Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-27-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
Question TRD rear sway bar?

I've ordered a TRD rear sway bar for my 2009 3dr Yaris. First I'd like to know if anyone has installed this on a base car with no other alterations- and if so- was there a noticeable improvement in handling prowess? Secon did you do it by yourself and how difficult is the install- the ads say it's a 10 minute job but the instructions seem to suggest it'd take the likes of me a couple of hours.

Thanks in advance for the information!
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
1. You will notice the difference for sure!
2. I'd say more like 30 minutes for a slowpoke like me.
3. The Ultra Racing bar I sell is less expensive and the same quality.
4. Search "sway bar install" and you'll find my DIY step by step on this forum.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
^^^^^What he said. First mod I made.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
+2

Easy to install and you will definitely notice a difference.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
Very Big Difference... BIG =) and EXTREMELY EASY TO DO

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
Very easy...especially with a lift. Directions are straightforward and the configuration is basic common sense.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:00 AM   #7
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
i installed without jacking the car up
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
Incredibly easy to install, and it makes a massive difference in how the car feels.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #9
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Is a big difference GOOD or BAD? Can you induce snap oversteer on the highway at 70MPH? I dont want to end up in the weeds going backwards at 60 MPH. The car is pretty neutral FA oversteer goes with a slight proclivity to oversteer on abrupt transitions at speed. The car leans over like a Lincoln though, stock.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:29 PM   #10
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
It's a good difference. The car turns a lot tighter and it feels like the rear end is finally oing something. The body roll can only be cured with better springs/shocks.

The only way you're going to end up with snap oversteer on the highway is if you're doing something absolutely ludicrous. Something so ludicrous that it probably would have happened without a sway bar.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:18 PM   #11
TheRealEnth
Beast

well i was taking a pretty good turn at 105 today and i didnt oversteer, then again its the driver... but yeah you arent going to go 70 and start oversteering.... the car was lifting tho... i need more downforce =(

Its a Chao!!!
Old 05-27-2009, 05:44 PM   #12
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Installation: Easier than changing a tire. A no-brainer you might say.
Significant improvement in handling, road manners and safety. One should be installed on each Yaris by Toyota factory workers. It's that much better.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:03 PM   #13
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
Best mod for the money on a Yaris period.
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:17 AM   #14
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by schleppy View Post
The only way you're going to end up with snap oversteer on the highway is if you're doing something absolutely ludicrous. Something so ludicrous that it probably would have happened without a sway bar.
Well, when you have an "Emergency avoidance maneuver" It will put the suspension to its limit. So I will know what its going to do in a fast lane change, I test it when there is less traffic by slalom-ing about a half lane out of my lane at about 70-75 MPH. With the stock setup with 15" bridgestones with 29psi in the rears, the rear will start to slide, wag or fish tail about a couple inches during this maneuver. I would imagine if I stiffened up the rear, this might become unmanageable and the car would have UNSAFE emergency lane change capabilities. - Anybody want to try and report back, or are you uncapable of advanced driving?
Old 05-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #15
TheRealEnth
Beast

well ... when i slalom'd on stock setup... it felt like i was gonna die =D.. But now with my setup... i can slalom at 70 and it feels controllable... and fun... but i also have a lot of suspension mods already added.

Its a Chao!!!
Old 05-28-2009, 06:33 PM   #16
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
Smile

I am an ordinary driver and wondered about the rear bar. for my day use Based on the responses in the forum I went for it and boy am I glad I did. The car feels MUCH more stable - planted on the road - with WAY less body lean. No noises etc with the bar so it's a big win/ win.

I installed it myself and it was not as easy as it looked in the directions All told it took me almost 3 hours due to the access tightness around the front nut and bolt. I am a perfectionist and alway torque the bolts to spec and the limited access (even with jackstands and the wheels off) made it very difficult to get my torque wrench on the nut and bolt to insure I got exactly 44 ft. pounds on it.

Despite that difficulty I'd do this mod again tomorrow if I had another Yaris- it's really worth it. Just a shame Toyota didn't spec the car stock with a more stiff rear axel so all that work would have been unnecessary in the first place- I saw these Yarises all over Italy on my last trip there and I bet you dollars to donuts the Italian Yarises come with enough roll stiffness in the suspension stock- they'd never buy them over there if they were this wobbily!

Thanks to all on the forum who urged me to go ahead- GOOD advice was given!
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:02 PM   #17
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
hub spacers next! www.penguingarage.com
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:56 PM   #18
TheSilkySmooth

Sound good, guys! I guess its not a REAL sway bar per se, just stiffens the twist beam axle ( Previous generation VW Golf (that handled better IMO) used to use twist beams - I like 'em:) AND, two less wheels to go out of alignment! Just a bit dicey if you find yourself going backwards over 40mpg ...