Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
squeaky belt

my engine is mighty squeaky lately, and im afraid it's easy to hear the squeak over my exhaust half the time when i get out and leave my car running. (which is ridiculous) So i did a little bit of research and saw how to tighten the belt by moving the alternator. After doing so, the strain on my belt made the squeak much louder. so finally, i moved it to halfway between where the belt used to sit and where my first adjustment was. no good. I can hear this belt when driving 30 with my windows down. very embarrassing.

Any ideas? Do i just need a new belt? And if so, does anyone have a DIY on that? (i searched for a while but didn't see anyting)

Thanks in advance
Old 03-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
First thing when was the last time you changed the belt? The only way to tighten the belt is with the alternator, you have to make sure the belt has no tension at all, she needs to be very tight with a crow bar and a little strengh the belt will tighten try this. Its been known that the alternator or the screw that holds the alternator loosen over time, so check that out again, and if you never changed it then change it just to be safe the install does take no more than 5 min, IMO I've done all my mods on my own. If you need more info holla
TRD sportivo springs,Tokico Blue Shock/Struts,TRD rear sway bar & front bar,Tanabe engine bar,MI hoses (red), MI engine cover,SRI intake,VIOS vent visors,VIOS foglights,VIOS tails (HELLA lights & the Series 5 too),VIOS radio,VIOS badge,VIOS grill,18 inch R-1 rims wrapped in nankang tires 215/35-18z,chrome handles,retrofited the headlights, SHARK body kit (VIOS), Coming soon projectors heads with LED strip, Custom seats, MI hood lifts,MI momo steering wheel, sound system :)
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:22 AM   #3
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

I had it very tight the first time I tried, I'm afraid it's time for a new belt. What is the best way to do this? I figure remove alternator and take off old belt but how hard is it to loop on the new one? What is the name size of the belt? Thanks.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
big lo

You don't have to take off the alternator just loosen it up a little so it can move foward, before you take off the old belt look at the pulleys closely there is a pulley with no lines meaning the belt insert, you'll know when you take it off. Start from the bottom then go up with it. It shouldn't take no more than five min, but that's just me lol, take your time when all looks good tighten her up, start the car and there shouldn't be no noise at all, now for the part num# IDK sorry but you can go to any auto parts store and they will give you the correct one, good luck buddy let us know how it all works out.
TRD sportivo springs,Tokico Blue Shock/Struts,TRD rear sway bar & front bar,Tanabe engine bar,MI hoses (red), MI engine cover,SRI intake,VIOS vent visors,VIOS foglights,VIOS tails (HELLA lights & the Series 5 too),VIOS radio,VIOS badge,VIOS grill,18 inch R-1 rims wrapped in nankang tires 215/35-18z,chrome handles,retrofited the headlights, SHARK body kit (VIOS), Coming soon projectors heads with LED strip, Custom seats, MI hood lifts,MI momo steering wheel, sound system :)
Old 03-14-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

thanks, may do this on sat or sun when i have time. i also noticed the line on the inside of my hood that i saw in a previous post could mean you have a bad water pump (i think). gonna have to check into that. Thanks again for all the help
Old 03-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
big lo

The water pump is easy, but that's for another thread lol, good luck buddy
Old 03-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by big lo View Post
The water pump is easy, but that's for another thread lol, good luck buddy
It's not THAT easy. It IS a big job that may not be something everyone will want to try on their own.

Getting the bottom alt. bolt off can be enough of a discouraging experience to turn away many....
Getting the water pump off the block requires either lowering the engine by unbolting the mount or pushing the engine with a big prybar that can dent up the A/C lines in the process.

I've done the procedure, it's not fun...

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:51 PM   #8
GeneralDon7

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
It's not THAT easy. It IS a big job that may not be something everyone will want to try on their own.

Getting the bottom alt. bolt off can be enough of a discouraging experience to turn away many....
Getting the water pump off the block requires either lowering the engine by unbolting the mount or pushing the engine with a big prybar that can dent up the A/C lines in the process.

Id have to agree, I have tried for the past three weekends to get that bottom bolt loose, and I dont know how tight they make it at the factory, but I tried everything from a two foot pipe for leverage to liquid wrench. I finally had to cave and get it done at a mechanics shop before it broke on my fiancee since we share the car. If anyone has any other tips, I am open to anything, since I hate taking my car to a mechanic for general maintenaince.
GeneralDon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #9
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

once you push the engine down, how do you return it to the original position?
Old 03-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #10
big lo

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post

It might not be easy for you but in my case it was I've been working with cars since I was 13 year old I'm 35 so that's why I say its easy. I've worked with a few yaris from changing belts, water pumps, brake pads, adjusting the emergency brake and the list goes on, you just gotta know tricks is all. If you can't do the job take it to a mechanic. Now here's a tip if the bottom bolt gives you trouble use a pipe for leverage meaning if you are using a rachet insert the pipe by the hand grip this will help free the bolt, also if that doesn't work with a rubber malet you can tap the top of the alternator and she will move.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #11
auxmike

big lo,
I've been working on cars since I was 15 and I'm 43 now. I've done oil changes, plugs, air filters, cylinder head gasket, clutch jobs, fuel filters , fuel pumps, starters, alternators calipers, rotors, and on and on...
"Knowing" how to work on a car is one thing, but not being able to accomplish what you know because of an access issue is another. That bolt is on at 40ft lbs, I believe. That's REAL tight for what it's doing. It's tough to get to also, VERY easy for one to strip the bolt head. When I buttoned up my job, I retorqued that mutha to 20lbs. ft. That's PLENTY....

Old 03-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #12
big lo

No disrespect to you Aux, in the last comment but it was easy for me brotha, for some well its not, I never and I mean never took any of my cars to a shop, I always felt doin the job your self is benefiting and you learn more as you go along, well I'll leave it at that good luck to Tickle, and my bad to you AUX
Old 03-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #13
auxmike

Esta todo bueno....
I found I had to approach that bolt at a funny angle or something that made it tough to turn and get some good grip and muscle behind it.
Hey, my people are from Espana, so it's all good Boriqua!

Old 03-15-2011, 08:36 PM   #14
big lo

Well I was born in Brooklyn, came out here to start a new life and all has been postive for me, well now you are my family now bro, one
Old 03-16-2011, 11:49 PM   #15
auxmike

I was born in Kings County Hospital!
Lived in East Flatbush till I was about 3yo...
Ah yes, the old "safe" neighborhood..