Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-21-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Gumout fuel injector cleaner

Well I went to my local Autozone, bought some new wiper blades and some detail spray and they gave me a free 12oz bottle of gumout concentrated fuel injector cleaner.

I tried to search here on the forums, so I have to go ahead and ask, who dares use cleaners in our car. I used to have a big worry about adding stuff to fuel.

I wouldn't worry if this was my old Geo I had, but i have to keep thinking about possibly hurting the Yaris
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Search for Lucas additives. No harm done when used properly.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
ive run several of the gumout fuel injector cleaners through over the time ive had it, no issues yet.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Hmm I might just try it on my next tank/oil change and see if there's any difference
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:20 AM   #5
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I would suggest Lucas UCL with every tank full of gas, then Chevron Concentrate 12 oz bottle in tank just before oil change. Keeps things clean and fresh. The Lucas provides me 7% more MPG too, besides the cleaning and upper chamber lub'ing too. And it won't F'up the catalyst converter either.
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:57 AM   #6
aca72

Drives: '07 Yaris S Sedan M5
You don't need it if you use a top tier fuel brand.

I've used Gumout Regane with no issues.

There is plenty of talk about it at BITOG...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1215655
Old 02-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #7
GeneralDon7

Drives: Yaris Sedan
I use the Gumout complete fuel system every oil change, and no ill effects that I'm aware of. It raised my MPG by 2-5%.
GeneralDon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:09 PM   #8
PolarWhite

Drives: '07 Polar White Hatchback
There is no harm in using any name brand fuel additive. I can also tell you that it doesn't matter what brand of fuel you are using, they don't have enough fuel additives in them. I worked for Texaco for years. They would pour a measely 5 gallons of fuel additive in an entire tanker truck of fuel. Hardly enough to do a good job of cleaning your fuel system. Valvoline is one company that makes a complete fuel system for use beginning when a car is new all through its life. You use a pour in at 3k, 6k and 9k and then a little stronger one every 12k. Start over again and at 36k, you have the injectors cleaned with a 3-part fuel system. The idea that people pour an additive in their gas and increase their mileage by 5mpg or more is ludicrous. They are meant to keep the fuel system from getting dirty in the first place.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:31 PM   #9
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarWhite View Post
There is no harm in using any name brand fuel additive. I can also tell you that it doesn't matter what brand of fuel you are using, they don't have enough fuel additives in them. I worked for Texaco for years. They would pour a measely 5 gallons of fuel additive in an entire tanker truck of fuel. Hardly enough to do a good job of cleaning your fuel system. Valvoline is one company that makes a complete fuel system for use beginning when a car is new all through its life. You use a pour in at 3k, 6k and 9k and then a little stronger one every 12k. Start over again and at 36k, you have the injectors cleaned with a 3-part fuel system. The idea that people pour an additive in their gas and increase their mileage by 5mpg or more is ludicrous. They are meant to keep the fuel system from getting dirty in the first place.
Well to be raited top tier you are required to have a extensive amount of fuel addatives. I dont think texaco is on the top tier list.

In northern california i know the main ones are chevron ie techron, shell ie v-power and then 76 i forget thier fancy name for thier addative.

But if you are running any of those top tier fuels you will never have buildup on top of pistons or valves. I know because i ran seafoam through a vehicle that had over 140k miles and the owner has always used chevron gas. There was no smoke or funny smell comming out of the exhaust when the service was done. Engine was spotless.

And i performed the same fuel system cleaning on a vehicle with 30k miles who used only discount gas, IE rotton robbie, BP, Arco, Costco etc. And that thing smoked for atlesat 30 minutes. THe cloud of smoke went from out the shop into the street and nearly caused a traffic accident as it was extremely thick and dense. Also the smoke completeld filled up the shop and went into the office area choking the customers. The owner who was waiting came out to see what was going on to find out it was his vehicle. He swore never to use cheap gas again. To those reading this may think its a exaggerated story but it is completely true.

He swore never to use cheap gas again. After the service was done he commented on how much better his vehicle ran and idled and brought his wifes car in for the same service as well.

Since then ive always used chevron personally because of my own personal experience seeing the effects.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:38 AM   #10
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
The corner gas station gets his gas from the same place the big name gas stations get their gas,not like Joe's discount gas has his own refinery.Up here in Canada gas is strictly regulated so theres no such thing as top tier gas as it all has to conform to government standards.Additives? each my last 6 vehicles have gone well over 200k with regular gas and no additives added by me just regular maintenance and i have had no engine problems,no burning oil,no sludge build up.So if you want to spend your money on additives go ahead its good for the economy,whether it does anything for your car
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:33 PM   #11
upyaris

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback
I use fuel injector cleaner about every oil change or when i notice a drop in gas mileage. I found that it does help get better gas mileage, just be sure to use it when you are getting ready to do mostly highway driving so it can keep a constant flow of injector cleaner flowing through the injectors.
2008 Meteorite Metallic Hatchback, TRD lowering springs, TRD rear sway bar, TRD exhaust, 17" LiquidMetal wheels w/ Yokohama "S" drive wheels, 10" Fusion subwoofer w/ 400 watt amp, infiniti speakers, AFE stage 2 CAI, 35% window tint, wind deflectors, euro taillights, NST SSK1 & SSK2, and NST lightweight pulleys!.
upyaris is offline   Reply With Quote