Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-18-2009, 06:24 PM   #19
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Well, I do have an exhaust, the stock one ;-) and the hitch is not in the way at all, the main horizontal bar goes right above the lower bumper edge. There is one thing I can't figure out from your pic, how far back that attachment rod goes. If the attachment points are the same as for the stock exhaust, I don't see a problem. If you can upload a picture from a slightly different angle (push the camera deeper under the car, like 90 degree with the exhaust) I will be able to tell better.

My hitch is from Draw Tite, but I understand there are different models out there and they even have different attachment points.

Oh, btw, what size rims and tires do you have? I just got a new set for my Yaris and was a little afraid to go with a thin tire...
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:32 PM   #20
yaris prime
Yes- I fit in it.

Drives: 2007 Yaris liftback, MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mead View Post
I gotta question... (obviously you dont have an exhaust) but do you think an after market exhaust will block the hitch? I have the medallion touring like this:
Hmm... here are some pics of the curt hitch mounted on my car with the factory exhaust. It uses the holes that you see right above your exhaust in the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hitch 1.jpg (62.6 KB, 369 views)
File Type: jpg hitch 2.jpg (49.2 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg hitch 3.jpg (46.7 KB, 359 views)
Old 07-19-2009, 02:23 AM   #21
fmicle

I finally found the pics I took when installing the electrical harness for towing. I wanted to hide everything, so you can't see it when it's not in use. So I took out the panels as you can see in the first photo and I unclipped the side panels, so that I could lay the wires underneath and out of sight. You must be careful with the side panels, because you must push the edge toward the inside, to unhook it, you can't simply pull on it after unscrewing the bolts. This hook is I'd say at the same height as the top edge of the tail lights. You'll see it if you pull the panel just a little bit and peek inbetween.

The day before I had figured out which wires are the stop lights, brake and turn signals, so with that note in hand I spliced the wires. The kit had an extra long green wire for the right turn signal. The white wire (ground) is attached to one of the bolts securing the tail light.

And this is the end result, the cable is resting inside the spare wheel when it's not in use, out of sight. I managed to fit the controller module behind the back panel, although I had to cut a little piece of one vertical rib, to avoid the panel forming a bulge over the controller.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #22
Mead

Drives: BSP Yaris LB 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
Well, I do have an exhaust, the stock one ;-) and the hitch is not in the way at all, the main horizontal bar goes right above the lower bumper edge. There is one thing I can't figure out from your pic, how far back that attachment rod goes. If the attachment points are the same as for the stock exhaust, I don't see a problem. If you can upload a picture from a slightly different angle (push the camera deeper under the car, like 90 degree with the exhaust) I will be able to tell better.

My hitch is from Draw Tite, but I understand there are different models out there and they even have different attachment points.

Oh, btw, what size rims and tires do you have? I just got a new set for my Yaris and was a little afraid to go with a thin tire...
Thanks, I think the Draw Tite will work, the Tanabe exhaust uses the same stock hanger locations. BTW I highjacked the exhaust pic, it's not mine

Yaris Prime, I think your Curt will work too. And judging by the attachement points it looks easier to install than the Draw Tite however I think those lower openings are tow points but I guess if you need a tow they can do it thru a receiver...
Mead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:47 PM   #23
Mead

fmicle - how do you like that bikerack? is that a Bell from Wallyworld?

How's it on the freeway? pretty stable? I like the fact the arms are spread out more than high end racks.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:25 AM   #24
fmicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mead View Post
fmicle - how do you like that bikerack? is that a Bell from Wallyworld?

How's it on the freeway? pretty stable? I like the fact the arms are spread out more than high end racks.
Yes, it is a Bell and I think I got it at Big 5 or something like that. It was $75 I believe as opposed to $149 for Thule or some other brand name. So I went for the cheapest. I like it, it does the job. I took it on a road trip a few years ago, 2,400 miles in 8 days (from San Jose, CA to Moab, UT then Arizona and back) with my MTB on it at all times while driving.

The rubber rings that the straps go into and velcro back onto themselves are broken, but the straps are long enough so I can lead them around the bar - and I actually feel better this way, much stronger than a little piece of rubber.

I wanted to get a ski rack to attach to it, but unfortunately, I couldn't find anything that fits this model. Yet
Old 07-28-2009, 11:26 PM   #25
Mead

Thanks, I was looking into all kinds of racks, lots of them have fold down arms and the 'tray' style I feel will scrape because I'm lowered.

The Bell with the inability to fold arms makes it lighter and prolly stronger. I'm a leaning towards that. More features IMO = more weight and $350 racks will need to be locked down.

I think the bell can handle 100 lbs while the folding arms around 70 or less for 1 1/4".
Old 07-29-2009, 03:02 AM   #26
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
I'm too lazy to go out to the car at this hour, but what is the length between
mounting points? or how wide is this hidden hitch?
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:25 PM   #27
ptitpiffute

Drives: Yaris RS 2007
Hi guys,

I've a question about the curt hitch (I've looked all over here and couldn't find the answer).
Does it feet on an RS model Yaris LB 2007, because of the skirt, it seems that it is a pain in the bu.... to get one install here in MTL.

Thanks

Cheers
ptitpiffute is offline   Reply With Quote