Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #19
A1an

Drives: '89 Jetta, '07 Rabbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
Chevy? What's that?

Get you a Honda
Not a fan of the Fit. Overpriced in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
The Yaris SE is available with a manual transmission. I've driven one for a week. It is not, however, available in all markets. I cannot get one here in Oregon. I can, however, get one in Sacramento, CA for whatever reason. I believe that is the closest place I can get one.

The Sonic with the 1.4t is a great little car. I've reviewed that one as well. Honestly, if I had to buy a car tomorrow, it'd be between a Yaris SE and a Sonic with the turbo.

FYI:
Chevrolet Sonic LTZ Review
http://www.subcompactculture.com/201...ltz-great.html

Toyota Yaris SE Review
http://www.subcompactculture.com/201...prisingly.html

And Kal-El, to me a transmission makes a huge difference. I won't buy a car with an automatic; it's a deal breaker.
The Sonic was a HUGE suprise to both of us. I have been anti-Chevy since I can remember so us going to the Chevy dealer was me pretty much humoring my wife. We drove a base 1.8 with a stick and I was very impressed with everything about that car (except the seat material...that base cloth is funky). Chevy has come a long way and that car is a game changer for the segment. I wish we could hold out for the RS but we really need a car ASAP.

As far as transmissions go if I run across a deal on a used car that is way too good to pass up then I will forget about my dislike of automatics...but I'll still complain about how much the automatic sucks. ;)
A1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #20
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
Transmission is part of the car choice. I am not a fan of that 4-speed auto...particularly paired with that motor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
And Kal-El, to me a transmission makes a huge difference. I won't buy a car with an automatic; it's a deal breaker.
Absolutely. Just saying that for me, if the Yaris was THE car I wanted, and it couldn't be had with my preference for a manual, then I'd happily settle for the auto. The overall car far outweighs the transmission for me.

But if the Sonic was a very close second, then good for you, enjoy it. It's no doubt a good car.

As for the 4 speed auto in the Yaris mated with the 1.5, it is one of the most bullet proof combo's on the market today. And even for a dated 4-speed, it performs soundly.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #21
J_Lynn
[Space For Rent]

Drives: 2010 LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Looking at a dealer inventory listing it looks like there are only two 5 door blazing blue 2012 MT SE's in the US. One is in Palo Alto, CA and the other in Greenly, CO. A "good" dealer would be able to get one from another area for you.
They sure would ..... when I got my LB, they didn't have what I wanted on the lot - my salesman said, "Oh sweetie - I'll find you that car, I don't care where we have to get it from - but if you want it, as long as Toyota is willing to make it we will get it here for you"

That dealership is lame-o I wonder if Toyota corporate would like to hear your story about how they not only passed up a sale, but made you turn to a Chevy.

(I'm not saying anything bad about a Chevy .... I am 100% a chevy fan, it's either Chevy or Toyota for this girl - but I'm just saying, as a company I wouldn't be happy with that dealership)
Old 03-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #22
J_Lynn
[Space For Rent]

Quote:
Not a fan of the Fit. Overpriced in my opinion.
And ugly
Old 03-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #23
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Alan I never mention the word FIT lol yes they suck, I'd get a nice civic tho
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #24
Gearhd79

Drives: Toyota FJ cruiser
one thing I must have...A 2 door hatch. I can not stand looking at the b pillar every time i look to the left (with the seat where I need it to be) so the SE is out of the question (heard that it is only aval as a 5 door). I owned the ScionXB and had the same issues with that vehicle and got rid of it bec it was a bit too small for me. A 2 door Yaris however is just big enough.
Gearhd79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #25
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
Alan I never mention the word FIT lol yes they suck, I'd get a nice civic tho
The new Civic is even worse. One of the worse redesigns in history. There's almost a universal consensus that it's worse than the 6 year old model it replaced.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #26
DJYojimbo

Drives: 2012 Grey Toyota Yaris SE
Congrats

I would get the new chevy too congrats no hating on my end!
DJYojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #27
DJYojimbo

Drives: 2012 Grey Toyota Yaris SE
I just want a little more power with the automatic though. Stupid suvs on the highway always wanna hit me haha
DJYojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #28
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
The new Civic is even worse. One of the worse redesigns in history. There's almost a universal consensus that it's worse than the 6 year old model it replaced.
And ur entitle to ur opinion
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:21 AM   #29
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-door w/5-speed!
Quote:
Probably for the same reason SE Toyota makes all of the dealers add in another $500 "Southeast Toyota admin fee" on top of dealer fees. It is all about the bottom line. Part of me thinks they saw the deal we were getting on the car and felt there wasn't enough profit for them to bother submitting the order for production.
Bingo.

But to be fair, the Turbo Sonic was my second choice. It is also as I understand it, a fantastic drive.

You could do a hell of a lot worse.
CanIHazYarisHatch? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #30
A1an

Quote:
As for the 4 speed auto in the Yaris mated with the 1.5, it is one of the most bullet proof combo's on the market today. And even for a dated 4-speed, it performs soundly.
No argument that transmission is tough and proven...for me I just think that motor with that transmission kills the fun driving character of the car. Plus I just really like manual transmissions. On a new car it is one of those things I won't compromise on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lynn View Post
That dealership is lame-o I wonder if Toyota corporate would like to hear your story about how they not only passed up a sale, but made you turn to a Chevy.

(I'm not saying anything bad about a Chevy .... I am 100% a chevy fan, it's either Chevy or Toyota for this girl - but I'm just saying, as a company I wouldn't be happy with that dealership)
The dealer was great and the sales manager signed off on the order to be submitted to the regional Toyota distributor (Southeast Toyota Distributors, LLC). SE Toyota is to blame and I am livid. If anyone has any contacts to Toyota Corporate please send them my way. The number we called in the past for assistance with ordering the car directed us to SE Toyota who, big suprise, did nothing to help the situation.

This would have been my third Toyota product and I was honestly considering another in about a year. As it stands right now...as long as I live in the southeast US I will NOT buy another Toyota. Feel like they just wasted a ton of my time with this. If they would have rejected it up front then I would still be unhappy but not to the degree in which I am right now.

Quote:
YES! Honda is reportedly working on a redesign already as well due to the negative reviews from pretty much all the critics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanIHazYarisHatch? View Post
You could do a hell of a lot worse.
A VW? ;) All kidding aside I'm pretty stoked about the Sonic the more I look at it. I think it has a lot of potential. The only thing that worries me is that it is a first year US made car. Hopefully we don't end up helping GM work out the bugs for the first year of production..
Old 03-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #31
J_Lynn
[Space For Rent]

Here is from the Toyota website; I don't know how far it will get you ... but it's a start :)

How do I contact Toyota's Corporate Headquarters?We would like to hear from you. We built Toyota.com to serve you and we value your input. So, please, tell us what you think.

If you have specific questions or comments about Toyota*, a Toyota dealer, or any of our vehicles, please contact the Corporate Headquarters.

Brochures:
800-GO-TOYOTA

Mailing Address:
19001 S. Western Ave.
Dept. WC 11
Torrance, CA 90509-2991

Email:
Email Us

Phone:
800-331-4331
800-443-4999 for TDD
5:00 AM - 6:00 PM Monday - Friday and 7:00 AM - 4:00 PM Saturday, Pacific Time

For calls originating outside the United States:
310-468-4000
7:00 AM - 5:30 PM Pacific Time, Monday - Friday

Contact your local Toyota dealer. To find contact information for the nearest dealer to you, please use the Dealer Locator.

For additional services available to Toyota owners, please visit the Owners Section of Toyota.com.

*Note: Toyota.com is the official Web site of Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. (Please note that Lexus and Scion have separate web sites. Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. only conducts business in the continental United States of America and Alaska. So, if you live in Hawaii, Puerto Rico, another U.S. territory or a different country -- or have questions or comments about Toyota's operations in those areas -- please use our International Directory to visit our other sites. There, you'll find links to Toyota Canada and Toyota Mexico as well as other Toyota web sites from around the world.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #32
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
CALL 1-800-331-4331

EXPLAIN in detail your problem

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #33
CPALK719

Drives: 2012 toyota yaris
I'm sorry to hear about that.. the dealerships here in florida are pretty shady. when i was looking for mine. they all have almost a $2500 to $3000 markup just for the area i see. i noticed you were deadset on a blazing blue, you didnt' consider other color SE models ?? when i was looking i recall a dealership had a white one that was somewhere around my part of florida.

Remember if you wanted one that bad, you might have had to travel abit. i was almost ready to travel to tampa even lakeland to go pick up a 2012 yaris for the right deal of course and that was more then 300 miles away from me.

Either way good luck with what you purchase whether it will be the Sonic or you still consider getting your yaris SE. please do keep us posted. and in case you havent owned a turbo car before they are a hell of alotta fun !
Old 03-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #34
A1an

We were willing to travel a bit but at the time we ordered the only manual transmission SE we found was all the way over in CA. No dealer was willing to transfer it due to cost of transport (can't blame them for that). Right now it still looks like only CA, CO, and I think we found one up in NC but it was a color my wife wouldn't consider.

Will keep you updated on what Toyota has to say about the matter. Something tells me they will file my complaint under misc.

This will be the first new turbo car. My last one was an 86 SVO that I sold about 7-8 years ago. Great car and it was hard to keep my foot out of it.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #35
J_Lynn
[Space For Rent]

I was living in Minnesota and got my LB in Tennessee lol I was going to get it from a dealership in the Twin Cities, but they didn't have the LBs in anything but base models at the time :/ So I was in the process of moving back to TN anyway, and they were willing to do anything. It's really weird how vehicles in general differ in different regions.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #36
CPALK719

Drives: 2012 toyota yaris
Quote:
We were willing to travel a bit but at the time we ordered the only manual transmission SE we found was all the way over in CA. No dealer was willing to transfer it due to cost of transport (can't blame them for that). Right now it still looks like only CA, CO, and I think we found one up in NC but it was a color my wife wouldn't consider.

Will keep you updated on what Toyota has to say about the matter. Something tells me they will file my complaint under misc.

This will be the first new turbo car. My last one was an 86 SVO that I sold about 7-8 years ago. Great car and it was hard to keep my foot out of it.
i recall seeing a white SE somewhere around my area in the south florida region. have you checked cars.com at all? that is unless your sort of dead set on getting the sonic now.