Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-24-2009, 02:08 AM   #1
Mr Yarisman

Drives: Vitz
Check engine light

I change my stock air filter to AFE 51-1130 intake.why my check engine lights on?
Mr Yarisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:31 AM   #2
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Make sure it's installed correctly and run the car as usual and wait for the ECU to adapt.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:00 AM   #3
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Probally loose connection resulting in vacuum leak. Or the seal for the MAF sensor is not seated correctly. If the CEL is on its most likely MAF sensor related. I would wiggle all the hoses and tighten the clamps. Make sure the breather hose is connected correctly to the tubing and if everything looks good disconect the negative battery for a few minutes and reconnect and seeif they light comes back on. If it does you may have damaged the sensative MAF sensor. You can never touch the wires or get any contamination on them.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:21 AM   #4
Mr Yarisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Probally loose connection resulting in vacuum leak. Or the seal for the MAF sensor is not seated correctly. If the CEL is on its most likely MAF sensor related. I would wiggle all the hoses and tighten the clamps. Make sure the breather hose is connected correctly to the tubing and if everything looks good disconect the negative battery for a few minutes and reconnect and seeif they light comes back on. If it does you may have damaged the sensative MAF sensor. You can never touch the wires or get any contamination on them.

When i install the AFE intake the engine lights came on then I drove it for day then came off now is on again.
Mr Yarisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
If you're going to mod your car, you should invest in a OBDII code scanner. You can pick one up easily under $100. Use it for your own CEL or impress your friends...
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
Mr Yarisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
If you're going to mod your car, you should invest in a OBDII code scanner. You can pick one up easily under $100. Use it for your own CEL or impress your friends...
What's the good OBDII code scanner?
Old 10-24-2009, 10:44 PM   #7
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Scangauge II i presume?
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:10 PM   #8
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
I have a Actron CP9135 AutoScanner Diagnostic Code Scanner and a Hypertech tuner with a OBDII scanner built-in. The Actron works great and is probably the most common one found at auto parts stores... It's about $140 but you can find it for cheap on EBay and I've used it on several different vehicles. Remember OBDII is the standard for all cars sold in the US for 1996-up model years.
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote