Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
Help: dealer might not be able to fix window problem (2012 Yaris)

Hello. I posted on another thread about how I was having problems with my hand-crank window not rolling up all the way on my 2012 Yaris L. There is a gap at the top of the glass and the window will not stay up all the way. I've had water on the inside of the glass (twice) and a LOT of wind noise. From the inside of the car, I can even see over the top of the glass.

The dealer has been very courteous in trying to fix this problem. They've replaced the window regulator, adjusted the window regulator, and replaced the rubber molding on the window seal. However, I still have the same problem. I brought my car again to the dealer today for the 4th time, and he just called and said he doesn't think they can do anything else. I'm going to go there after lunch so he can show me how the door mechanism works.

My question is this: if he tells me they can't do anything, what should I do? I know there is a problem. Should I write a letter to Toyota Regional (I'm in upper Midwest)? If so, what is the address? Starting to get a bit nervous about this, so any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thank you.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
Absolutely Red 12
Asshole

Drives: 2012 and 2013!
Why start another post??

If other Yaris on the lot dont have a problem as yours.
If the dealer states they can't fix it.
Start a case with Toyota National Corporate.
You're now into lemon law territory.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Out of curiosity, can you crank it all the way to the top, or does it just stop before it reaches the top?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
That was also my thought...

If it didn't go up all the way, would it help to separate the gear and rack and move it up one notch?
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
muffin_top

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE 5MT
Call Toyota and start a case. Tell the analyst at Toyota you would like a field technician to look at the window.

Are there any other dealers around you?

Toyota customer experience center 800-331-4331

Don't mail a letter, it will take forever to get a response.
muffin_top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #6
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
Thank you.

Well, after the guy at the dealer called me and said they couldn't do anything about it, I went to pick up the car and he told me they adjusted the position of the hand crank. This was my 4th trip to the dealer and I was surprised they didn't do that before. He showed me that if the handcrank isn't ALL THE WAY in the CCW position, the window will not lock into place. He even grabbed the glass and slid it down with his hands, showing me how the glass wouldn't lock in place if the the crank wasn't all the way to the CCW position. He said he talked to Toyota about it and it was a "quirk" of the car, but they're all that way.

As of now, it looks to be fixed, but I'll keep an eye on it. Still a bit nervous about the whole deal. Thanks again.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote