Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-10-2008, 06:24 AM   #1
Stefan

Drives: '08 liftback
Thumbs down Rear fog light for US '08 3Door Yaris (stick shift9

Hello Forum,

I recently relocated from the US to germany and took my '08 3Door Yaris along. German authorities require efvery vehicle to have a rear fog light. The German rear lights have the fog light in place of the left reverse light.
Does anybody know if the two reverse lights have separate wires running to the front or do I need to install a new wire?
If they are separate, where do I find it? The brown wire that runs to the left lamp doesn't show up in the main wiring harness in the driver door frame (well there is on brown wire in there but seems to have a different function ).
Where is the switch that senses the transmission being put in reverse (standard transmission)?
Any suggestions please.

Stefan

I already put a switch in the dash board which provides power from the headlights, thus the foglight won't be on with out ignition and light on. I just need to find that single brown wire or run a new one...
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:30 AM   #2
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Stefan

Have you tried a local Toyota dealer? Being that the Yaris is available over there, it may already be pre-wired to run a rear fog light. I found out my US-spec 95 and 96 VW Passats were when we took them over to Belgium (when I was stationed in Germany we didn't need rear fog lights). I had both done at the Fina station on SHAPE where I worked.

The solution might be easier than you expect!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:57 AM   #3
Stefan

Drives: '08 liftback
probably no pre-wiring

I tried two dealerships and Toyota Germany ...

this vehicle was never intended for export (from Japan) to the EU. Thus there is no 'proper' (in a German / EU sense) emission data sheet, nor pre-wiring for the rear fog light.
The latest dealership suggested that there probably is no separate wire run for both reverse lights and that I'd need to run a new wire.
I'll do that tonight.

Stefan
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:51 AM   #4
MadMax

Wow, I thought there was; sorry about that!

I was happy to find out I didn't need to put one of those gawd-awful fog lights on my car when we got to Belgium. Most folks were only putting it on for the CT (control technique, the Belgian inspection) then removing it until next year.

Best of luck in running the wire. You might want to document it in case anyone else takes a US-spec car to Europe.

Cheers! M2
Old 11-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
And what is the purpose of said-fog light?

I hope it's not actually for fog while reversing.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
MadMax

The long and short of it is that it is a bright red light (brighter than normal tail lights) to help see vehicles from behind during heavy fog. This is what an aftermarket one looks like...

Normally they are built-in and look like this...

My take is that European cars used to have weaker tail lights, and as such a fog light was necessary to make them more visible. Whereas normally folks slow down in fog, in Europe it can be very patchy as you drive through the lower valleys; and it comes on quite suddenly.

Usually cars will have one rear fog light, but some (Audis and VWs) can have two. The downside to having two is that they can be mistaken for brake lights.

As far as I know, they are illegal in most if not all states (Check with your DMV to be sure). Not sure about Canada...

Cheers! M2
Old 11-10-2008, 08:41 PM   #7
the_boss

Drives: 07 YARIS HATCH 5 DOOR
Send a message via MSN to the_boss
that would be something that would increase security on the east cost of Canada...we have few severe fog session around here!
red led flashing under the bumbper would look great
the_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:52 PM   #8
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Actually, many Audi have rear fog lights in Canada. just one, not 2.

BTW, OEM rear fogs from Toyota. I know it's a 04 yaris/vitz, but shows my point.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:06 PM   #9
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
I have not been in Germany since 1980 but I thought that rear light was a parking light that actually lit a dim light ..... it used to be mandatory to have that light and leave it on for parking....... I am no longer up to speed on that but it was optional way back then. If you did not have the light then you could not park on some streets at night

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:53 PM   #10
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Hello Forum,

I recently relocated from the US to germany and took my '08 3Door Yaris along. German authorities require efvery vehicle to have a rear fog light. The German rear lights have the fog light in place of the left reverse light.
Does anybody know if the two reverse lights have separate wires running to the front or do I need to install a new wire?
If they are separate, where do I find it? The brown wire that runs to the left lamp doesn't show up in the main wiring harness in the driver door frame (well there is on brown wire in there but seems to have a different function ).
Where is the switch that senses the transmission being put in reverse (standard transmission)?
Any suggestions please.

Stefan

I already put a switch in the dash board which provides power from the headlights, thus the foglight won't be on with out ignition and light on. I just need to find that single brown wire or run a new one...
Hi if you check the left rear tail light (drivers Side) you should see 6 wires into tail light connector and 5 wires comeing out to the light .
The wire that is not coming ot to the tail lights is the fog light wire.
in my car the wire is light Blue.
remove wires from connection block (reverse and fog) swap them over ,and you
are set to run rear fog once you have power to the wire (blue wire).
hope all this makes sense.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:35 AM   #11
upgradedyaris

Drives: Yaris & Supra
I want a pic of the Yaris with it installed!

Duane
upgradedyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:59 AM   #12
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post

As far as I know, they are illegal in most if not all states (Check with your DMV to be sure). Not sure about Canada...

Cheers! M2
We once had a 1986 Volvo 740T (in Canada) which had two separate rear fog lights which illuminated by a separate switch beside the front foglight switch. Basically they were the same brilliance as the brake lights.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:14 AM   #13
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
I have not been in Germany since 1980 but I thought that rear light was a parking light that actually lit a dim light ..... it used to be mandatory to have that light and leave it on for parking....... I am no longer up to speed on that but it was optional way back then. If you did not have the light then you could not park on some streets at night
Bob

Sorry I didn't see your post a year ago, but to answer it anyway what you are referring to were the German parking lights. Our Passat had them, when the car was shut down you could move the turn signal stalk up or down to light the front and rear turn signals on the appropriate side. German law does require that if you are parked along a main road at night, you are required to have a parking light on.

What the OP is talking about is different, but also required. These rear fog lights are used while the car is being driven in (obviously) heavy fog. Most cars in Germany now have it built into the light switch, so when the front fog lights are on so is the rear one. It is also illegal to drive with it on when it is not foggy.

Cheers! M2
Old 01-11-2010, 12:09 PM   #14
Kongo-Otto

Drives: '09 Yaris & '10 Auris
To clear some things up:

Directional (Left or right side only) Parking Lights: Some cars here have them, but they are optional and not required.

Regular Parking lights: Mandantory. Both sides illuminated.

Rear Fog lights: Mandantory in Germany since 1991. Older cars dont need them if they have been here in Germany before. Atleast one in the middle or at the left side of the car is needed. Two are allowed. They are much brighter than the rear brake lights and strongly irritating during clear weather. Its forbidden to use them if the sight is more than 50 metres and you have to switch them on if you cant view more than 50 metres. IF you have to switch it on your are generally not allowed to drive faster than 50km/h.

Front Fog lights: Optional! You are allowed to use them whenever hard rain, fog or snow is decreasing your view significantly.

If your car got both fog lights, rear fog light will switch the front fog lights on, too. But front fog lights will not switch on the rear fog light.
Kongo-Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #15
MadMax

Kongo-Otto

Thanks for clearing that up.

By chance can you post a pic of a German Yaris with the rear fog lights on?

Cheers! M2
Old 01-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #16
Kongo-Otto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Kongo-Otto

Thanks for clearing that up.

By chance can you post a pic of a German Yaris with the rear fog lights on?

Cheers! M2
Sure i can do that with my own Yaris. Give me some hours.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #17
upgradedyaris

Drives: Yaris & Supra
^ I would love to see this. :) I wonder if we can hook this up in my model. So, you can switch it on and off then when you feel it's needed!?!

Duane
upgradedyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:15 AM   #18
Kongo-Otto

Sorry i did not forget this thread but my car is under warranty repair at my local Toyota dealer.

I am driving a Toyota Aygo right now. :D