Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-02-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
SLOWSK8

Drives: Blitzd Yaris
Slowsk8's Blitz Supercharger Troubles

Hey Guys,
I need help with the blitz supercharger install. Got the kit installed over the weekend. Car started up right away, no check engine lights at all, car felt perfect . About an hour later the relay stops clicking, no more boost . I take it back to the mechanic. The fuse from the battery to the relay burned out. So the mechanic hooks up the line without the fuse (I thought this was a bad idea) and the relay clicks like it suppose to when you press on the gas, but the wire that goes into the magnetic clutch/pulley smokes. So he tells me the magnetic clutch is bad to get a new one. Any Ideas on what went wrong? I purchased the kit second hand. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Manny
SLOWSK8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
It takes a hell of a lot to blow that fuse. Check your grounds to make sure they are correct and attached. Most Toyota dealerships don't even stock that fuse on their shelves because its nearly impossible to blow. BUT, if your ground isn't connected well or at all and it makes contact at the wrong time or angle, POP, there goes the fuse. Mechanic is liable for damage unless you were paying under the table for services.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Definitely if he hooked up something directly that was supposed to be fused, and that blew a fuse. That's just plain dumb. What the heck is the reasoning behind that move?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
SLOWSK8

Yeah I should have not let him hook that up direct like that. But I figured hes the mechanic he should know what hes doing. I just don't get why if it was grounded wrong would'nt that fuse have burned out instantly. It ran fine for a little bit.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
H3LlIoN

Drives: '09 Yarrrr hatch
so was it legit mechanic, or were you paying some buddy in beer?

Special thanks to Cali Yaris, 1NZYaris1 and lilredrocket
H3LlIoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
I bet he was surprised the wire started smoking too.

Good god...
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
SLOWSK8

This was a mechanic a friend of mine refered me to. He has been going to this guy for over 20 years. This was an older gentlemen but he seemed to know what he was talking about. He was just a little worried about the wiring part, so I wen't over when he was doing that part and helped count pins and verify colors to the chart. We soldered all the connections. He charged me $350.00 for the install which I thaught was more than fair at the time.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:56 PM   #8
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback
I would use a ohm meter and see if the coil is shorted to ground [IE: compressor body]. A magnetic clutch is a very simple circuit. Same thing that runs the A/C compressor. Why he would hook up a circuit without a fuse after the fuse has just blown is a very dum dum move and almost certainly gonna melt wiring. You may want to find a new tech.
pimp my yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:27 PM   #9
SLOWSK8

Alright guys so a I took the car to mechanical engineer friend of mine. He started taking the pulley apart, He noticed the magnet part of the pulley is loose. He was telling me that this piece should not spin. This is the part that has the cable connection. Which seamed like when it became loose it spun then pinched the cable causing a tare in it which caused the short. Have any of you guys taken the pulley assembly apart and noticed this magnet was loose or is it indeed fixed??
Old 12-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
There is a very specific distance needed for the clutch design to work and engage properly. Blitz puts shims on each one (or not) as needed when they assemble them. If you are disassembling it, look for that.

But I have put a pulley assembly on a bench, given it electricity and watched it click to engage and disengage. You can do this with it off the compressor.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #11
SLOWSK8

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have lift off. Thanks for everyone's Help!!