixes it.

I always use the parking brake when I park. That's the first thing all 3 people I asked about this issue said. Make sure you use the parking brake when you park. Maybe if you used the parking brake this wouldn't happen as much?
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:09 AM   #8
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
my 07 non ABS hatch experiences the same "problem with the rear-passenger brake: occasionally, it catches stronger than the rest" ive shit my pants a couple of times now under heavy braking cause the ass end of the car felt like it was gonna slide out of control. ive had the rears tightened up as well as ebrake but problem still exists. til now ive chalked it up to the lack of ABS....

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:05 AM   #9
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLAND TOYOTA View Post
my 07 non ABS hatch experiences the same "problem with the rear-passenger brake: occasionally, it catches stronger than the rest" ive shit my pants a couple of times now under heavy braking cause the ass end of the car felt like it was gonna slide out of control. ive had the rears tightened up as well as ebrake but problem still exists. til now ive chalked it up to the lack of ABS....
Hmm, interesting as I have ABS and so does the OP.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #10
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
I am sensing a recall here. Maybe everyone should go to the dealership and let them know. You know, fill out a formal complaint and all of that. And we should all do it in the same month or two, so they will HAVE to make a fix for it. I think it's something as small as 20% of the cars have the same problem, they do a recall to fix or replace that part. I suggest if you EVER had that problem, you join in and do a complaint, so we can get the numbers up. I am not suggesting anyone lie about it, but if you have experienced it even once, then help get this problem fixed before someone on here gets seriously hurt, or worse. Anyone else feel the same? I know I would hate if it was me who it happened to and it made my car go under a semi or something just as bad. All in favor of going to the dealership, start your post with "Yes to forcing a recall".
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:41 PM   #11
1saneguy

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Hello again from the original poster:

Sorry, forgot to mention: I do have ABS.

I just wonder why this is not consistent. I thought it would happen each morning, but it does not. Then I thought perhaps something gets chilled there each time I drive in the rain or snow, - but that was not true, either. Sometimes it happens after a long stretch in a rainy highway, sometimes it happens 300 feet after a "regular" braking. But it does seem to have some sort of connection with cold & moisture.

And then the same issue with the rental Corolla.

By the way: the other posters who have the same problem - is it always rear-passenger brake with all of you?

Regarding recall: has anyone had a chance to look up that book Lemon Aid? They list secret recalls per make/model.

"Yes" to a recall for sure - I spent $200 to have the cylinder replaced and it did not help. Will try the backing up part tonight when leaving work.

Meanwhile, if anyone has experienced this and can provide a solution, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saneguy View Post
Hi everyone:

Thanks for help.
1saneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:09 PM   #12
yarisworld

Drives: 2008 yaris hatchback
for the people without abs, couldn't you switch out the drum brakes and make them rotors?

I know i saw a thread about switching out drums for rotors.
yarisworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:38 AM   #13
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
I think you got that flipped.
Not if he brakes like I do

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:55 PM   #14
zyovka

Drives: yaris sedan 07 BLACK
I have the same problem with my xA... I go it with 27 grands on the odometer. It seemed fine for a first 2 or 3 thousand miles and then I started noticing this annoying sound coming somewhere from the rear brakes, early in the morning, especially when it was rainy or wet outside, this sound somehow disappeared after driving for the first mile or so. And again, it was not consistent. I thought I need a brake job, but come on, to change pads when the car doesn't even have 30 thousand miles on it. After reading this thread I realized, all of a sudden, that I didn't hear this grinding sound for a while and it seems to me it has really something to do with backing up every morning, as I had built a new drive way and I have to drive backward every morning. I wonder what's the reason for it? It doesn't look major, but there is definitely something wrong with brake engineering. Again, xA is very close to Yaris... though we do not have this issue with our Yaris sedan....
zyovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:58 PM   #15
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Hmmm exact same thing happend in my shop 2 weeks ago. One mechanic was ajusting one of the rear drums of a car and then overadjusted it. He couldnt take the drum off to back off the adjusting wheel so just said screw it. Car drove fine around the block and was okay. Except for when the customer went to pick up the car and the wheel started to lock up. What happend the heat from braking after awile caused everyone to expand. And then became even tighter.

Easiest way for you to check if this is the problem is to jack up the rear end of the car on the side the problem is and see if you can spin the wheel freely. Then take off the wheel and spin the drum. Should make a 360 turn atleast.

If not search diy for drum adjustment
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:56 AM   #16
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k r a y z e e . j o j o View Post
Not if he brakes like I do
Well, ABS is anti lockup.

Were you talking about getting the ABS to kick on?

I've got some flat spots on my stock tires because I'd lock up the front brakes for fun.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote