Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Q HORSEPOWER SYNTHETIC $18 for 5Qt Jug

Had to beat GID on this dealWalmart also have Q SUV & 4x4 for same deal. Thats $3.60 a qt. Have Seen Good UOA's on this fluid. Just 1 hr ago, Put some in wifes Toyota Rav4, seems "peppier".
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
TheSilkySmooth

OK I will have to be reincarnated so I dont get the big ignore
Old 02-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
i'd never put quaker state products in anything that is internal combustion ;)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
$3.60 per qt. is real cheap! How do you measure out the oil from a 5 qt. jug?
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
aca72

Drives: '07 Yaris S Sedan M5
Thumbs up

Q HP Full Synthetic is a good quality oil. It is acceptable for the U.S. spec Yaris 5000-mile OIC. For that price, it's an excellent deal. It's made by SOPUS. Yes, that's owned by SHELL.

Q HP Full Synthetic chit-chat at BITOG...
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...84#Post1267584
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...361055&fpart=1

Q HP Full Synthetic Product Data Sheet...
http://www.qpower.com/doc/PDS_HorsePower.pdf

Be guided.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
TheSilkySmooth

I havent used QS since the big "recall" years ago either, but nothing else was working so I keep trying until I hit the good stuff. At least QS they ponied up to their problem unlke Mobil who is in denial/coverup/silent recall mode with millions of litres of M1 not meeting API spec. The Q 5W-40 are Maserati and Ferrari only US recommended service fill for you "Image" guys and gals.

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 02-08-2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: can U spell ferrari?
Old 02-08-2009, 05:40 PM   #7
TheSilkySmooth

I drove the 05 Rav-4 around some more after the Q horsepower changeover. The Engine is toast, still noisey ass heck. Q HP will not help here. Actually the Q Higher Milage Vehicle 10W30 was better in this near death mode. She's ready to launch a piston OUTSIDE of the block. Great Toyota Indestructible DEAD at 67K miles on SM/SL API oil with not enough wear additive. I knew it! So Off to the Subaru store I go ... It's '09 Forester Time (yawn). Last of the awd SUV cheap with a 5 speed. Now what oil to put in this? May be John deere tractor oil time. 10W30 in the winter and straight 30 in the summer. At least I know this stuff works with the SJSG API Spec ...
Old 02-10-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
TheSilkySmooth

The rav -4 is gone. Gotta new Subie forester with a 5spd manual. Got 28 mpg driving back from dealer going about 35-45mph. Surprising on a 3400lb vehicle. Unfortunately - this thing seems to have some rod noise too. WTH!? 10w-40 oil time?
Old 02-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #9
craigq

Drives: '07 Yaris, '12 GLI
This is strictly my opinion, but I find that all of the Subaru H-engines sound a little different... except for the ones with the loud exhausts that drown out the mechanical noise of the engine...
craigq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:16 PM   #10
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigq View Post
This is strictly my opinion, but I find that all of the Subaru H-engines sound a little different... except for the ones with the loud exhausts that drown out the mechanical noise of the engine...
Yeah, I know what you mean. The 2.2L was the best tuned the 2.5 is a blubbering slug, but a bit better for 09. 4" bore x 3" stroke. Too oversquare. They do LOVE to be flogged to the max and respond well to this. But My spouse aint gonna be doing any flogging, drives like Grandma.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:04 PM   #11
360cubes

Drives: 2000
Send a message via MSN to 360cubes
QS products are good for the money. Since I've been running synthetics I've been using Amsoil, as they beat Royal Purple, Mobil1, QS, Pennzoil and several other synthetic oil brands. I've noticed smoother idle in my SPI engines and better fuel economy in all my vehicles, even those that are electronically controlled. Mobil1 would be my second choice for oil. Synthetic all the way - there is no substitute!
360cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:47 AM   #12
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360cubes View Post
QS products are good for the money. Since I've been running synthetics I've been using Amsoil, as they beat Royal Purple, Mobil1, QS, Pennzoil and several other synthetic oil brands. I've noticed smoother idle in my SPI engines and better fuel economy in all my vehicles, even those that are electronically controlled. Mobil1 would be my second choice for oil. Synthetic all the way - there is no substitute!
Your amsoil is synthetic. All the others are not, no matter what it says on the bottle, it is refined mineral oil in the US Market. The fake syns are called GRP-iii severe hydroprocessed. I dont like them at all. Unless the Manufacturer states what amount of the base oil is grp-iv and grp-V (the real synthetic lubricants as sold in Europe) I would be suspect at best whats in the oil. Redline has real synthetic oil. A quick way to find out a real syn is look at the specification if provided, then divide the 100cst viscosity by the HTHS and if the result is under 3.1 you probably have a high % grp-V synthetic, add a pour point under -50 and your golden. Het, sHhhhh dont tell anyone, Racers' Secret: Mobil-1 4T racing motocycle oil is real synthetic with a lot of group-V jet engine oil di-ester which makes it a killer oil.

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 02-27-2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: more