Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #1
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Brake failure on Friday...

As I was sitting at the red light at the end of the freeway offramp I felt my brake pedal suddenly go soft and hit the floor...SHIT, that's no good!

Sure enough I had lost 100% break pressure and knew there was a leak somewhere...having just done a complete break swap front and back I was pretty sure the culprit was the passenger rear as I was left with an intermittent squeak for the last couple of months.

Light turns green and I slowly cruise down the slight hill and coast to the first cross-street and pull over. I look at all four wheels and sure enough passenger rear(squeaky) was dripping all my ATE super blue on my new(ish) rim. I look left and lucky for me, A BRAKE SHOP!

I pull in, they get the drum off and the wheel cylinder end cap has come off, letting out a butt-load of fluid. I had managed to jab a tiny hole in the OEM cylinder during the brake job and was forced(on a Sunday) to get that aftermarket part from O'reily...the part failed. The mechanic reassembled the cylinder, put everything back together and tested it. He opened it back up and we noticed the left side(pointing towards the read) of the cylinder was not moving the shoe at all. I had him swap out the cylinder again(still not oem, see below).

I was in the middle of work, forgot my wallet at home and didn't ave my ATE on me at the time...on top of that my wife had taken her cell in for a screen repair about 20 minutes into my ordeal. If it wasn't for Facebook messaging and my neighbor who was nice enough to drive to my wife from his work with his cell I would have been hating life.

Anywho, that was my Friday...how was yours?

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:54 AM   #2
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Sooooo glad you weren't going down a steep hill whe your brakes failed.
You would've had to Flintstone it with your shoes.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
dayum

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:33 PM   #4
Mazilla2

Drives: 2007 HB
Mazilla is BACK!

...but I'm locked out of my old account. LOL

I had my car stored for about 3 years and just brought it out last week. The clutch had gone bad and it was just sitting in the garage collecting dust so I decided to get it up and running again. After three years it just needed a new battery and a gallon of gas and she fired right up, drove her to the shop for a new clutch. Next up is to decide if I want to keep the car off the books and strictly race/trailer it or do I want to deal with all that comes with driving a heavily modified car in California.

**if any MOD can help me gain access to my old account I would appreciate it!**
Mazilla2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:50 PM   #5
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
You so mad at the aftermarket rear drum brake cylinder you putting the car away for 3+years? Lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2018, 02:21 AM   #6
Mazilla2

Drives: 2007 HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
You so mad at the aftermarket rear drum brake cylinder you putting the car away for 3+years? Lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Haha,not mad at the brakes...it was the clutch that went out(again). At the same time I bought a boat and a motorcycle and I have 4 other cars so more like forgotten unfortunately. I drove it around town tonight, it was nice having it out again. I forgot how much I loved this car.
Mazilla2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:22 AM   #7
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
For complete failure of braking reported here, there is more wrong than one wheel cylinder...USA cars have all been dual systems since the early or mid 1960's.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote