Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-31-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
Syroyizhka

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Lightbulb Is this normal in Manual transmission?

When i start driving and i change to second gear, it won't let me switch back to 1st gear unless i'm completely stopped, or going like 1-2 mph. Why is that? for example when i know i'm gonna stop, i want to change to first gear, and hold the clutch in, than realease the clutch to start going again, but i can't switch to first gear until i'm completely stopped. It feels like somekind of mechanism is blocking it, if i put extra force into it , i can do it, but why?
Syroyizhka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syroyizhka View Post
When i start driving and i change to second gear, it won't let me switch back to 1st gear unless i'm completely stopped, or going like 1-2 mph. Why is that? for example when i know i'm gonna stop, i want to change to first gear, and hold the clutch in, than realease the clutch to start going again, but i can't switch to first gear until i'm completely stopped. It feels like somekind of mechanism is blocking it, if i put extra force into it , i can do it, but why?
Mine's done the same thing since new. Switching to GL4 Amsoil transaxle lube helped reverse, but shifting from 2nd - 1st on a roll has never worked unless going very sloooooow.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Yes, it's normal.

If you're patient, going slow enough (yes, you have to be going slow) and just keep gentle pressure on the lever, what's happening is that the synchros in the transmission are working to bring first gear up to the proper speed to slip in.

If you're less patient, try giving the throttle a little blip after you come out of 2nd, but before you try to go to first. That little blip will spin up the input shaft and if you do it right, it will help smooth the downshift. (it's called "rev-matching", Google it)

While the synchros WILL allow you to downshift to first while you're moving, more often than not, there's no need to do so and you're just causing extra wear on the transmission by doing it. Wait until you're stopped and it will slip right in.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
twowheels

Drives: '09 Meteorite Metallic 3 dr MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
If you're less patient, try giving the throttle a little blip after you come out of 2nd, but before you try to go to first. That little blip will spin up the input shaft and if you do it right, it will help smooth the downshift. (it's called "rev-matching", Google it)

While the synchros WILL allow you to downshift to first while you're moving, more often than not, there's no need to do so and you're just causing extra wear on the transmission by doing it. Wait until you're stopped and it will slip right in.
Double clutching during that blip will also help. I always double clutch into first while moving, on both of my cars.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
Syroyizhka

Thanks guys, knowing that that's normal, makes me 1 less to worry about in my car :)
Old 04-01-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
AlanSRT4

Drives: SRT4
Quote:
No that is not normal you need to take it back to the dealer mine did that since new and untill I made them go over it they did not do anything. I then showed where the car if you rev match is supposed to shift into first gear at 15mph and below. They ended up having to do almost $2600 of work under warrenty on the transmission.
AlanSRT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:30 AM   #7
SeaYa
Is about to 'SeaYa' later

Drives: 08 MT Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanSRT4 View Post
No that is not normal you need to take it back to the dealer mine did that since new and untill I made them go over it they did not do anything. I then showed where the car if you rev match is supposed to shift into first gear at 15mph and below. They ended up having to do almost $2600 of work under warrenty on the transmission.
to the part about it not being normal...not the work they may have done.

See Loren's post.

You said you want to shift into first and hold the clutch in so you can start going again faster....... just keep it in second, or be patient for 1-2 more seconds and slow down more before going into 1st. To avoid some of the wear of jamming it into 1st, try a SSK kit, which will make the shift harder (more effort on your arm, less on the synchs)

Otherwise, (and I hate to have to be a smart ass here) but if you want instant response at any speed, consider trading for an automatic transmission.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
Syroyizhka

No i love my manual transmission, however, $2600 of work? for that? that sounds unbelieveable, my car is not even under warranty anymore, i'm not gonna blow that much money, just so i can shift into first gear while moving, note i can switch into 1st gear while moving, HOWEver, i need to apply double force for it to switch to 1st!
Old 04-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #9
Loren
What?

I think forcing that downshift to first repeatedly is what will CAUSE the need for that kind of transmission work.

Let your synchros work at their own pace, don't force it. The more force you put on it, the more wear you're putting on the synchros. When they wear out, then you'll get a nice GRIND every time you try to downshift to first.

It's a zen thing... be one with your car.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:18 PM   #10
Syroyizhka

what are synchros what do they do?
Old 04-01-2009, 05:25 PM   #11
Loren
What?

Quote:
what are synchros what do they do?
Google is your friend. Synchros are explained on the 4th page.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:39 AM   #12
darkmoon87

Drives: 08 Yaris
Quote:
Google is your friend. Synchros are explained on the 4th page.
thanks for a good link Loren. I learned some new things from it :D

darkmoon87's picture thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10013
darkmoon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:33 AM   #13
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaYa View Post
Otherwise, (and I hate to have to be a smart ass here) but if you want instant response at any speed, consider trading for an automatic transmission.
now THAT's total

MT are far more responsive generally than auto. The Yaris's clutch is just weird.

Thanks indeed, Loren, for the explanation and link.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:29 AM   #14
AlanSRT4

They had to replace pretty much everything in the transmission. Hell the dealer did not even realize that you can rev match down into first gear while moving in any car. And just to make things clear my car would not go into First at all unless stopped if you tried to get it into first it would grind and it did that from brand new. Turns out when they "tested" it they just sat in the parking lot and kept putting it into first over and over or just driving around the lot putting it into first then never tried to down shift it into first gear while moving just like the owners manual says you can.

There are many times in stop and go traffic and other slow areas where being in first is much better then lugging the car around in second gear at like 10mph.

Also now that it has been fixed it is so much more like what I expect a Toyota to be like and now drives like my other manual transmission cars.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:30 AM   #15
AlanSRT4

Quote:
I think forcing that downshift to first repeatedly is what will CAUSE the need for that kind of transmission work.

Let your synchros work at their own pace, don't force it. The more force you put on it, the more wear you're putting on the synchros. When they wear out, then you'll get a nice GRIND every time you try to downshift to first.

It's a zen thing... be one with your car.
Yeah that was the problem with mine it was just that mine were bad from the factory. Must have been built on a Tuesday LOL
Old 04-02-2009, 08:45 AM   #16
SeaYa
Is about to 'SeaYa' later

Drives: 08 MT Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
now THAT's total

MT are far more responsive generally than auto. The Yaris's clutch is just weird.
Yah, it is. Instead of referring to throttle response, I should have said...get the engine to respond without having to do any work other than push your foot down.
Way to keep me honest to the adage...."Mean what you say and say what you mean."
Old 04-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #17
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
The gears are short anyhow. I can start from a dead stop out of second without much vibration. I can't possibly see the need to shift into first while still moving.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission weird manual