Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-24-2006, 01:45 PM   #11
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly1_0
if its designed to run with synthetic oil from the start then it works... AMG does it.

proper engine break in is at least 20,000 KM, no if's, and's or butt's.
the benifits that synthetic can provide are better cold winter starts, and better protection with an older engine.

we already get 5,000 miles between changes using regular oil in these cars, is that not enough?

if you are really that keen on running synthetic, i would check your warranty,and talk to a toyota mechanic, i can't be bothered to look, i talked the dealer into 5 years of free oil changes when i bought mine...
What is break in?
What does it do?
What is the difference between and engine designed to use synthetic and one that is not?
What synthetics do not meet mfg oil standards?

When you are breaking in an engine you are seating the rings. As the rings seat engine compression levels rise until the rings are fully seated.
improper break in, like driving your car like a pansy will not product high enough combustion pressure to force the rings out to properly seat. Proper break in is very important and 90% of it is done within the first 40 minutes of running the engine. The main things to avoid are steady cruise speeds, idleing, overrevving, or short trips under 5 minutes. After a tank of fuel the rings are pretty much seated as much as they will (depending on how it was run)

Everything else like bearings and valve guides are precision machined to exact specs. Again these are not engines from the 70's
Running in an engine does not in anyway shape or form take 20,000km
For phuck sakes man some people don't put 20,000km on their car in a year...
My sister in laws Cobalt is 2 years old and does not have 20,000km.

The difference between oil is this
Group I = Conventional oil is group I oil (basic refined mineral oil)
Group II = Synthetic blend is a group II oil and is a mixture of synthetic base Group III = highly refined crude oil but is classed as full synthetic and usually contain low to moderate levels of POA's and Esters (Mobil 1, syntec, Motul )
Group IV lubricants are pure synthetics POA based and contain no mineral oil (Amsoil Royal purple)
Group V lubricants are polyolEster based and also contain no mineral oil (Amsoil and Redline)

Any one of these oils can be used in ANY automotive engine, most if not all meet or by far exceed mgf oil requirements.
Some engines like in Cadillac, lincoln, BMW, Corvette, lexus, etc come with synthetic in them NEW off the showroom floor.
Why do Toyota dealers offer Mobil 1 for oil changes?

Please befor you make yourself look real stupid just stop talking about what you don't know anything about !

The fact is engine wear out, and using a better lubricant will greatly extend the life and performance of the engine. instead of an engine running 300,00km and burning oil, large loss of compression and overall loss of performance with TRUE synthetic you can greatly reduce the ring and cylinder wear, friction, heat and because there are no by products to oxidize and turn to sludge performance and oil flow is not lost doe to engine deposits.

With my race engine using EGT/CHT ive seem as much as 30degree drop in egt's just by switching to Amsoil. I went from rebuilding our drag and race engines every few races to once a season or longer.

Last edited by 07WYarisRS; 10-24-2006 at 01:57 PM.
07WYarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote