Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-29-2015, 01:39 PM   #1
theb

Drives: yaris
Toyota dealer

I had transmission fluid flushed and changed last week at 130k on yaris '07 at Toyota dealer. Reason I had it done was that lately I started noticing it would get stuck in 3rd gear longer then I think it should. They also replaced the belt. Now the car runs a bit better but few times again got stuck in 3rd gear for longer time then I think is normal. To see the new belt is easy but is there a way to tell if the transmission fluid was changed?
theb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:57 PM   #2
LugNut

Drives: 2007 2DR Liftback
I worked in a trans shop years ago. Unfortunately, automatics that slipped, had trouble shifting, etc. tended to work worse after changing the fluid and filter. You really want to see/smell/feel what comes out of that pan, and most likely it would tell that it's time for a rebuild with such symptoms.

But ... if there's an easy valve body/servo fix or band adjustment on that transmission, it might be worth a shot. Find a great trans shop, probably an independent one unless you are still under warranty.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:58 PM   #3
attrapereves

Drives: 2010 Yaris 2dr 5spd
Generally if the transmission is already slipping, it's too late.

Most people don't keep cars long enough to bother changing the fluid, but used car owners should definitely have it done just to be on the safe side.
attrapereves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:29 AM   #4
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
let me guess, when you initially start up the car and drive the car doesn't quickly shift into 4th like you expect, right?

That's a "feature" of the auto to get it warmed up quicker.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:42 AM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
^this... it will stay in 3rd as long as the blue engine temp light is on. In crazy cold winters I have noticed my Echo stays in 3rd for a little longer after the light goes off.

Using my ultra gauge the coolant light goes off at 130F on my Yaris and 140F on my Echo. I'm not a fan of the feature, more reason to buy a standard
Old 09-09-2015, 10:27 AM   #6
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
It does it because of emissions. Reving the engine higher makes the cat get hotter faster and lowers tailpipe emissions.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote