Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
scene

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 1.5L, 4D
good sound systems for the yaris

I might get a new system since my stock system is starting to lose its vibrancy and starts to crackle and pop.'

suggestions please!
scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
scene

...and nobody knows nothing :<
Old 12-21-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
Kaykogi

Drives: 2009 Barcelona Red Sedan
Yes, we all know nothing. You are the first to ever attempt such a thing, so there are no threads that can be found with the search function.
Kaykogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
scene

Your rather caustic comment is not appreciated, I wouldn't have posted a new thread if I had not thought it was warranted. Of course I searched before I posted a new topic, but all of the information was rather ambiguous, old (judging by the thread creation date), or irrelevant. If you are soo knowledgable on the topic, why don't you point me in the right direction you cunt? Oh wait you aren't since all you can do is post these lame sarcastic comments in an attempt to be witty.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
Kaykogi

Drives: 2009 Barcelona Red Sedan
I never claimed to be knowledgeable, but I also didn't start my membership on yarisworld with an already answered question and a tirade. If you had actually searched you might have found countless threads asking the exact same question being politely answered. Or you might have even found derickveliz2's excellent thread about his in-progress build with numerous suggestions ( http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26150 ). I'd be happy to share my experience with you, but as of right now I'm one of the nobodies that "knows nothing".

Anyways, welcome to yarisworld. Good luck with your build.
Kaykogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #6
Still Learning

Drives: 07 Yaris 3Dr HB
Please go easy on the language, scene. This is a public forum where any one of any age can read what you write.
Still Learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #7
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
@scene,

You may receive more constructive replies if you provide us with some of your parameters. Such as;

- HU replacement only?
- single or DDIN?
- touch screen, navi, DVD?
- iPod controls?
- speaker upgrades?
- amps, subs?
- budget?
- etc, etc, etc...
Old 12-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #8
xbr3akd0wnx
Meow

Drives: 2008 Yaris, White Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaykogi View Post
Yes, we all know nothing. You are the first to ever attempt such a thing, so there are no threads that can be found with the search function.
Still agree with this guy. Search function helped me like no other. You just have to search lol.
xbr3akd0wnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #9
netz2008

Drives: 2008 hatchback
Well, personally I have a Polk speaker system with a Clarion CZ101 head unit. I have 4 6.5" speakers, 2 5.25" speakers, 2 10" subs, a 2 channel amp for the subs, and a 4 channel amp for the speakers. I personally love the sound quality of this setup, and it didn't cost much money since I bought just about everything half price on ebay (look for open box returns and "new other" items). Just my 2 cents.
netz2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #10
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
My Yaris setup:

Front: Alpine Type X 6.5" in the doors, with passive crossovers and tweeters in the A pillars. I put the crossovers right next to the amplifier, and pulled separate cables to each component.

Back: Alpine Type R 6.5" in the doors, with tweeter in the cone. No crossover. I regret not getting Type X for the rear as well, as the Type X sounds substantially better than Type R.

Subwoofer: Alpine Type R, 10", in a $30 walmart enclosure, sealed with extra glue in the edges (it was leaking).

Wires: just cheapo 12-16 gauge for the speakers, 4 gauge running from the battery to a fuse box that I zip tied to something above the Engine Computer area, then pulled the cable through the grommet on front passenger firewall, under the carpet to amplifier.

Amplifier: Alpine PDX 5. I think this was my smartest choice, as it simplified installation, fits perfectly under the passenger seat, was easy to wire, sounds great, immense power, gets warm but not hot, and with 600W it will not require a new alternator, although I believe I may wear out my alternator more quickly as I play loud often.

Also put a Clarion NX 700 as the head unit, with GPS, bluetooth voice, iPhone connector and stunningly awesome sound quality for my trance/digitally enhanced music. Made it easy to wire the amplifier (no need for output converters).

I think 10" is plenty of bass for the Yaris - I don't even have it turned up all the way, and it overpowers *everything*. And raises the hair on my head, massage my lower back and stomach and shake the shit out of the rear view mirror.

The most important part of audio in the Yaris however... is sound proofing the doors, putting soft foam in the cavities behind the speakers and shutting up the rear hatch with lots of sound dampening material/butyl.

I've had my system for... uhm, almost two years now I think. No issues aside from the Clarion screen going blank a few times in severe cold (like -15 Celsius). Just required cycling the power after the car warms up.

First time I listened to a song on the new system... it was some Pink Floyd song, and I got emotional... there was an entire spectrum of music I haven't heard before from the stock sound system. Subwoofer should be mandatory.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
nevada

Drives: Black Toyota Vits '08
@Scene: i don't know if this will still help, But before you choose your audio sound system there are 3 categories you have to be clear: Sound Quality, SPL or ICE (In Car Entertainment). Once you decide which category you are looking for, then we can help you choose the different Brands for each component.
nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:18 PM   #12
nevada

Drives: Black Toyota Vits '08
here are some samples ...

Simple Sound Quality Setup:

ICE setup (with TV's etc ... )
nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:56 PM   #13
scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
My Yaris setup:

Front: Alpine Type X 6.5" in the doors, with passive crossovers and tweeters in the A pillars. I put the crossovers right next to the amplifier, and pulled separate cables to each component.

Back: Alpine Type R 6.5" in the doors, with tweeter in the cone. No crossover. I regret not getting Type X for the rear as well, as the Type X sounds substantially better than Type R.

Subwoofer: Alpine Type R, 10", in a $30 walmart enclosure, sealed with extra glue in the edges (it was leaking).

Wires: just cheapo 12-16 gauge for the speakers, 4 gauge running from the battery to a fuse box that I zip tied to something above the Engine Computer area, then pulled the cable through the grommet on front passenger firewall, under the carpet to amplifier.

Amplifier: Alpine PDX 5. I think this was my smartest choice, as it simplified installation, fits perfectly under the passenger seat, was easy to wire, sounds great, immense power, gets warm but not hot, and with 600W it will not require a new alternator, although I believe I may wear out my alternator more quickly as I play loud often.

Also put a Clarion NX 700 as the head unit, with GPS, bluetooth voice, iPhone connector and stunningly awesome sound quality for my trance/digitally enhanced music. Made it easy to wire the amplifier (no need for output converters).

I think 10" is plenty of bass for the Yaris - I don't even have it turned up all the way, and it overpowers *everything*. And raises the hair on my head, massage my lower back and stomach and shake the shit out of the rear view mirror.

The most important part of audio in the Yaris however... is sound proofing the doors, putting soft foam in the cavities behind the speakers and shutting up the rear hatch with lots of sound dampening material/butyl.

I've had my system for... uhm, almost two years now I think. No issues aside from the Clarion screen going blank a few times in severe cold (like -15 Celsius). Just required cycling the power after the car warms up.

First time I listened to a song on the new system... it was some Pink Floyd song, and I got emotional... there was an entire spectrum of music I haven't heard before from the stock sound system. Subwoofer should be mandatory.
Oh wow, when I save up enough money I might just get a similiar setup as yours, thanks! How much time and money did you invest into this project (assuming it was a DIY job)?

@nevada I was really looking for the best of the best that you can fit into a yaris. Sound quality: rich and vibrant, Sound Pressure Level (?): 140 dB or whatever is the highest, ICE: sure

woah those look like some nice setups, too bad I have the sedan. How much did they pay for that?
Old 02-03-2012, 06:13 AM   #14
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
@scene, Another member Private Messaged me with a similar question to yours, and I added it all up and got about $2,000 for:

Alpine PDX-5 ($380)
Alpine SPX-17C ($180)
Alpine SPR-13C ($120)
Alpine R1042D ($100)
4-gauge wiring kit ($80)
100sqft. b-quiet sound proofing. $200)
NX700 H/U w/ wiring harness ($800)

+ maybe $100 for carpet, rubber spray for the wheel wells, some tape and extra wiring... I bought it all from lowest-cost online retailers (who I believe violate their vendor agreements by selling for about half of MSRP).

DIY Time: I think I had it done in about a week, doing a few hours a day, once I got all the stuff ordered and ready, and began ripping out the seats, the carpet and the dash. I needed to keep driving the car, so I was driving around with no seats, no interior panels, just my driver's seat and seatbelt remaining in the car. It's nothing too hard to do, just some things that take a little work. I went in with a plan... prepared with the knowledge of how to do things, learned from this forum. I.e. how you rip out the center console and how you get off the door panels...simple stuff once you know.

I wasn't "perfecting" the install, i.e. you see pictures on the forums of people laying down mat perfectly as if it is hardwood floor... I just slapped pieces of it in rough cut layers until things felt solid, then laid extra layers of carpet, and the carpet back down... and I stuffed the door and hatch cavities full of old open cell foam mattress pieces to eliminate resonance (cheaper than paying for specialty products!).

And unlike the pictures above, my Yaris looks completely normal on the inside after the install (well, better, because I also put Clazzio leather). I didn't do any custom panels, just cut a hole in the A-pillar for the tweeters, and used a simple subwoofer box taking up space in the trunk.

Edit:

If I was going to do it again, as I said above, I'd go with Type X all the way, PDX-5 is awesome, and dash mounted GPS I cannot live without. iPhone connector is highly useful to charge the iPhone while using the Waze iPhone application to earn meaningless points for driving.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:07 AM   #15
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
I would suggest SPX-17 pro for front doors.. a bit more expensive but worth every cent
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote