Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-26-2009, 03:41 AM   #19
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
The addition of this panel actually makes changing the oil much easier, as once the panel is removed, there is more room to work as the OEM plastic panels are gone (those things actually hang down an inch or two below the bottom of the bumper!).

Removing the panel takes about 20 seconds, and reinstalling it takes about 40 seconds once you get the hang of it!
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:51 PM   #20
RHDVIPbB
Right beside you, wave

Drives: 08 PBM Yaris Sedan
oh, how much room is there lock to lock on the steering? Does the wheel get close at all? I only ask because some people might run wider rims/tires.

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan. Pacific Blue Mica. Custom vinyl eyebrows, color matched interior trim pieces, Vios lip spoiler, 17" Maas rims

2010 Scion xB 7.0 Release Series. 1535 of 2000. Murasaki. Stock with TRD springs.
RHDVIPbB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:33 PM   #21
jkuchta

Actually, the shape of the panel accelerates the air as it goes under the panel (under the front of the car), thus reducing the pressure in this area...

As such, if this panel does anything aerodynamic (or anyone gets this car to go fast enough) it will create downforce under the front end. If we can get a reasonable effeciant rear diffuser, this will allow even more air to go under the front of the car, creating even more downforce.

As for wheel clearance, I have 205/??/15 Yokohama Avid V4s's, and only at max lock above about 5-10 mph do I get even a hint of rub. Because of the construction of the side plates on the underpanel, there is actually a little more clearance than with the OEM plastics.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:49 PM   #22
jkuchta

bump
Old 06-30-2009, 08:46 PM   #23
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
PK, John's answer about the aerodynamics of the underpanel is correct.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:11 PM   #24
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
You can comment as much as you like, but the science of downforce aerodynamics is well established.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:55 PM   #25
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
I Don't care any which way , cause it's too big to get here

1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:07 PM   #26
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
wow, that looks fantastic! I would love to see how that would do at the track!! we were having serious trouble keeping any speed on the straight. We were entering at about 90 mph and only able to get up to 103-ish by the end. The car suffers from major drag at that speed, so this could really improve that by quite alot. I have another track event in 3 weeks, now i just need to come up with some money :(
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:07 PM   #27
jkuchta

Order a table or big bookcase from IKEA, and we'll put it in the box!

While the box may be like 36"x48" (or near there), I can't imgine it being more than 4 inches thick and at most 15 lbs.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:48 PM   #28
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Just got done installing the kit and I gotta say it's super clean and waaaaayyyy better than those crappy plastic covers. Installation was fairly easy but I did have to make some small adjustments here and there to get it mounted correctly. I loosened the bolts that mount the underside of the bumper to the frame and pushed the bumper towards the front a bit taking up all the slack on the mounting holes. And I made sure all the mounting brackets were pushed towards the back taking up the slack on the front mounting holes. This made for much better alignment of the Dzus fasteners as the panel is a super snug fit the way it should be.

Though I didn't check to see if the side panels were visible through the wheels once mounted, I painted the outward face of them using truck bed paint just in case.

Definitely much greater access and visibility to the engine bay when the panel is removed. An added plus in my mind.

It's a winner for sure and Garm and the others who helped develop and test it get a big hand from me . Awesome mod!!
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote