Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-27-2007, 06:46 AM   #19
ricepower

Drives: Yaris Y Sedan
Send a message via MSN to ricepower Send a message via Yahoo to ricepower
use filter wrench to remove filter and use my own hand to install new filter. This will eliminate loose thread for the filter.
ricepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #20
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
you all do realize oil filters are a low torque gasket, filters should be on hand tight, no need to He-man those bitches on. No real need for a filter wrench with the location of our filter. None of you have ever worked in a fast pased shop inviroment before, no one ever used filter wrenches unless, some numb-nuts over torqued the filter the last time they changed the oil.
Im usually the one who got assigned the numb nuts to tighten my filter.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:28 PM   #21
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
I am so weird that I actually a torque wrench with my filter end cap tool. Having said that I must also say that a few different vehicles I owned had filters tough to remove even after using proper torque. It almost seems like a couple of different engine designs might create a suction with there modest oil pressure drawing the filters tighter after installation? I have no evidence of this, but was just throwing it out there for discussion.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:46 PM   #22
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
You can always switch to K&N filters: http://www.knfilters.com/oilfilter.htm

... and never use a filter wrench again. A 17mm one will do just fine.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:39 AM   #23
saue1436

Drives: 07 sedan
Ive used the K&N filters since the beginning. They claim to be good for 2 oil changes but I replace it every 5000 miles. Cost 2-4 times more than normal cheapo filters though. $11-$13 depending where I buy them. A nice 3/4" socket wrench with a long extension and a 1" socket makes for some quick easy oil changes.
saue1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:40 PM   #24
dr_evo

Drives: 05 Evolution VIII, 07 Yaris LB
I bought the endcap wrench at wally world. $2.96. I tried using the hand method first because I can remove all my cars' filters by hand except the factory installed ones which is a b&tch to remove.

has anyone noticed that the made in 10003 japan filter which was installed in the factory looks far superior than the yzzf2 made in thailand filter you buy at the stealership? what gives? it looks like the japanese ones have a different media suspended by a plastic fastener. very well constructed while ours over here looks like the supertec ones at walmart. not worth the $5.99 i got it for.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:30 PM   #25
blacksan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_evo View Post
has anyone noticed that the made in 10003 japan filter which was installed in the factory looks far superior than the yzzf2 made in thailand filter you buy at the stealership? what gives? it looks like the japanese ones have a different media suspended by a plastic fastener. very well constructed while ours over here looks like the supertec ones at walmart. not worth the $5.99 i got it for.

I really like the quality of WIX filters and use them for most every application including the YARIS. My favorite oil is by far AMSOIL synthetic.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:48 PM   #26
dr_evo

Drives: 05 Evolution VIII, 07 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksan View Post
I really like the quality of WIX filters and use them for most every application including the YARIS. My favorite oil is by far AMSOIL synthetic.
im just starting to get convinced on this amsoil stuff. i have used mobil 1 for as long as i can remember. im actually considering it because of the longer oil change interval which is good for my sister's 4runner. how much amsoil do you usually stock up? im thinking of getting the 4-1 gallon containers for my yaris, evo and 4runner. that should be good for at least half a year. what's the difference between the wix and the amsoil filter?
Old 04-29-2007, 09:26 PM   #27
blacksan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_evo View Post
im just starting to get convinced on this amsoil stuff. i have used mobil 1 for as long as i can remember. im actually considering it because of the longer oil change interval which is good for my sister's 4runner. how much amsoil do you usually stock up? im thinking of getting the 4-1 gallon containers for my yaris, evo and 4runner. that should be good for at least half a year. what's the difference between the wix and the amsoil filter?
I only buy a gallon jug each time I need it as drain intervals are so far apart. We used this oil in heavy duty farm equipment with regular oil sample testing and it held up to pretty extreme abuse much longer then I ever wanted to leave it in the crank case. If you can trust it in tractors, dozers, front end loaders that work hard for a year then your car can easily do that length of time.

I personally think the Amsoil filter is better then the WIX, but I am not going to leave a filter on long enough to justify the expense of the Amsoil filter. If you just swap the filter 2X a year (aprox 7,000) miles and top of the Amsoil you go easly go the average 15,000 miles driven each year with one oil change. Just because it looks dirty does not mean that it is not working properly.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:09 PM   #28
YarisKid

Drives: 2007 Bayou Metallic Yaris
This is what I use, works like a charm. Put the new one on by hand.

-YK
YarisKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:19 AM   #29
gonzo452001

Drives: 3-door liftback blazing blue
I had one free oil change from the dealer when I got my yaris they either didn't change the filter or they put it on real tight never had a dealer put one on that tight before pretty sure they did change it .It was a F1 don't think they come from the factory like that.I use the F2's like you are supposed too
oem style foglights
96tacoma 4x4 xcab I4auto
Weathertech vent visors
Scan GaugeII
gonzo452001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:04 AM   #30
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
The Toyota filter says to tighten it 3/4 turn after gasket contact with the "dedicated tool", whatever that is. I use an end cap type.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:37 AM   #31
blacksan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violin View Post
The Toyota filter says to tighten it 3/4 turn after gasket contact with the "dedicated tool", whatever that is. I use an end cap type.
The "dedicated tool" pictured in the service manual looks like an end cape type with T handle extension. Of course with out the car being on a lift that approach would be tough to use.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:29 PM   #32
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
wait a min isnt the oil filter like on the side right below that thing that says caution hot... i have not looked for it on the yaris yet im acually going to after i post this cause im going out but yeah if it is how the hell do you change ur oil with out getting any on the engine?
Jerkratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:34 PM   #33
blacksan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkratt View Post
wait a min isnt the oil filter like on the side right below that thing that says caution hot... i have not looked for it on the yaris yet im acually going to after i post this cause im going out but yeah if it is how the hell do you change ur oil with out getting any on the engine?
The filter and the drain plug are easy to get at unless your car is lowered. Pop the hood and look down on the grill side of engine. The filter is visible down low. There is nothing below it.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:46 AM   #34
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
heh i saw it im an idiot... i thought it was a diff engine.... its in the best place ever lol
Jerkratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:19 AM   #35
sambo42xa

Drives: 07 YARIS Automatic/LiftBac/Red
Come on, you can't get your oil filter off?! Use you imagination! I understand when doing your first oil filter change. YES, they are on tight right from the factory. What the dealership or some fast oil place does is different too. IF YOU are doing the oil filter change yourself, the correct way is once the gasket makes contact, turn 1/4 more of a turn....THAT'S IT! Your all done. When YOU do your next oil/filter change there should be no at all. IF YOU cannot master this by your third (even your second) oil change, then you shouldn't even be doing an oil change. Let the dealership or other fast oil places do it for you then continue .
All the above is just my opinion or suggestion (one part is FACT).

Old 06-23-2007, 02:50 PM   #36
dniloc2cv

Drives: Yaris hatchback 2007
Stock toyota filter no. 90915-yzzf2 bought an when I went to change it
Filter no. installed by dealer is 90915-yzz1 and its longer/easier to grab and remove. Called parts an they said if it worked its was fine. Next oil change I'm going back to the ...z1
dniloc2cv is offline   Reply With Quote